P1000 Ride Debrief

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whew, headed out with my wife and the dogs yesterday for a day ride up our old favorite sandwash. First time back in at least 5 years. We have fond memories of 20 years ago carving up this awsome wash on a CR-500 and a Suzuki 250 Quad racer...and even 5 years ago it was still virgin sand.

Holy crap! Everyone in So. Nevada must now use this wash to commute! It was SO FRIGG"N rutted and washboard our top speed was 15 mph. You just couldn't get on top of it and it about shook out your teeth...for a full ten miles we fought that shirt 'till we hit the powerline...What a frigg'n disappointment.

Then the heat! OMG...Ambient was about 95°f and going that speed we just about ROASTED in the cab of the Pioneer. My wife had a huge red spot on her lower back and at one point the frigg'n dogs wouldn't even get back in! We drank probably 3 gallons of water between us all and didn't even eat our picnic.

I didn't have my low pressure gauge but did carefully let some air out of the tires and it did improve the ride.

So..the first long daytrip SUCKED...LOL Just hope the next run goes better. :-(

We DID hit the Tri-State monument which was WAY cool! AZ/UT/NV

20170522 114344
20170522 114410

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sounds like you got a bunch of modifications coming!

CP: This group looked for anything rough and had a great time. It wasn't all about who was the best or correct line just some good ol boys with a beer and a 4wd.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
'Bout the only thing that would make that sandwash was smooth is flying over in a helicopter...the ultimate off road vehicle!

Na, it is what it is...I'm not sure what mods you can do to a Pioneer 1000 that would have made 10 miles (that's one way!!) of 6"- 8" ruts and washboards comfortable...ya just live with it.

Now the heat, that's another story. Bilge fans, some ducting and insulation strategically placed could make a huge difference. Come winter I'll gladly welcome the heat, but for now...Heat, Heat, GO AWAY...LOL

For all the wondrous things Honda engineering does, they FLAT missed the ball here. Can you imagine if they had came up with a way to duct that unwanted heat into the cab in the winter and dump it out in the summer what a huge selling point that would be?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You'd be surprised what aftermarket shocks do! They are a big expense though. Also, a set of 30" tires aired down would help a lot.

You've got to do the heat barrier and fan! In the winter, remove the heat barrier and leave the fan off.

CP: This group looked for anything rough and had a great time. It wasn't all about who was the best or correct line just some good ol boys with a beer and a 4wd.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
'Bout the only thing that would make that sandwash was smooth is flying over in a helicopter...the ultimate off road vehicle!

Na, it is what it is...I'm not sure what mods you can do to a Pioneer 1000 that would have made 10 miles (that's one way!!) of 6"- 8" ruts and washboards comfortable...ya just live with it.

Now the heat, that's another story. Bilge fans, some ducting and insulation strategically placed could make a huge difference. Come winter I'll gladly welcome the heat, but for now...Heat, Heat, GO AWAY...LOL

For all the wondrous things Honda engineering does, they FLAT missed the ball here. Can you imagine if they had came up with a way to duct that unwanted heat into the cab in the winter and dump it out in the summer what a huge selling point that would be?
Yea Honda had the junior achiever engineers on the heat issue.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ha, ain't got's no rain in Nevada!
Until you get heat shield or fan put clothing or towels in the back edge of the seat and same for the front if you can. The back is way worse especially center.
No windshield is best but consider taking the rubber out of the bottom if you want to retain 1/2 windshield.
Agreement with Joey on shocks. It's a big price but it is worth it if someone can invest.

Reactions: Stauvo and pct
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from WV all the info you need to fix your problems are a Great bunch guys and willing to help

Reactions: CumminsPusher
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from WV nice ride everything you need to know can be found here

Reactions: CumminsPusher
T

TheBreeze

Jan 6, 2017
Van,Tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just installed the Honda 2pc windshield this weekend. Now I understand what everyone is talking about, the back draft sucks the heat front between the seats big time.
So I got the car sunshade and made the heat shield for under the seat and up the back, WOW what a difference now.
I'm sure the fans will work great as well but so far very happy with the heat shield.
We are prepping for a trip to CO next month and my wife thought a windshield might make her happy.
Here is East TX it's a must for the evening bugs also!

Reactions: elkguide
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just installed the Honda 2pc windshield this weekend. Now I understand what everyone is talking about, the back draft sucks the heat front between the seats big time.
So I got the car sunshade and made the heat shield for under the seat and up the back, WOW what a difference now.
I'm sure the fans will work great as well but so far very happy with the heat shield.
We are prepping for a trip to CO next month and my wife thought a windshield might make her happy.
Here is East TX it's a must for the evening bugs also!

Between the rain and the bugs, I'm sure that I'd have been riding alone if I didn't have a windshield too!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!