• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Talon rzr to talon R

Discussion in 'General Talon 1000 Discussion' started by robman, Sep 5, 2019.

1. robman

robman New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Has anyone gone from a rzr xp1000 to a talon r? I would like to here some real-world testimony about the pros and cons of both. I currently have an xp1000 and thinking about getting a talon r.
    How does the ride compare, turning radius and front diff?
    Thanks

JWB, Plumber32 and TripleB like this.
  2. Morris1219

Morris1219 New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Turning I would say is less than a RZR, ride is good but not as soft as a RZR. The front differential I think is a lot better. With a turbo the talon I think will be a monster with the DCT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plumber32 and CumminsPusher like this.
  3. robman

robman New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Thanks, do you think after market springs would make the ride softer? I’m not in to speed I like comfort I’m an old fart.

Plumber32 likes this.
  4. devildog1000R

devildog1000R New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    From what i have been reading, people who do shock therapy or FCR say its a totally different machine and love it.

Morris1219 and CumminsPusher like this.
  5. Morris1219

Morris1219 New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    That’s what I have heard as well just don’t want to spend the $1,800 + or - to have it done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. robman

robman New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    I only put
    I only put them on the front shocks of my rzr and it made a big difference.

7. RideRed85

RideRed85 Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    If you just did springs alone on the R from Shock Therapy, it would soften the ride and make it enjoyable. I haven't had enough birthdays to be an old fart, but my mindset is like one. The ST springs come with a warranty / guarantee that they won't sag over time, and their spring packages can be purchased for a lot less than $1,800 + or -. I don't think the valving is necessary for most riders.

I guess it's how you look at it. The Talon is set up stiff and heavy. I doubt the stock springs will ever sag on either the 19 X or R. The springs on the RZR I had sagged by 500 miles on the machine. You'll see lots of posts on RZR forums and RZR Facebook pages about how they want to get their original ride height and ride quality back. So it's either too stiff or too soft / cheap - either way, you'll have to tune the suspension to your liking at some point IMO.

8. robman

robman New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Thanks ridered85. I have shock therapy springs on front of my rzr and really like them.

RideRed85 likes this.
  9. dd963

dd963 New Member

Ownership:
    Talon X
    i am an old fart and put shock therapy spring kit on my x and huge huge difference my friend said it rides like a Cadillac compared to how it used to ride.i think my kit was only $600 with shipping.

10. robman

robman New Member

Ownership:
    Talon R
    Those are what I put on my rzr and made a big difference. I’ll be using them on the talon.
    Thanks

11. DAJO

DAJO Member

Ownership:
    Other Brand, Talon R
    I have the ST springs on my RZR. When I call ST they were only interested in selling me the entire package shock springs and revalving, did not act like I could even buy just part of their package like I did on the RZR.

12. JWB

JWB Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    I just got a report about this from my brother in Canada- We just built a new SxS track at our park (Free Flow MX Park) A friend of his brought his new Talon last wknd. He said the Talon out ran everything there hands down. But, it over-heated like all the other machines with front mounted radiators... Here's a link a friend posted to youtube- they rolled the Talon twice- no damage at all- none. In the video you see the Talon go over- that's my brother driving....:rolleyes: The owner rolled it completely over, and almost back onto it's wheels.. Here's the link:

CumminsPusher and GPR1500SC like this.
  13. JWB

JWB Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    I have to add that my brother was very impressed with the Talon, but a few things kept him from getting one- he ordered a new YXZ today. 1st is the front mounted radiator- he's only going to be racing, and every machine had their radiators plugged with dirt, and overheated. 2nd is the unitized engine/trans set-up. The YXZ has a separate transmission that will be much easier to do gear ratio changes and possible repairs/clutch replacements, and/or engine replacements and mods. 3rd, the YXZ has a rear mounted radiator. 4th, the YXZ doesn't use the brake-grabby thing pretending to be a locking differential:p The two machines are almost identically priced.

14. JWB

JWB Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    Here's a couple of pictures of interest- We had to send one of the guys to the Honda warehouse in Norfolk VA to pick up a couple new outboard engines. He said the warehouse was so big, you couldn't see the other end, and that it was packed with SxS's. They were pulling them off the piles, and assembling them while he was there. Check out the pics
    IMG_3397.jpg IMG_3396.jpg

TripleB, Landman, Neohio and 2 others like this.
  15. Hondasxs

Hondasxs Club Founder
    Staff Member Vendor Lifetime Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    That MATTE GREEN METALLIC Looks sweet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TripleB, Landman, Neohio and 3 others like this.
  16. CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher The woods made me do it,yet again!
    Lifetime Member Supporting Member Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5, Other Brand
    TripleB and Mudwing like this.
  17. mikegriffin84

mikegriffin84 New Member

Ownership:
    Do not currently own
    The Talon's front springs don't seem to be the main cause of comfort complaints. The rear is the main culprit here, keep that in mind if you want to just change the front or back.