Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
They aren't perfect they could be a slightly different width and depth to really maximize what fits in the bed, but for me they are reasonably affordable, stay put, light, and easy to access. Its my perfectionist personality, I can nitpick everything to death, which is why I am always looking for something better.
Yea, but being able to seperate what you bring is added bonus with those. Mine i have a bog box weather its full or not. At least with those you can only bring the boxes you want for that ride. I like that.

Reactions: BWAF and ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea, but being able to seperate what you bring is added bonus with those. Mine i have a bog box weather its full or not. At least with those you can only bring the boxes you want for that ride. I like that.

Exactly, I’ll probably rearrange stuff as I go based on that too.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

7d8229ee0dbfc1b21af9308671ef892d

This was a pain I think I used more than a dozen ratchet straps to hold everything so I could get to it....

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finally got around to fixing the a-arm holes, a member who I’d call a good friend a spectacular machinist, made me some pieces to thicken the mounts and trap the head and washer of a specific grade 10.1 bolt.

Top is mine.
Middle is factory new.
Bottom is the custom setup.
8E72DB4A DCC8 49A1 91B6 C2B430982FC0

3ABE0C80 2C0F 4828 87D8 B280F02946E2

DON’T forget to trap the a-arm or you’ll be messing with the CV joint.
5F98B809 31E1 49A5 99C8 A92BDB60E701

I ground the face clean of paint and mud cleaned all the oil off and then bolted everything back up. Then tacked the new washer in.
9EC33DBC 3302 44FC BCC7 EA7E8D96A41A

Time to cool and a little tractor implement paint later...
35BA4EE7 6710 43E4 A9EC 496CDAB6E1BB

A1509A41 6CA0 42AB B2A3 B31C8A41665B
I realized I never added a picture of the hole in the bushing I added some there was no way for the marine grease to get to the bolt, but found it when I was looking for my old video of the slack.

Before with original bolts and maybe somewhat worn bushings.

After with new bolts and new bushings.

Now the only slack I have in the front end is the steering rack bushing...which probably got a lot of extra wear due to the movement of the a-arms.

Last edited:
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I finally got around to fixing the a-arm holes, a member who I’d call a good friend a spectacular machinist, made me some pieces to thicken the mounts and trap the head and washer of a specific grade 10.1 bolt.

Top is mine.
Middle is factory new.
View attachment 91134

View attachment 91136

I ground the face clean of paint and mud cleaned all the oil off and then bolted everything back up. Then tacked the new washer in.
View attachment 91135

View attachment 91137

View attachment 91138
I realized I never added a picture of the hole in the bushing I added some there was no way for the marine grease to get to the bolt, but found it when I was looking for my old video of the slack.

Now the only slack I have in the front end is the steering rack bushing...which probably got a lot of extra wear due to the movement of the a-arms.
Just had to do the same thing to mine!!!

20181013 102722

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good fix

Top is mine.
Middle is factory new.
View attachment 91134

View attachment 91136

View attachment 91135

View attachment 91137

View attachment 91138

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You guys that have slots instead of bolt holes on the a-arms....how do you keep it on the trail???

I had gotten so used to the sloppy steering when I took it out for a spin today it was like a whole new machine. Felt like it was on rails it was so much better.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You guys that have slots instead of bolt holes on the a-arms....how do you keep it on the trail???

I had gotten so used to the sloppy steering when I took it out for a spin today it was like a whole new machine. Felt like it was on rails it was so much better.
Man I said the same thing, feels totally different. Didn't realize how loose it had gotten over time. I double nutted my bolts and I'll keep a better eye on things this time!

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Is the slots an issue with stock arms as well? Or aftermarket only?

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did it just happen on the side/ hole where the threaded end of the bolt goes or on the end with the bolt head. Just curious. Slick fix you did... I imagine that there might be a market for it soon enough. I have been pumping in the grease prior to any really big rides in hopes to avoid.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did it just happen on the side/ hole where the threaded end of the bolt goes or on the end with the bolt head. Just curious. Slick fix you did... I imagine that there might be a market for it soon enough. I have been pumping in the grease prior to any really big rides in hopes to avoid.

