P1000m5 Ruined front tires after about 75 miles on pavement?

Redmist

Redmist

Jun 9, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When about 75 miles on Pavement this past weekend when in Southern Utah helping my son on his Archery elk hunt, ruined front tires. Left front is non usable. Any ideas on what may have caused this? These are the non-deluxe tires. Have been on pavement before with no problems, is this something to do with Alignment?
Now that I am forced to buy new tires before I wanted, I was hoping to go to a 28" X 10 tire with no lift. Is there a better tire that work both for pavement and off road.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Alignment is off. They've been going out the door with horrible alignments. There are two threads in here for easy do it yourself alignment it needs to be done. The rig will be much more pleasant to drive as well!

Reactions: sharp
Redmist

Redmist

Jun 9, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone tried the GBC Kanati Mongrel's, I was told by Rockymountain ATV they would be a good choice for off road and pavement. Just need to decide on matching stock sizes with my 12" wheels or 28 x 10 x 14 all around but would have to get new wheels.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When about 75 miles on Pavement this past weekend when in Southern Utah helping my son on his Archery elk hunt, ruined front tires. Left front is non usable. Any ideas on what may have caused this? These are the non-deluxe tires. Have been on pavement before with no problems, is this something to do with Alignment?
Now that I am forced to buy new tires before I wanted, I was hoping to go to a 28" X 10 tire with no lift. Is there a better tire that work both for pavement and off road.

Here's one....

P1000 - P1000 front alignment

SIGNATURE:

Quote by DrFubar: joeymt33, this could be your next signature: "I should be more understanding. I should know by now that a little hill to me probably is a big hill to you.;)"

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Joey you should've worked for the CIA. You find things really fast

Sent from iPhone

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Another one, would have been quicker if I didn't get a phone call.

Front- end alignment

P1000 - Front- end alignment

SIGNATURE:

Quote by DrFubar: joeymt33, this could be your next signature: "I should be more understanding. I should know by now that a little hill to me probably is a big hill to you.;)"

J

JTW

Has anyone tried the GBC Kanati Mongrel's, I was told by Rockymountain ATV they would be a good choice for off road and pavement. Just need to decide on matching stock sizes with my 12" wheels or 28 x 10 x 14 all around but would have to get new wheels.
My dad has them on a rhino.. I noticed the rear tires are substantially worn. We ride a lot of blacktop between farms. I highly suggest wheels and same size tires all around if you ride a lot of blacktop so that you can easily rotate. I'm honestly not sure that the GCB's hold up any better than the Bighorn originals for blacktop.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
Just go BFG AT or MT (truck tires) if you're not hitting much mud. Even truck MTs dont do great in slimy stuff.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone have the Tusk Terrabite tires? I've been eyeing these up a little bit. 8 ply radial available in a 12 inch.

Reactions: Eltobgi
advertisement
Redmist

Redmist

Jun 9, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have also been looking at the Tusk Terrabites, but will go with 28-10-14" so they will be all the same size. Think it would be good to rotate the tires.

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
After much research on upgrading to radial tires on my Can Am Commander, and because we can get full legal Arizona on road plates, run the highways, go to town etc. I went with Tensor Regulator tires, DOT approved 8 ply radial tires. Here in Arizona we have some nasty thorns & spines that can make small punctures, after several flat tires years ago people told me to use Green Slime, I have, and that has 'healed' those occasional punctures. But with the Tensor tires, designed as light truck tires for UTV's, they are so smooth & quiet running and tough I never have any concern with anything puncturing them, no need for Slime, run them dry, very tough, run straight & true at any speed. I've had my Commander up to 76 mph on the highway with the Tensor's and smooth as silk like a sports car, excellent at slow speeds also and plenty of grip. Imprinted on the sidewall they even list the correct PSI for different conditions... "Sand 8 PSI - Rock 10 PSI - Flats 15 PSI" For all around riding I keep mine at 12 PSI that is good for trails or pavement, but for a rocky trail I go down to 10 PSI. The two drawbacks IMO of being well worth it though, they are a bit heavy and the suspension not being quite as soft as with the stock 2.0 Bighorns that would puncture easy and wander above 30mph. Links, Tensor Tire... Tensor Tire | High Performance ATV & UTV Tires At Rocky Mountain ATV... Tensor Regulator Radial Tire | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
Note; Must put the same size tires front & rear, I have 28" all around, took some time getting used to not seeing the rear tires larger and front tires smaller, but they look good & tough. Chicane makes a great tire also, researched both, I couldn't be happier with my Tensor tires though :)
On my Honda P-500 I have 25" Duro Frontier 6 ply radials, good tires but must use the Green Slime as thorns will puncture them. Hope this info helps.
P.S... Notice the front & rear amber turn signals on the Commander? what a huge project but worth it, now courteous & safe on roads with traffic.

