P1000 Review: Brick City Fab V2 Rack vs. Dirt Road Fab Bed Extender

C

Cw733

Jun 16, 2019
SC
I figure I'm one of the few who has both of these, so thought I'd do a quick comparison/review. I ended up with both because I bent the Brick City rack the first time I took it out (ouch!). More on that later.

Below are both products side by side. Brick City on the left (ignore the bend), Dirt Road on the right. The Brick City Fab V2 rack is designed as an external rack to hold a cooler, spare tire, and optionally a Rotopax. The Dirt Road is a bed extender that can also be configured to hold a spare tire and Rotopax, while extending the size of your bed.

View media item 3707
The Brick City rack appears to be constructed of 1.375" diameter, 0.095" wall thickness tubing. The Dirt Road extender uses larger and thicker tubing, coming in at 1.5" diameter with 0.120" wall thickness. The pic below shows a comparison of the tubing size for the main bars, Dirt Road on top, Brick City on bottom.

View media item 3708
This may not appear to be a large difference, but a rough estimate indicates that the larger Dirt Road tubing should take approximately 40% more force before deforming/bending, which is significant. Add that to geometry differences, and the Dirt Road seems to be a good bit more robust.

Both racks use clamps to secure to the ROPS of the Pioneer. Below is a picture comparing the clamp hardware, Brick City on top, Dirt Road on bottom.

View media item 3709
Brick City uses a smaller clamp with two bolts per clamp, while Dirt Road uses a larger clamp with 4 bolts per clamp.

Once the clamps are mounted to the ROPS, both racks mount to the clamps with pins of differing designs. Brick City uses one long pin per side, while Dirt Road uses two smaller pins for each side (optionally, one side can be bolted on permanently). Below is a comparison of the pins, Brick City on top, Dirt Road on bottom. The dirt road pin is slightly larger in diameter and is held in place by a detent ball. The Brick City pin is held in place by a cotter pin.

View media item 3710
Lastly, each rack has a hole (or two for Dirt Road) on each side that the pin slides through to secure the rack to the clamps. Brick City uses a piece of vertical tubing with a rubber bushing at top and bottom to center the pin; Dirt Road uses adjustable heims for each pin (two per side). Below is the Brick City setup.

View media item 3711
One of the downsides to the Brick City design is that the bottom bushing has a tendency to fall out when the rack is swung out, especially if you try to re-insert the pin (I do that so I don't lose it). The Dirt Road heims can be seen in the clamp and pin comparison pictures above.

I hope this helps anyone looking to decide between these two.

How did the Brick City get bent?
On our first outing with the Brick City rack, we got a few feet up a narrow trail that we couldn't get through. No choice but to back out. In doing so, we needed to push against a small (3" diameter) tree to get some clearance to turn around.

After about the third push, the tree laid over and we made it out. I was surprised to see that the Brick City rack had bent, considering I would have pushed that same tree with the factory front bumper and not thought twice. Oh well, you live and you learn.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I figure I'm one of the few who has both of these, so thought I'd do a quick comparison/review. I ended up with both because I bent the Brick City rack the first time I took it out (ouch!). More on that later.

Below are both products side by side. Brick City on the left (ignore the bend), Dirt Road on the right. The Brick City Fab V2 rack is designed as an external rack to hold a cooler, spare tire, and optionally a Rotopax. The Dirt Road is a bed extender that can also be configured to hold a spare tire and Rotopax, while extending the size of your bed.

View media item 3707
The Brick City rack appears to be constructed of 1.375" diameter, 0.095" wall thickness tubing. The Dirt Road extender uses larger and thicker tubing, coming in at 1.5" diameter with 0.120" wall thickness. The pic below shows a comparison of the tubing size for the main bars, Dirt Road on top, Brick City on bottom.

View media item 3708
This may not appear to be a large difference, but a rough estimate indicates that the larger Dirt Road tubing should take approximately 40% more force before deforming/bending, which is significant. Add that to geometry differences, and the Dirt Road seems to be a good bit more robust.

Both racks use clamps to secure to the ROPS of the Pioneer. Below is a picture comparing the clamp hardware, Brick City on top, Dirt Road on bottom.

View media item 3709
Brick City uses a smaller clamp with two bolts per clamp, while Dirt Road uses a larger clamp with 4 bolts per clamp.

Once the clamps are mounted to the ROPS, both racks mount to the clamps with pins of differing designs. Brick City uses one long pin per side, while Dirt Road uses two smaller pins for each side (optionally, one side can be bolted on permanently). Below is a comparison of the pins, Brick City on top, Dirt Road on bottom. The dirt road pin is slightly larger in diameter and is held in place by a detent ball. The Brick City pin is held in place by a cotter pin.

