Rock Crawling Strategy: Part 2 - Rocks

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok, thanks, pulled trigger on Factory UTV skid plate/rock sliders.

So rock crawlers, what are your thoughts on the need of X Brace (factory utv) ?

I understand more protection can't hurt, but also want to avoid accessories I don't need to focus budget on those I do.

Reactions: Tramguage1
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I agree with @PaulF on the toughness of the 1/2" UHMW and I do not have a X Brace on mine either. I would say I do send it pretty hard and mine is gtg!! I plan on going with Factory UTV skids on my next Talon!

Reactions: TripleB and Mudwing
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
How do you all approach big rock sections?

As a newbie to rock crawling, is it essentially unavoidable to hit your undercarriage and scrape?

I go slow but once the rocks get a certain size it just seems unavoidable.

If going slowly totry to minimize the force of the impacts, can one avoiddamage with a skid plate or is damage also inevitable?

My Tacoma Buddy uses the rock sliders in a big way.
Are they the same effectiveness on a Talon?
I was running into issues with this too. I bought 32" tires and rock sliders/tree kickers and have little to no worries now.

I'm really happy with the rock sliders/tree kickers, best purchase by far! These are from warhead off-road in WV. 1b6a0b4209f7b2797922491209959ae13fb871dff9c071517a6bfd554deac0c5

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Backwoods
terratrooper

terratrooper

Jul 7, 2020
Adrian PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Do you guys think there a need or value for rock sliders in addition to the Trail Armor Skid Plate with integral rocker panel sliders?

Saw Trail Armor states the Honda Nerf Bars do t work with their skid plate. Do others or is it unnecessary weight and expense?

cheers,

s
I don't exclusively rock crawl. I'm from PA and we have narrow tree lined trails. I also ride areas of Colorado and South Dakota which have pretty technical rock sections. I have the factory Honda nerf bars. They work excellently here in PA helping slide around trees on tight trails. The one on the right side also saved my doors and probably fenders too once when I rolled onto my side. The buggy was kind of resting on the nerf bar and front wheel and the edge of the roof. We just returned from South Dakota and we rode the Camp 5 trail there which is extremely rocky and technical in some sections. My sliders took a serious beating and have the missing paint to prove it but have not dented or bent. I like that the nerf bars are away from the frame far enough to keep the rocks from grabbing the wheel wells. I will be purchasing a Super ATV or similar plastic skid plate before our trip to Colorado in October.

Reactions: Montecresto
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I don't exclusively rock crawl. I'm from PA and we have narrow tree lined trails. I also ride areas of Colorado and South Dakota which have pretty technical rock sections. I have the factory Honda nerf bars. They work excellently here in PA helping slide around trees on tight trails. The one on the right side also saved my doors and probably fenders too once when I rolled onto my side. The buggy was kind of resting on the nerf bar and front wheel and the edge of the roof. We just returned from South Dakota and we rode the Camp 5 trail there which is extremely rocky and technical in some sections. My sliders took a serious beating and have the missing paint to prove it but have not dented or bent. I like that the nerf bars are away from the frame far enough to keep the rocks from grabbing the wheel wells. I will be purchasing a Super ATV or similar plastic skid plate before our trip to Colorado in October.
What part of PA? East?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!