DSC00762 DSC00763 DSC00764 DSC00765 DSC00766 DSC00767

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
How well did they last?

Sent from iPhone

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I like those Tensors too, but the Terrabite look like a very similar tire for about $50 per tire less.

edit: after looking a little closer, maybe the Terrabite are a touch more aggressive.

Last edited:
J

JTW

After much research on upgrading to radial tires on my Can Am Commander, and because we can get full legal Arizona on road plates, run the highways, go to town etc. I went with Tensor Regulator tires, DOT approved 8 ply radial tires. Here in Arizona we have some nasty thorns & spines that can make small punctures, after several flat tires years ago people told me to use Green Slime, I have, and that has 'healed' those occasional punctures. But with the Tensor tires, designed as light truck tires for UTV's, they are so smooth & quiet running and tough I never have any concern with anything puncturing them, no need for Slime, run them dry, very tough, run straight & true at any speed. I've had my Commander up to 76 mph on the highway with the Tensor's and smooth as silk like a sports car, excellent at slow speeds also and plenty of grip. Imprinted on the sidewall they even list the correct PSI for different conditions... "Sand 8 PSI - Rock 10 PSI - Flats 15 PSI" For all around riding I keep mine at 12 PSI that is good for trails or pavement, but for a rocky trail I go down to 10 PSI. The two drawbacks IMO of being well worth it though, they are a bit heavy and the suspension not being quite as soft as with the stock 2.0 Bighorns that would puncture easy and wander above 30mph. Links, Tensor Tire... Tensor Tire | High Performance ATV & UTV Tires At Rocky Mountain ATV... Tensor Regulator Radial Tire | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
Note; Must put the same size tires front & rear, I have 28" all around, took some time getting used to not seeing the rear tires larger and front tires smaller, but they look good & tough. Chicane makes a great tire also, researched both, I couldn't be happier with my Tensor tires though :)
On my Honda P-500 I have 25" Duro Frontier 6 ply radials, good tires but must use the Green Slime as thorns will puncture them. Hope this info helps.
P.S... Notice the front & rear amber turn signals on the Commander? what a huge project but worth it, now courteous & safe on roads with traffic.

View attachment 22129 View attachment 22130 View attachment 22131 View attachment 22132 View attachment 22133 View attachment 22134
I like those a lot! How do they perform in mud or snow? :rolleyes:

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
I like those a lot! How do they perform in mud or snow? :rolleyes:
Here in southern Arizona we have no mud, and certainly no snow. I've read reviews of these tires with guys running in mud or snow and say they are very surprised how much traction they get, but not as well as a more aggressive tire designed for that type of riding.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
They are only 7 months old with about 600 miles on them, with about 200 miles on pavement. They still look new.

That's good! These get lots of great reviews. I know it's not the tire designed for mud but do they clean out ok?

Sent from iPhone

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
I like those Tensors too, but the Terrabite look like a very similar tire for about $50 per tire less.

edit: after looking a little closer, maybe the Terrabite are a touch more aggressive.
The Commander stock Bighorn 2.0's were more aggressive, but they were loud on pavement, the Tensor's are silent & smooth. I've crawled on rocks and gone up mountains with loose sand, dirt and rocks with these Tensor's expecting to loose some traction with a seeming 'all season' or 'all terrain' looking tire, but never once have they lost their grip, amazed at the traction, like expensive hiking boots they just lock on and grip on everything. Even in deep sand they grip well, and I think... "How are they doing this? my ATV with more aggressive radial tires spin some in sand but not these, how is this possible?" At Rocky Mountain ATV I had bought so many tires from them that I had some bonus credits, and got all 4 of my Tensors for $450 After 600 miles, 200 on pavement, they still look new, doubt I will ever wear them out, now that's a great value. I think Tensor uses some special rubber formula for grip because on my concrete driveway they squeak & chirp on the slightest turn, but not any of my other radial tires, now that's some serious gripping power. Google Tensor Regulator tire reviews, lot's of good info...

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
That's good! These get lots of great reviews. I know it's not the tire designed for mud but do they clean out ok?

Sent from iPhone
I sure wish I could answer that well for you, but mud in southern Arizona is very rare, and most times I've seen mud I steer around it. On accident a few times I've gone through some light mud and it gets flung off on the wheel wells for a mile or so, then tires clean. There is good space between the tire lugs, hard to imagine mud wouldn't clean out ok. I think I read some Tensor reviews with mud guys, and they were very positive, performed better than expected. At this point I feel like a Tensor Tire salesman. Those Terrabite tires that DRAGFOOT mentioned look good to.

advertisement