AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
While out riding on Memorial Day we used all of the suspension and quite a bit of the stock skid plates during some rousing trail rides. When we got home I was doing an engine and subtrans oil change. When I got to the subtrans drain bolt it was barely finger tight. Apparently I hit a rock hard enough that it pushed the skid plate up and knicked the very edge of the drain bolt, enough to start loosening it.

Obviously it could have been WAY worse (crack the case, lose the bolt) but I skated by on dumb luck. If you bottom hard it may be worth checking bolts. I'll also be looking into better skid protection.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
While out riding on Memorial Day we used all of the suspension and quite a bit of the stock skid plates
No need to write the rest. We talk about it on here more than FJB falls!

That G-string of a skid is the biggest joke this side of the Mississippi. Shame on you and anyone else that keeps doubting us on this. Now if you truly didnt know then 🤷‍♂️ Hard ass lessoned learned. Your fortunate you didnt crack your belly pan

AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
No need to write the rest. We talk about it on here more than FJB falls!

That G-string of a skid is the biggest joke this side of the Mississippi. Shame on you and anyone else that keeps doubting us on this. Now if you truly didnt know then 🤷‍♂️ Hard ass lessoned learned. Your fortunate you didnt crack your belly pan
Yep, truly didn't know. I love the machine but there's just so much that would be easy for Honda to just do in the first place. Yes, it would cost a bit more but probably not a lot.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
there's just so much that would be easy for Honda to just do in the first place.
Thats like talkin to a brick wall. Theyve been thay way forever. Theres threads galore on that on here as well.
Mainly so u can dress it up the way you want.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It would definitely take a bite out of the aftermarket.
If Honda incorporated something every time someone said, "Honda really should do this or that at the factory", that would price the vast majority of buyers out of the SXS market.

As an owner and rider, it's your responsibility to evaluate how and where you will use your machine and add the necessary bits and pieces you feel you need. Again, not every owner will need the same things.

A skid plate is not likely necessary if you're going to be using your SXS on the farm or ranch, nor if you 're going to be riding flat roads with little to no possibility of dealing with large rocks, boulders, or debris. That's why Honda doesn't add a $1K skid plate to the standard BOM for a Pioneer or Talon.

That said, I did a ton of research (yes, @Smitty335, actual research, STARTING but not ENDING with questioning other forum members and product consumers) on skid plates and related protection. I felt the best choice for me was the 1/2" UHMW polymer skid set by Trail Armor for my Pioneer 1K. They were a bit spendy, but well worth it. I believe they do offer skid plate sets for some of the Talon models.

Last edited:
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Yep, truly didn't know. I love the machine but there's just so much that would be easy for Honda to just do in the first place. Yes, it would cost a bit more but probably not a lot.
Yep, sometimes it’s hard to know all you need until you find out you needed it!) In my experience you can a couple things to your Talon and it will go anywhere. That list for me is a winch, high clearance lower aarms and lower rear radius rods, and skid plate (I personally like the Factory UTV one). I would say 32 inch tires but that is a little more subjective. With those changes I have been almost everywhere at RRB, Tackett, Brimstone, and some Windrock. Just my cheap .02!)

AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
Yep, sometimes it’s hard to know all you need until you find out you needed it!) In my experience you can a couple things to your Talon and it will go anywhere. That list for me is a winch, high clearance lower aarms and lower rear radius rods, and skid plate (I personally like the Factory UTV one). I would say 32 inch tires but that is a little more subjective. With those changes I have been almost everywhere at RRB, Tackett, Brimstone, and some Windrock. Just my cheap .02!)
Just add $$$! In the short term I think I'll have to slow down a bit. My financial officer is also my copilot.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Sexy!

RenderedImage
65153642442  161EEF1B E4F5 4CC1 BEC5 8D8975E8414F 73950979 1E8B 41EE 98FF AAC1830B1365

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If Honda incorporated something every time someone said, "Honda really should do this or that at the factory", that would price the vast majority of buyers out of the SXS market.

… I felt the best choice for me was the 1/2" UHMW polymer skid set by Trail Armor for my Pioneer 1K. They were a bit spending, but well worth it. I believe they do offer skid plate sets for some of the Talon models.
Yep, TA makes an awesome 1/2” skid for the Talon. I love the wrap up the sides, under the doors, full coverage.

TA’s photo -

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm a fan of Ricochet's skids, when I bought them they were the only one out there that didn't require drilling more holes or using self tapping screws, both were a definite "no bueno" in my book. They've saved me from some big $$ repairs.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!