It was mainly on the rear bolt hole, which is the threaded end because you can’t get the bolt in from the rear.

I was looking for a tight tolerance thick washer. When the other member came up with the machined part idea (I would post his user name but I don’t know that he wants to make 100sets.)

Theres still a tiny bit of play but you can’t eliminate it ALL, there has to be enough room for the bolt to turn. I’m hoping the grease will help not hurt, we will see in a few hundred miles. When you make modifications you have to be willing to make repairs, because you might push a part you didn’t modify past the failure point.

Factory, they hold up and take us places you wouldn’t begin to suspect for just an “old farm rig”

Mine was making noise but really started making noise when @westnpioneer and I raced the entire takeover group to the Top of the World the long rough way. I need to soften the spring rates on my shocks, that will help too.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I have the set of the pre-production Fox shock because I picked them up for far less than the new ones, problem is they were pre-production enough the dual springs were both too stiff and too weak. @snuffnwhisky had some springs with different rates up for grabs. Swapped them over and ride improved drastically, still need to mess with pre-load.
4E509E1F 3E7A 439B B175 7C802DBA0A2C
These are just tight enough to stay in place, and show the length difference.
5DDAF6B2 570A 4910 818E F347DDE512A7
I’m digging the black on silver.
A7631576 4B2C 4697 A9AF 22D0A264C5B9
CD88C006 733B 4A49 AD71 71597166767E
39161FA7 6B9A 40ED A3E7 E4314EE70E5E
Log tried to take his leg, his shop decided to take revenge
480072D8 057D 44DA 9FCC 62EF987F57CB
6CCD51E1 20E1 4FC2 9B09 B4C1F187AD69
This man is a maestro with metal, I picked up a pair of X3 XRS retractable harnesses and (was going to install a BCF harness bar with the retractable harnesses it really wouldn’t fit in it without cutting the factory headrest mounts completely off) after holding parts while he tacked and watching him work I’m embarrassed to even call myself a grinder. I letterally had nothing to contribute welding wise. I snapped this pic on my way out of town for a few days but a quick test drive and I’m happier than a hog in mud, I’ll get it cleaned up and painted when I get back but I liked them so much I figured I’d throw them out there for others to see if they were considering retractable harnesses or didn’t know they existed. They take a second or two longer than a standard seatbelt to get into but they allow free movement forward to reach things while keeping you in place with the manual lap belt.

5B065C73 2ECF 49B9 A364 B21EAAC495F2

J

JTW

So I have the set of the pre-production Fox shock because I picked them up for far less than the new ones, problem is they were pre-production enough the dual springs were both too stiff and too weak. @snuffnwhisky had some springs with different rates up for grabs. Swapped them over and ride improved drastically, still need to mess with pre-load.
View attachment 92075
These are just tight enough to stay in place, and show the length difference.
View attachment 92078
I’m digging the black on silver.
View attachment 92079
View attachment 92076
View attachment 92082
Log tried to take his leg, his shop decided to take revenge
View attachment 92081
View attachment 92080
This man is a maestro with metal, I picked up a pair of X3 XRS retractable harnesses and (was going to install a BCF harness bar but with the retractable harnesses it really wouldn’t fit in it without cutting the factory headrest mounts completely off) after holding parts while he tacked and watching him work I’m embarrassed to even call myself a grinder. I letterally had nothing to contribute welding wise. I snapped this pic on my way out of town for a few days but a quick test drive and I’m happier than a hog in mud, I’ll get it cleaned up and painted when I get back but I liked them so much I figured I’d throw them out there for others to see if they were considering retractable harnesses or didn’t know they existed. They take a second or two longer than a standard seatbelt to get into but they allow free movement forward to reach things while keeping you in place with the manual lap belt.

View attachment 92074
I dig it!! I’ve been reluctant on the harness setup due to restricted movement. But this I like!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dig it!! I’ve been reluctant on the harness setup due to restricted movement. But this I like!

Same here, I don’t like the full race type harness. The retractable are better than the standard belt, it has an independent lap belt, and two shoulder belts.

The shoulder belts don’t ride on your shoulders like a static shoulder belt does so there’s no need for a bulky pad and they let you reach the drive/transmission selectors and switches if you have them.