Rocker hitting cam Ring

beemer837

beemer837

Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2021
Leeds, UT
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
I have suspected that I have had something going on and wanted to check my compression and finally did this weekend.
The front cylinder only had 65 psi so I started into seeing what was wrong with it, this is what I found.
The front exhaust rocker is hitting a ring that is on the cam shaft and holding the valve open a fraction.
I do not know what this ring is for I thought maybe a balance thing? The back has the same ring but it doesn't
come close to the rocker. Has anybody seen this before. Thanks for looking
Resized tempFileForShare 20240406 220530 90476654868036 1712462732797 1712504368803

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have suspected that I have had something going on and wanted to check my compression and finally did this weekend.
The front cylinder only had 65 psi so I started into seeing what was wrong with it, this is what I found.
The front exhaust rocker is hitting a ring that is on the cam shaft and holding the valve open a fraction.
I do not know what this ring is for I thought maybe a balance thing? The back has the same ring but it doesn't
come close to the rocker. Has anybody seen this before. Thanks for looking
View attachment 424570
At the risk of a dumb question because I see this is posted in the Talon section….are we talking about a Talon?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
That's supposed to be there and do that, it's the compression release feature that helps the engine start easier. Once the engine starts that lobe retracts from the centrifugal force of the cam spinning.

Brian Crower makes aftermarket cams without the compression release if you want to eliminate it.

It's also possible yours is stuck...

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen him on here lately. I obviously missed something. What happened?
Its not worth it. If u like reading about someone as @Slow-Poke put it Butthurt and quitting 🤣
Then carry on….🥳

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well the ring was stuck. I held them back with magnets and got 175 -180 psi on both. So glad I didn't pullnthe head. Don't know how it jammed probably new cam time. Thanks everyone.

Stay away from the Daniel Crower and Hess cams, they are stock reground cams with the compression release mechanisms removed and the part that the cam sprocket bolts to will guaranteed move on the cam and throw it out of time.

BC for the win.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!