100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, currently it's 81* outside and 67* in the Hawk. I'm loving that for Sure!
Had to do a few more mods to it to get it level for proper drainage and more secure so someone can't just push it through. Dad and I installed a header above the curtain track and attached these red handled clamps to hold the top of the board in place. We also added two strips along the bottom so now the bottom is secure. I need to insulate the edges but for the most part, it's done. Still wishing the cord were longer...Something else I figured out is when I'm up in the cab-over bunk, I can use the back side of the roll over couch to direct the colder air upwards. Honda SXS, meet dad.
img_0753-jpg.32079
img_0754-jpg.32080
img_0756-jpg.32081
img_0759-jpg.32082
img_0760-jpg.32083
img_0762-jpg.32084
img_0770-jpg.32085
img_0771-jpg.32086
img_0765-jpg.32087

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
  1. SCORE! Today I went to NORTHERN TOOL and bought a Honda Companion 2000i. It was the display model and got an additional $100+ off. They had sold all their other ones. I got the gen, a quart of oil and a 30 amp adapter all for $1001 including tax out the door. I think they screwed up their math...The gen itself is priced at $1,100.00 WOO HOO!!!

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
  1. SCORE! Today I went to NORTHERN TOOL and bought a Honda Companion 2000i. It was the display model and got an additional $100+ off. They had sold all their other ones. I got the gen, a quart of oil and a 30 amp adapter all for $1001 with tax out the door. I think they screwed up their math...The gen itself is priced at $1,100.00 WOO HOO!!!
That's a good deal. Miles of smiles congrats on your last genny

VINEYARD1909

VINEYARD1909

Jun 20, 2017
Chatsworth Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess you could say I'm getting old and need my comforts of home. That being said I've gone from sleeping in the back of my truck under the topper to pulling my old trailer with the roof top tent to the FWC Hawk. For really warm nights in the RTT I actually had a 12volt fan running off the battery bank in the trailer's tongue box. For the past two years I've been wandering across America in the Hawk using the two Fantastic Fans to keep the air circulated and they've been great until you're in places like Phoenix Az at summer temps of 120* or today in Thompson Falls Montana where it reached 107*. Temperatures like these are where the fans make it feel like you're a Turkey in a convection oven. So even though I've not yet bought a generator to run one, my dad and I are fabricating a window unit perch to mount inside the Hawk in the hopes that some of the places I'll be staying will have hookups. I'll more than likely end up getting a generator but Do I need at least a 3000 watt to run a 5000 BTU AC ? I'm just not willing to spend $2000 on an Generator/AC system just yet. I am planning on mounting it in the emergency escape window. This will only be for when I am static in camp mode. I'm not gonna drive down the road with his sticking out of the window. Dad is an awesome Cabinet/furniture maker and is constructing it nice and so there are no bolt holes or any redneck mods. It will be very professionally done. This won't be permanent either, it'll be fully removable. The AC unit will be stored in the big tool box on the trailer when in transit. Later when I do get a gen set, I may store and run it in the trailer box with proper ventilation, then run a cord from the box to the Hawk. This way if I'm wheeling with a friend and need to leave my dog in the camper, the generator would stay running and secure in the box. My main question here is can I run a 5000 BTU AC on a Honda 2000 generator? Or, do I need to buy a larger more $$$ one?
Thanks
View attachment 48406 View attachment 48407 View attachment 48408 View attachment 48409
Well it has low voltage startup and when running it draws 4 amps and runs at 450watts so now you just need to know all your wattage for everything else you will be running then add 20% for start up voltage and that will tell you how big your generator needs to be.

