P1000 Rookie question about dual battery and sound bar

T

Twade

Jun 20, 2024
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Hello, I just picked up a new to me ‘18 pioneer 1000. After reading up on some of these forums it’s got me worried that I might need a dual battery setup, but is it really necessary? Currently it has no aftermarket electrical mods and the only thing I plan on adding for now is a sound bar. Possibly a hifonics Thor 10 but that could change. I’ve also considered the exogear 26 because it has a separate rechargeable battery but it’s double the price.
Most people on here seem to recommend the dual battery but they are also running winches and light bars etc. Would I be okay with just a sound bar? Or not worth the risk? Thanks

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I would consider these a small radio in comparison to what's available.
I would not recommend a second battery...
BUT...
That depends on your use case I guess.
If you have plans for a lot of key-off radio, then yes, I might consider one.
Or if you find you use your winch often, then I might consider one.
But if you don't do these things, then I wouldn't.

Now, if you add a big light bar... that changes the game plan some.

Ok. good luck.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Agree w/ @Hondasxs: Any key-off use of accessories, heavy winching or big draw items like a big light bar, yes. Otherwise, you don't really NEED a second battery.

There are benefits to having a second/auxiliary battery and isolator, even if you don't necessarily NEED one. If something were to go bad and draw down your primary, you can always jump start from the aux battery (or even swap it out if need be). Some will say you can throw a portable jump pack in the buggy instead, so ... it's all really up to you.

Did you post any pics of your new-to-you buggy yet? If not, you might want to start a new thread and do that. Otherwise, the resident forum sheriff will be along soon to cite you for a violation of rule #4.