P1000 Roofs

Bandman

Bandman

Jul 17, 2021
Hayden Lake, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m expecting to pick up a 1000-5 Forest in the next couple of months and I need a roof. I would like one that will take a beating but I need to fit the vehicle into a toy-hauler with 78 3/4” clearance (to the bunks). The specs for the 2022 have the height at 76.4” and I’ve heard the stock Honda plastic roof adds about 2-2.5 “ so I don’t think it will fit. How are the steel roofs like the Kolpin or the Tusk aluminum? This is my first side-by-side so advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: Lady01 and Buggyman
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’m expecting to pick up a 1000-5 Forest in the next couple of months and I need a roof. I would like one that will take a beating but I need to fit the vehicle into a toy-hauler with 78 3/4” clearance (to the bunks). The specs for the 2022 have the height at 76.4” and I’ve heard the stock Honda plastic roof adds about 2-2.5 “ so I don’t think it will fit. How are the steel roofs like the Kolpin or the Tusk aluminum? This is my first side-by-side so advice would be appreciated.
The Honda roof will take a liking and keep on ticking!
if your bunks fold down your good to go. fits like a glove in mine
EB873100 4CEE 4CA3 BF43 1119C3321F1F

Leonandlisa

Leonandlisa

Dec 14, 2016
Las Vegas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the tusk on mine and only sits 1/2”
Above the roll cage. I like it, and it has stood up well to abuse from trees and such.

Reactions: Bandman
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the tusk and like it. clearance was also an issue for me
it also gives you the opportunity use it to mount things by bolting through it. i mounted speakers and a 2 way radio to it. I have strapped some ladder stands on top of it, and have walked around on top of it.
so far no leaks (its 2 piece) but i did use some black silicone around the mounting bolts and on the seam between the 2 pieces.
it has a cutout in the drip edge at the B pillar. I used some gorilla sealing tape to close it up.

my only other complaint is the how the leading edge is cut in a radius so it doesnt overlap very well with the SATV windshield in the middle. If you use the SATV flip up windshield with it you will need to make a bracket for the windshield because the clamps for the roof and windshield are in the same spot
FUQQ7329
IMG 3903
IMG 3938

D

duratime

Jan 26, 2022
Monterey,CA
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
I have the Tusk roof and SuperATV windshield still in the box waiting for delivery of my P1K5 and I think that I have read elsewhere that you can either move the roof clamp or not use it to avoid the issue that you are referring to. I think that I have also read about the bracket you made. Me, being not much of a fabricator, was hoping that moving the clamp was an option, can I ask what your opinion is on that?

Reactions: Lady01
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The Honda roof will take a liking and keep on ticking!
if your bunks fold down your good to go. fits like a glove in mine
View attachment 328647
That was when I was stock cage hight. Did a chop top last year 4‐1/2" and NP with the bunks up or down now

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Tusk roof and SuperATV windshield still in the box waiting for delivery of my P1K5 and I think that I have read elsewhere that you can either move the roof clamp or not use it to avoid the issue that you are referring to. I think that I have also read about the bracket you made. Me, being not much of a fabricator, was hoping that moving the clamp was an option, can I ask what your opinion is on that?
i cant remember if it would be possible to fit both clamps but i dont think so. you could possibly drill another mount hole in the roof and move the roof clamp, but then you would need to seal the old hole somehow.
however the bracket is just a piece of angle iron with a couple holes in it, so not too much to fabricate
a hammer, a grinder, and a drill is all it takes to do it.
if you need some more specific instructions when you go to do it let me know and i can give you some more detail

Reactions: Bandman and toddvdh
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
they added the fold down feature the model year after mine…
How old is your TH?
Mine is a 16’ my one before that was a 12’ and it had that feature.
either way, depending on your TH, with the stock hight, I was able to get in there with the beds up and the honda roof. It lightly touched but not much. After a few trips that way i realized the pins on the bed towards the wall lol. I didnt know they folded down I thought they were fixed. When i got this TH I made sure I found those pins lol.

advertisement
Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I have a tusk roof and super atv windshield. No problem with the brackets both fitting. Only issue I ran into is the super atv brackets are much taller than the tusk brackets which means the bolts for the roof are too short.

67A00DEE 16F3 4F2A 9417 2AD8DD5F6E6F 35718587 6140 42F6 9FCE CD963BC135AF

Reactions: Lady01 and Bandman
Tie

Tie

Jun 5, 2022
Toronto
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: Lady01 and Bandman
R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I made mine with 3/16" aluminum Diamond plate. Then painted it with truck bed paint from HD. I made it extra wide & longer to accommodate the rear light & dump bed lights. Cost about $ 450 from my local Aluminum supply shop.
IMG 20220618 211949434 MP

D

duratime

Jan 26, 2022
Monterey,CA
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
I did a SuperATV flip up windshield this weekend with the Tusk roof. I noticed the same thing that Sdelam stated, however the screws were long enough. The only real issue I had with both products is that the flip up windshield had 16 extra washers and screws, which made me feel as if I was missing some instructions, I had to go back to my house (no wifi in the shop) and watch the install video again to realize I did everything correct. The Tusk roof on the other had was short 5 6mm nylock nuts.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!