Reactions: Remington
VINEYARD1909

VINEYARD1909

Jun 20, 2017
Chatsworth Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess you could say I'm getting old and need my comforts of home. That being said I've gone from sleeping in the back of my truck under the topper to pulling my old trailer with the roof top tent to the FWC Hawk. For really warm nights in the RTT I actually had a 12volt fan running off the battery bank in the trailer's tongue box. For the past two years I've been wandering across America in the Hawk using the two Fantastic Fans to keep the air circulated and they've been great until you're in places like Phoenix Az at summer temps of 120* or today in Thompson Falls Montana where it reached 107*. Temperatures like these are where the fans make it feel like you're a Turkey in a convection oven. So even though I've not yet bought a generator to run one, my dad and I are fabricating a window unit perch to mount inside the Hawk in the hopes that some of the places I'll be staying will have hookups. I'll more than likely end up getting a generator but Do I need at least a 3000 watt to run a 5000 BTU AC ? I'm just not willing to spend $2000 on an Generator/AC system just yet. I am planning on mounting it in the emergency escape window. This will only be for when I am static in camp mode. I'm not gonna drive down the road with his sticking out of the window. Dad is an awesome Cabinet/furniture maker and is constructing it nice and so there are no bolt holes or any redneck mods. It will be very professionally done. This won't be permanent either, it'll be fully removable. The AC unit will be stored in the big tool box on the trailer when in transit. Later when I do get a gen set, I may store and run it in the trailer box with proper ventilation, then run a cord from the box to the Hawk. This way if I'm wheeling with a friend and need to leave my dog in the camper, the generator would stay running and secure in the box. My main question here is can I run a 5000 BTU AC on a Honda 2000 generator? Or, do I need to buy a larger more $$$ one?
Thanks
View attachment 48406 View attachment 48407 View attachment 48408 View attachment 48409
If your running just your A/C unit there a 600 Watt generator will do after adding the 20% for startup.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well it has low voltage startup and when running it draws 4 amps and runs at 450watts so now you just need to know all your wattage for everything else you will be running then add 20% for start up voltage and that will tell you how big your generator needs to be.
I don't plan on running anything else on the genny. I got it specifically to run the AC. Or run other stuff when I get my homestead. Like power tools but never at the same time.

VINEYARD1909

VINEYARD1909

Jun 20, 2017
Chatsworth Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't plan on running anything else on the genny. I got it specifically to run the AC. Or run other stuff when I get my homestead. Like power tools but never at the same time.
Well a 1000 watt generator would almost run 2 units like you purchased to give you an idea. Let me rephrase that as long as you didn't start them both at the same time you could use a 1000 watt generator

VINEYARD1909

VINEYARD1909

Jun 20, 2017
Chatsworth Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone had much experience with the champion inverter gennys?
We have ran this one for over a year now at work just running power tools and crap. It hasn't gave any problems yet.
20170711 074541

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone had much experience with the champion inverter gennys?

I own a 3100watt Champion Inverter genny for running my 30' single A/C trailer. It definitely is not as quiet as a Honda. But at 1/2 the price, I cannot complain at all.

Reactions: JTW
adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
I have a honda 2000 that runs my 8000 btu wall shaker at my camp . It will run it in eco mode

Reactions: 100Acre
J

JTW

I own a 3100watt Champion Inverter genny for running my 30' single A/C trailer. It definitely is not as quiet as a Honda. But at 1/2 the price, I cannot complain at all.
I wondered what the noise level would be compared to the little Honda.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm a HVAC tech and ben certified Generac tech for 13 yrs I know ooooooo right? Lol. I would do the calculation like @VINEYARD1909 stated. Also to remember, it's very important to not only calculate the KW but to take in account of the high amp draw and voltage drop in the generator at start up. If at its borderline, it will work but will in time eventually kill the compressor in the ac and the voltage regulator and/or rotor and stator in the generator, I see it all the time with portables and standbys. We try it and it works and it will for a while just not for the longevity it should be. I to have 2 AC's with a Onan on my toyhauler like @Tigermark. There is a load shedding device in the transfer switch to shed 1 of those ac's for the KW for the generators capacity when needed. Just my .2c. Also, make sure when your running that window shaker that you keep that cushion away from the lower half of it, your amp draw will sky rocket and it won't cool as well

The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just picked up Honda 2000 non-companion generator the other day when the local farm store had 10 percent off. I had been milking a little Coleman 1750 generator for few years so the kids could watch movies at night while were off camping. I have never heard anyone regret buying the honda and like CP said, enjoy the last generator you need to buy. According to the manual it puts out a rated 13.3 amps so I wouldn't think the ac would pull near that. And the invert-er power should supply you clean power for what ever you want. If you got over $100 off you did great because that's the best you can do and believe me I've watched them for quite awhile.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This seeing this - I bout my Honda 2000 from a place called wise sales, they had the lowest price at the time but you had to call to get it. That generator is great - since it is really an inverter it puts out a clean wave that is much better to run electronics off of - Ham radio was a big reason I got mine. A couple mods you can do to it
1. Add an hour meter so that you can keep up with the hours for maintenance.
2 Buy a magnetic oil cap
3. Funnel to make oil changes better
HONDA GENERATOR GAS CAP & OIL CHANGE TUBE FUNNEL & MAGNETIC DIPSTICK EU2000i | eBay

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!