BOX1

Rodents chewing the wiring in your newer vehicles? Here's why...

P

PNWGuy

When I was an auto claims adjuster a few years ago, I started noticing a bunch of claims for damage to engine wiring by rodents. Oddly enough, most of the claims were newer Toyotas.

Dealers wouldn't warranty the damage, but it was covered under the owner's Comprehensive coverage, less the deductible. Repairs were from around $500 to $2000.

Stumbled across this news item.

Toyota wins dismissal of suit over rodent-damaged soy-based wiring

Apparently, in an effort to be more "environmentally friendly", Toyota and some other manufacturers switched to a soy-based wire coating, which of course, attracted rodents.

Class-action suit was filed but thrown out.

G

graybear

Nov 20, 2013
East Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most wiring has been using this for a while. Newer wiring has capasin integrated in the wiring to prevent this. Basically it is chili powder. If you face this you can buy sprays to coat your wire with hot pepper type of coating. In lew of this mix up a paste with chili powder and water water and smear it all over your wires. Tractors have been seeing lots of this problems since they sit for extended periods of time.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Most wiring has been using this for a while. Newer wiring has capasin integrated in the wiring to prevent this. Basically it is chili powder. If you face this you can buy sprays to coat your wire with hot pepper type of coating. In lew of this mix up a paste with chili powder and water water and smear it all over your wires. Tractors have been seeing lots of this problems since they sit for extended periods of time.
Yep, I’ve had repeated problems with both my tractors and RV, and one of my Pioneers..

Reactions: Mudwing and PNWGuy
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I was an auto claims adjuster a few years ago, I started noticing a bunch of claims for damage to engine wiring by rodents. Oddly enough, most of the claims were newer Toyotas.

Dealers wouldn't warranty the damage, but it was covered under the owner's Comprehensive coverage, less the deductible. Repairs were from around $500 to $2000.

Stumbled across this news item.

Toyota wins dismissal of suit over rodent-damaged soy-based wiring

Apparently, in an effort to be more "environmentally friendly", Toyota and some other manufacturers switched to a soy-based wire coating, which of course, attracted rodents.

Class-action suit was filed but thrown out.
That’s interesting. Learned something new today.

Reactions: Mudwing and PNWGuy
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!