View media item 3710
Lastly, each rack has a hole (or two for Dirt Road) on each side that the pin slides through to secure the rack to the clamps. Brick City uses a piece of vertical tubing with a rubber bushing at top and bottom to center the pin; Dirt Road uses adjustable heims for each pin (two per side). Below is the Brick City setup.

View media item 3711
One of the downsides to the Brick City design is that the bottom bushing has a tendency to fall out when the rack is swung out, especially if you try to re-insert the pin (I do that so I don't lose it). The Dirt Road heims can be seen in the clamp and pin comparison pictures above.

I hope this helps anyone looking to decide between these two.

How did the Brick City get bent?
On our first outing with the Brick City rack, we got a few feet up a narrow trail that we couldn't get through. No choice but to back out. In doing so, we needed to push against a small (3" diameter) tree to get some clearance to turn around.

After about the third push, the tree laid over and we made it out. I was surprised to see that the Brick City rack had bent, considering I would have pushed that same tree with the factory front bumper and not thought twice. Oh well, you live and you learn.
What is the difference in the price of the 2 racks?

Reactions: Smitty335
C

Cw733

Jun 16, 2019
SC
What is the difference in the price of the 2 racks?

The Brick City is cheaper. I paid $542.59 shipped for the BCF, that includes the 10% forum discount. I paid $670.00 for the DRF. Keep in mind there are some cost differences depending on how you configure it. The BCF I ordered had a rotopax mount, the DRF doesn't (but can be ordered with one). I think you'd pay another $25 to get a rotopax mount on the DRF.

I haven't put the DRF through its paces yet, but Dezrik on these forums has beat his pretty good. As of right now, I'd say the BCF is fine if you only ride wide open areas. I live in SC, so we ride a lot of woods, and no matter what you do, stuff is gonna get banged up. In that case, I'd probably pay the extra and get the DRF.

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can honestly say Ive put the DRF rack to the ultimate test. It has kept me from tipping over completely backwards a few times. I've used it to pull others through trails when their machines have went down. I've used it to haul endless things. Hell the rack hasn't moved a inch through it all but I finally did it to the cage however lol!

20190905 223902

ShadowAero

ShadowAero

“Big Tasty”
Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2017
Mount Dora, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been trying to decide which one to buy. In the use department the both have advantages. The brick city cooler mount is easier to get to your drinks food etc. but it does not have the extra cargo space for other items since it's not a bed extender. The Dirt City does not block the rear lights (i added a third brake light so not sure that's a big deal). And of course the build differences as you pointed out above.
For the price i really wish i could get the Dirt Road in powdercoat white. Brick city offers this for no extra cost and offers a 10% forum discount (need to check to see if still available).

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well, Ive avoided this the last year. But your doing comparisons so here it goes. So I have the V2 rack. As a matter if fact i have 2. Was really happy with the rack, BCF is one of the original venders here. I was in Colorado in 19’ on a club ride and was alerted to my atten that the rack was dragging. It split right in half! Clean brake, almost a yr old. Got ahold of BCF and at first they were was in sighting i did something to cause it. Then they seen the pics i sent and said they seen the problem, a bracket was in the wrong spot and would send me another one. Stand behind there product and take care of the customer right? Was very happy. Got the new one, with relocated bracket. Rode 2 rides and not rough ones and snapped again. After getting ahold of them and sending pics ahead of time, i was told this time that they will not replace it and that its basically my fault and that the 30” tire im using must be at fault cuz they claimed theyve not heard of others having the problem (maybe true but..)and told me to just weld it back. Point in case:They state on there site to tell them the tire size (at witch i did both times) so they could make the rack accordingly. They also didnt want want to budge at all or even have a Sensible conversation about a solution so this wouldnt happen again! I was willing to pay shipping back or something but never had the chance they made it short and sweet how they wanted to handle it and it to be gone imo.

So if that helps with your decision guys, your welcome.

Yes i welded the broken one and even sleeved it. So far so good with some stress fractures im now seeing down the line. Will see.

D

Dirt-roadfab

Aug 25, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been trying to decide which one to buy. In the use department the both have advantages. The brick city cooler mount is easier to get to your drinks food etc. but it does not have the extra cargo space for other items since it's not a bed extender. The Dirt City does not block the rear lights (i added a third brake light so not sure that's a big deal). And of course the build differences as you pointed out above.
For the price i really wish i could get the Dirt Road in powdercoat white. Brick city offers this for no extra cost and offers a 10% forum discount (need to check to see if still available).

You are the first to ask for white and I would be happy to do one in white for you for no charge. I also offer a 10% discount for forum members. PM me if you would like to discuss further.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!