ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay guys and gals, the rifle mount threads I found were a bit dated... What's the latest?

Do we like these? If so, does the seat belt lock them down tight?

S l400

Overhead?

Anyone figure out a good way to mount the Kolpin gun boots?

B

bluepythons

Feb 16, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The seatbelt does not lock it down very tight. I received one as a sample to check out and while it works ok its not the best

Reactions: Lady01 and ACfixer
ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The seatbelt does not lock it down very tight. I received one as a sample to check out and while it works ok its not the best
That was my fear, thank you. I was thinking it would need some mod to use it with a ratchet strap or something.

Reactions: Lady01
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It all depends on your personal needs. I have to have my center seat open so anything using that space doesn’t work. You’ll notice that the roof is very high on our machines so there’s plenty of room for an overhead rack. That’s were I put mine. Holds rifles secure and they are also out of site from anyone walking by.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I really want to try one of those gun holders on the seat. The problem I have with nearly all gun holders is that they will damage the finish on my guns. Other than my AR, I am not willing to let a stupid gun holder ruin the finish on expensive guns. This is literally the reason that I rarely have a long gun in my pioneer. I do have one of those hard plastic boots with a soft liner inside. Not exactly a "quick draw" setup, but I think it's safer for the gun. I have not used it on my 1000 though

ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am not willing to let a stupid gun holder ruin the finish on expensive guns. This is literally the reason that I rarely have a long gun in my pioneer.

This is exactly why I have a Remington 700 VTR in both .308 and a .223 (synthetic stock, parkerized...) ehart814. I take care of them, I love them like I love my beautiful rifles... but I just don't stress when they are in a side x side. I just learned that I have to have a rifle or two that are hunting tools, we don't worry about scratching our camp shovel right? :p

B

bluepythons

Feb 16, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really want to try one of those gun holders on the seat. The problem I have with nearly all gun holders is that they will damage the finish on my guns. Other than my AR, I am not willing to let a stupid gun holder ruin the finish on expensive guns. This is literally the reason that I rarely have a long gun in my pioneer. I do have one of those hard plastic boots with a soft liner inside. Not exactly a "quick draw" setup, but I think it's safer for the gun. I have not used it on my 1000 though
I throw my $4k rifles around all the time lol, in and out of barrels, off and on rocks, barricades whatever. Scratches build character, the UTV is the least harmful thing for them ha ha.

ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I throw my $4k rifles around all the time lol, in and out of barrels, off and on rocks, barricades whatever. Scratches build character, the UTV is the least harmful thing for them ha ha.

Then there's that... sometimes a rifle is worth $4K because it's scarce and pristine, sometimes they are worth $4K because of the money you put into setting them up right? The latter go into the Honda, they are tools. My beautiful walnut and blued guns from yesteryear are for another mission. :)

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I bought a Cabela's double gun case to keep dust off the guns. It should do that but it's not exactly "handy" and is big enough to extend beyond the roll bars on the 700. Overhead is good for AR's but I may soon switch to my 6.8 AR pistol with 10.5 barrel which is much easier to handle inside and easier to store.

$50 guns are worth a million when you can reach them in times of need.

GregOverstreet

GregOverstreet

Dec 6, 2020
Sequim, Washington
Ownership

1. 500
I haven’t taken delivery of my P520 yet, but one of the things I’ll experiment with is putting a rifle in a gun sock and seeing if there’s a place to lay it. Might not work. We’ll see. My main SxS rifle will be an all-weather stainless lever gun with a laminate stock, which I picked to resist wear from riding around in a UTV.

Last edited:
Jensenj71

Jensenj71

Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2018
Meridian, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried the overhead Seizmic and didn't like the clearance. I am 6ft tall and the gun is too close to my head. I also only have 32" inseam which works out to longer trunk. Knocks my baseball cap around on bumps. I think it would be fine for folks 5'10" or shorter.

ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried the overhead Seizmic and didn't like the clearance. I am 6ft tall and the gun is too close to my head. I also only have 32" inseam which works out to longer trunk. Knocks my baseball cap around on bumps. I think it would be fine for folks 5'10" or shorter.
I'm a little more than 6'1" but with a 33 inseam myself and your post is exactly what I was thinking about concerning overhead storage.

What about some way to mount the Kolpin gun boots anyone? Perhaps on the inside of the rear roll cage facing front/back?

I have every manner of gun sock and hard case etc... but all that kind of boils down to transporting a weapon rather than "bearing" it if you know what I mean.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last edited:
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
This is exactly why I have a Remington 700 VTR in both .308 and a .223 (synthetic stock, parkerized...) ehart814. I take care of them, I love them like I love my beautiful rifles... but I just don't stress when they are in a side x side. I just learned that I have to have a rifle or two that are hunting tools, we don't worry about scratching our camp shovel right? :p
I understand both of you, and I do have a couple plastic stock guns that I'm not as worried about. I guess I was just raised to take good care of them so it just really bothers me to have a mark on them anywhere, and I worry about bumping it and losing zero.

Also, I am looking to buy a new gun that truly will be a "hunting tool". Buying it in case I get another opportunity to go on a Colorado hunt. Savage Ultralight. If they made them in Left handed, I'd have it by now. I asked Savage about it and they acknowledged that there is a lot of demand for them so I'm hopeful that there will be one available in the next year. That one will get a lot of use so that I'm 100% confident in it before a real hunt.

ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I understand both of you, and I do have a couple plastic stock guns that I'm not as worried about. I guess I was just raised to take good care of them so it just really bothers me to have a mark on them anywhere, and I worry about bumping it and losing zero.

We're getting into a different topic here, which is okay because I love to talk guns :D, but a quality optic won't lose zero from a buggy bump, no way. Look at the bump your rifle takes every time you fire it... I use Leupold, but any good optic will suffice and that's the difference between a $79 Barska Scope and a $500 Leup. I've had my .308 slide down piles of rocks in Arizona and it still shoots dead-nuts. It had a pretty good ding on the bell, sent it in to Leupold and a month later it came back looking brand new free of charge.

I get what you are saying, I have a Weatherby that no way goes in the SxS because it is just beautiful, but let's face it, Roy Weatherby didn't design the Mark V to be a safe queen and I need to get over it. Bluepythons already has, I'm part way there... c'mon, let's hunt. ;)

mj1angier

mj1angier

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2020
NC

This

Guns that are in SXS are tools. If I am bringing out a safe queen it’s going to be in a padded case lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!