P1000 rkwerner's Wisconsin 1000

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The puddles that killed mine weren't up to the axels so be careful with any speed as well.

After setting until I could get it pulled out the intake was full to the first elbow in the front, one cylinder had water and my air filter (which was above the water) was soaked. I had to be really close to killing it. Certainly going to be more careful in the future. After seeing the routing on the air intake I'm not terribly surprised by the water ingestion issues.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello from Lena, WI. I am new to the side by side game but not new to offroading. I have previously had a couple ATV's and my soon to be former toy was a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser that I modified for offroading. I graduated from college with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and moved from Michigan to Wisconsin. After moving I decided that wheeling a full size SUV was more limited here in Wisconsin than in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and decided to start looking for a side by side.

Well on June 20th I drove down to Milwaukee to pick up my new green 2016 Pioneer 1000-3. It was the last 2016 they had and a California model. I couldn't pass up the deal that the dealer had on it.

View attachment 48698

I already it stuck on my property (we have had a ton of rain this year) and finally got it out on my first ride last weekend. A 50 mile round trip from Gillett to Mountain and back. It was a lot of fun until I hit a rain storm (rookie mistake to not check the weather first, a very cold 17 miles back).

So now I begin the build process. I plan to take a trip from Gillett, WI to Copper Harbor, MI in August so I started ordering parts this weekend.

So first round of Mods:
- KFI Winch Mount
- Superwinch Terra 45 Synthetic Rope Winch
- Super ATV Flip out Windshield
- Honda Bimini Soft Top
- OxGord UTV Side View Mirrors

I'll post pictures and keep this thread updated with my progress.
I was planning that same trip for this summer, but kind of ran out of time and money! Id still like to make that ride. Keep us posted, and oh yeah, don't bother with the soft top. Just get the hard top first. You'll end up getting it anyway.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After setting until I could get it pulled out the intake was full to the first elbow in the front, one cylinder had water and my air filter (which was above the water) was soaked. I had to be really close to killing it. Certainly going to be more careful in the future. After seeing the routing on the air intake I'm not terribly surprised by the water ingestion issues.
Did the same to mine. Had to flush it out on the side of the trail, ended up pulling the plugs and cranking it until most of the water was out of the cylinders and fired it up and rode back to the trailer. Glad you didn't lock it up!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was planning that same trip for this summer, but kind of ran out of time and money! Id still like to make that ride. Keep us posted, and oh yeah, don't bother with the soft top. Just get the hard top first. You'll end up getting it anyway.
Yeah I wanted the hard top but I've also spent a lot of money on this rig without selling my FJ Cruiser. That was the plan, sell one toy, buy another but at just under $10k for a new P1K my plan shifted.

Girlfriend also wanted to be able to easily remove the top so she can get sun on the trails so I figured the soft top was a good cheap option for now.

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did the same to mine. Had to flush it out on the side of the trail, ended up pulling the plugs and cranking it until most of the water was out of the cylinders and fired it up and rode back to the trailer. Glad you didn't lock it up!

Yeah had I not been riding with another UTV and been close to the trailhead I would have tried on the trail but I figured this way was the safer bet.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A snorkel is your friend.
Glad it turned out OK for you.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Alright I have finally put some miles on the 1K. 365 miles over two days running from Dunbar, WI to Copper Harbor, MI. It was a great ride, I picked up a nail in the drivers front tire and had the passenger side seatbelt lock up. Other than those minor issues no other problems with the P1K or the Honda Fourtrax Rancher that I rode with. We met up with a couple guys with RZR 1000 turbos that were doing a similar ride. We didn't ride together (no way we could have kept up) but we ran into them at a hotel, bar and restaurant along the way.

How are you all posting pictures now that photobucket screwed with things?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@rkwerner
Right next to the post reply button is upload a file. That has been my avenue for uploading pictures to the site. I post from a PC or safari on my iPad. I do not know if that button is there across Tap a talk and other platforms.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright I have finally put some miles on the 1K. 365 miles over two days running from Dunbar, WI to Copper Harbor, MI. It was a great ride, I picked up a nail in the drivers front tire and had the passenger side seatbelt lock up. Other than those minor issues no other problems with the P1K or the Honda Fourtrax Rancher that I rode with. We met up with a couple guys with RZR 1000 turbos that were doing a similar ride. We didn't ride together (no way we could have kept up) but we ran into them at a hotel, bar and restaurant along the way.

Nice! Wish I could have come. Just about to roll 2k miles on mine. It's been a great machine!

Reactions: rkwerner
advertisement
R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nice! Wish I could have come. Just about to roll 2k miles on mine. It's been a great machine!

It was a lot of fun. I would have liked to take a bit more time to do it (2 days was not enough time to really enjoy the trip). The weather was also really rainy so we opted for hotels both nights. The other guy I was riding with wanted to be home Saturday so we trailered home instead of riding back.
20170818 181820
20170818 202329
20170817 162651

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@rkwerner
Right next to the post reply button is upload a file. That has been my avenue for uploading pictures to the site. I post from a PC or safari on my iPad. I do not know if that button is there across Tap a talk and other platforms.

Awesome. The other forums I have been on haven't had a good upload option and really kinda forced photobucket. $400 a year to post a few forum pics is a bit outrageous.

Reactions: moparornocar
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Hondasxs might chime in otherwise, but i believe uploading pics is the preferred method on this forum.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@Hondasxs might chime in otherwise, but i believe uploading pics is the preferred method on this forum.
Yes. No hot links here.
In fact. When a image from photofu*ket was posted. It was copied over. We had 7 post in total effected. Most direct links or videos.

Upload ability is set at 10mb.
Should be enough for most smart phone images to upload.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!