P1000 RV Ac possible with overland benefits

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Crazy idea for a simple RV ac unit retrofit for a P1000 3 seater. It would require a small inverter generator that can be mounted on a removable "Pack out" base. This is how I would do it.

1. AC unit Dometic Penguin II High Efficiency Low Profile Rooftop Air Conditioner,
2. Pack out removable base mount to mount/remove generator.
3. Westinghouse iGen2500 Portable Inverter Generator
4. Go to a local Marine cavass guy and have them make you Strataglass removable windows

I would probably mount the generator beyond the tailgate facing the rear with some type of offset bracket.

The additional benefit would be the ability to overland with ac by ducting the ac to your tent as needed. The generator is removable so you can relocate it as well.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yeah, no doubt. My old EU2000 won't run a full night at rated load. That and if the Westinghouse has oil alert like Honda, any sort of side hill or vertical hill would shut it off.
Being a Gen tech I see this all the time. People think cuz it says “Max” gen size thats what you Need. No you need bigger than that by alot. The start amps of a compressor will bogg that thing down like a mower in tall wet grass and fam near stall out. What they dont see is the voltage drop below the thresh hold that is doing slow dammage to both the gen and the ac compressor And Capacitor. Fun times!

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Excellent points on starting amps & oil alert. A 5000 BTU roof unit would be perfect or black box type unit. duct as needed. That generator runs for 10hrs on one gallon of gas.

I could probably come up with something that would work. Say a tailgate extender that would hold the generator, additional gas and a cooler. Design it so the generator blends in as part of design.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I have a Yamaha 2400 Gen, with a 1.5 gal tank. I can get ~8 hours if just charging the RV battery and keeping the fridge cold. If I run the 13k AC unit I only get about 4 hours on a tank of gas.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Isn’t there a Polaris that comes with AC? Does it keep you cool despite the flames?
Yes, not sure on the type it is? Can't be auto standard cuz it would need constant rpm therfore a TPS ( throttle position sensor) in order to achieve that and Poo Poo doesn't have that capability. I've heard it's not that great of a system. So your not going to be hanging meat in the cab anytime soon 🤣

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Under no load, basically at idle. Running that compressor maybe 5 if it don't stall it out
Ya our eu2000 will run 12 at little load, about 6 at full. They do make soft starts that can be wired into AC units fairly reasonable.
On just a dirt road I could see this working but not in the trails.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
They do make soft starts that can be wired into AC units
Soft starts work but our studies show that the low amp start that a soft creates is like starting an ac during a Brown out (low voltage) situation which that will slowly do damage to the compressor, especially 110 volt compressors.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Soft starts work but our studies show that the low amp start that a soft creates is like starting an ac during a Brown out (low voltage) situation which that will slowly do damage to the compressor, especially 110 volt compressors.
Not sure how other units work but I have the Micro air easy start, the biggest advantage is it creates a time delay between the fan and compressor start up. Fan kicks on first, few seconds later the compressor kicks on. Separates the start up in rush currents from the two components. Actual running current did not change just lowered the start up current. Could probably get similar results from turning the fan to "on" before turning on the AC.

Reactions: Remington
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That’s good to know

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Not sure how other units work but I have the Micro air easy start, the biggest advantage is it creates a time delay between the fan and compressor start up. Fan kicks on first, few seconds later the compressor kicks on. Separates the start up in rush currents from the two components. Actual running current did not change just lowered the start up current. Could probably get similar results from turning the fan to "on" before turning on the AC.
Should b the other way around, compressor then fan. The compressor is what draws the voltage drop. The fan does as well but not nearly as much. Having the fan first, then the compressor its basically likenot having the time delay at all.It does help but not that much. We have those type on acts all the time called a low ambient kit with a crankcase heater. But that's not for Gen purposes

Reactions: Rayger143
Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Just going by what's on the website. However it does it I have no complaints, been running it for a couple years now.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Just going by what's on the website. However it does it I have no complaints, been running it for a couple years now.
Right on. Hope it keeps going and dosnt give u any long term effects down the line. Thats what we see, not immediate effects its down the line long term. Only time weve seen immediate is in older on borrowed time AC’s

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Heres what happens when one or the other has has enough of the
”dirty power” lol we didnt instal it. The guy wasn't happy and this was a more sophisticated standby unit

85EA77F0 9E3A 4BA4 BE21 728E8DCE4BB8
37A725C2 37D9 46C2 97D6 AE08252FF978

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Looks expensive
Oh yeah! Not covered under warranty cuz we have to send the parts back and they know what happened when it looks like that 😂

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!