Talon rzr to talon R

robman

robman

Sep 5, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has anyone gone from a rzr xp1000 to a talon r? I would like to here some real-world testimony about the pros and cons of both. I currently have an xp1000 and thinking about getting a talon r.
How does the ride compare, turning radius and front diff?
Thanks

M

Morris1219

Aug 27, 2019
Dallas TX
Ownership

1. Talon R
Turning I would say is less than a RZR, ride is good but not as soft as a RZR. The front differential I think is a lot better. With a turbo the talon I think will be a monster with the DCT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robman

robman

Sep 5, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon R
Turning I would say is less than a RZR, ride is good but not as soft as a RZR. The front differential I think is a lot better. With a turbo the talon I think will be a monster with the DCT.

Thanks, do you think after market springs would make the ride softer? I’m not in to speed I like comfort I’m an old fart.

Reactions: Plumber32
M

Morris1219

Aug 27, 2019
Dallas TX
Ownership

1. Talon R
From what i have been reading, people who do shock therapy or FCR say its a totally different machine and love it.

That’s what I have heard as well just don’t want to spend the $1,800 + or - to have it done

robman

robman

Sep 5, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon R
I only put
That’s what I have heard as well just don’t want to spend the $1,800 + or - to have it done

I only put them on the front shocks of my rzr and it made a big difference.

RideRed85

RideRed85

Jan 23, 2019
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
If you just did springs alone on the R from Shock Therapy, it would soften the ride and make it enjoyable. I haven't had enough birthdays to be an old fart, but my mindset is like one. The ST springs come with a warranty / guarantee that they won't sag over time, and their spring packages can be purchased for a lot less than $1,800 + or -. I don't think the valving is necessary for most riders.

I guess it's how you look at it. The Talon is set up stiff and heavy. I doubt the stock springs will ever sag on either the 19 X or R. The springs on the RZR I had sagged by 500 miles on the machine. You'll see lots of posts on RZR forums and RZR Facebook pages about how they want to get their original ride height and ride quality back. So it's either too stiff or too soft / cheap - either way, you'll have to tune the suspension to your liking at some point IMO.

robman

robman

Sep 5, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you just did springs alone on the R from Shock Therapy, it would soften the ride and make it enjoyable. I haven't had enough birthdays to be an old fart, but my mindset is like one. The ST springs come with a warranty / guarantee that they won't sag over time, and their spring packages can be purchased for a lot less than $1,800 + or -. I don't think the valving is necessary for most riders.

I guess it's how you look at it. The Talon is set up stiff and heavy. I doubt the stock springs will ever sag on either the 19 X or R. The springs on the RZR I had sagged by 500 miles on the machine. You'll see lots of posts on RZR forums and RZR Facebook pages about how they want to get their original ride height and ride quality back. So it's either too stiff or too soft / cheap - either way, you'll have to tune the suspension to your liking at some point IMO.
Thanks ridered85. I have shock therapy springs on front of my rzr and really like them.

Reactions: RideRed85
robman

robman

Sep 5, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon R
Those are what I put on my rzr and made a big difference. I’ll be using them on the talon.
Thanks

advertisement
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the ST springs on my RZR. When I call ST they were only interested in selling me the entire package shock springs and revalving, did not act like I could even buy just part of their package like I did on the RZR.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone gone from a rzr xp1000 to a talon r? I would like to here some real-world testimony about the pros and cons of both. I currently have an xp1000 and thinking about getting a talon r.
How does the ride compare, turning radius and front diff?
Thanks
I just got a report about this from my brother in Canada- We just built a new SxS track at our park (Free Flow MX Park) A friend of his brought his new Talon last wknd. He said the Talon out ran everything there hands down. But, it over-heated like all the other machines with front mounted radiators... Here's a link a friend posted to youtube- they rolled the Talon twice- no damage at all- none. In the video you see the Talon go over- that's my brother driving....:rolleyes: The owner rolled it completely over, and almost back onto it's wheels.. Here's the link:

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I just got a report about this from my brother in Canada- We just built a new SxS track at our park (Free Flow MX Park) A friend of his brought his new Talon last wknd. He said the Talon out ran everything there hands down. But, it over-heated like all the other machines with front mounted radiators... Here's a link a friend posted to youtube- they rolled the Talon twice- no damage at all- none. In the video you see the Talon go over- that's my brother driving....:rolleyes: The owner rolled it completely over, and almost back onto it's wheels.. Here's the link:
I have to add that my brother was very impressed with the Talon, but a few things kept him from getting one- he ordered a new YXZ today. 1st is the front mounted radiator- he's only going to be racing, and every machine had their radiators plugged with dirt, and overheated. 2nd is the unitized engine/trans set-up. The YXZ has a separate transmission that will be much easier to do gear ratio changes and possible repairs/clutch replacements, and/or engine replacements and mods. 3rd, the YXZ has a rear mounted radiator. 4th, the YXZ doesn't use the brake-grabby thing pretending to be a locking differential:p The two machines are almost identically priced.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Here's a couple of pictures of interest- We had to send one of the guys to the Honda warehouse in Norfolk VA to pick up a couple new outboard engines. He said the warehouse was so big, you couldn't see the other end, and that it was packed with SxS's. They were pulling them off the piles, and assembling them while he was there. Check out the pics
IMG 3397
IMG 3396

M

mikegriffin84

Jun 23, 2019
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I only put

I only put them on the front shocks of my rzr and it made a big difference.
The Talon's front springs don't seem to be the main cause of comfort complaints. The rear is the main culprit here, keep that in mind if you want to just change the front or back.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!