P500 Same size tires all-around?

S

Sledge

Seems like a good idea, for ease of rotation and universal spare.

But the rear wheels are wider than front, so that seems to screw up both, at least with stock wheels.

I intend to buy new tires, but not new wheels. I like steel wheels.

I'm missing something, I suspect. What am I missing?

Joe

Reactions: 100Acre
Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I am running Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 26-11-12 on stock rims all the way around with no issues. I went with the same width for exactly the same reason you mention above. A lot of people have gone 9" wide but I really like the 11" width for the type of riding I do here in Alaska; the trails can vary greatly within a few miles from steep rocky or brush covered hills, sandy/ silty river bottoms, tundra, and deep sticky mud so I needed a tire that could handle it all. The Bighorns do this they may not be the best at everything but they seem to be a very good all around tire. The extra width really helps with floatation on tundra and mud.

Being able to carry one spare that fits anywhere is huge since I am often a long way from my truck or camp. I was also able to pick up a stock rim cheap for my spare. I use the front rim for the spare since that was the narrower rim and it seems to fir ok on the rear.......luckily I have never had to use it for real in the field the only time I had an issue the green goo took care of it long enough to get back to the truck where I put in a plug and kept hunting.
Hope this helps.

The Alaskan Fish Bum

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I really like the idea of the same size, front and rear. Unfortunately, if using the stock wheels you won't be able to rotate.

You could buy ITP Delta steel rims (since you don't want aluminum) with the same offset front and rear, and then you would be able to rotate them since they would have the same width and offset. If you went this route, you would end up wider though. That is an issue if you ride restricted trails, or intend to haul in a pickup. For me, the extra inch of width would be an advantage. But I can't justify spending the extra cash on new rims at this time. You can run the same size radials, and they will have the same height even with different width rims front and back. @JACKAL has posted about this. He is running the same width all around and measured the height, and the front and rear match.

S

Sledge

Thank you both. Exactly the kind of on-point information I need.

Staying real close to 50" is important, as I'll ride on 50" trails hunting elk and bear in Colorado.

I'm leaning toward Bighorns in 25x10s all-around, but may need to stick with 8s up front. I wonder how wide the 10s would make the front end.

Height is an issue too, because the door into my cargo trailer is only 74" tall, hence the 25s. If there's room, I may go with 26x9s all around. I know you favor those, ehart.

The terrain I'm riding now is easy, so the stock tires are fine, but I want to have new ones for hunting season.

Btw, Akfishbum, I've read your moose hunt thread twice now, and will soon read it again. Great stuff!

If anyone reading this has a stock front wheel available for sale, please let me know.

Joe

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I really like the idea of the same size, front and rear. Unfortunately, if using the stock wheels you won't be able to rotate.

You could buy ITP Delta steel rims (since you don't want aluminum) with the same offset front and rear, and then you would be able to rotate them since they would have the same width and offset. If you went this route, you would end up wider though. That is an issue if you ride restricted trails, or intend to haul in a pickup. For me, the extra inch of width would be an advantage. But I can't justify spending the extra cash on new rims at this time. You can run the same size radials, and they will have the same height even with different width rims front and back. @JACKAL has posted about this. He is running the same width all around and measured the height, and the front and rear match.

But the rear wheels are wider than front, so that seems to screw up both, at least with stock wheels.

Joe

50 " trail gates I use are not exactly
50"....I'm 53" in the back...it's tight
but I make it....
being a little over....not a big deal
where I go...& we ride alot of places

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thank you both. Exactly the kind of on-point information I need.

Staying real close to 50" is important, as I'll ride on 50" trails hunting elk and bear in Colorado.

I'm leaning toward Bighorns in 25x10s all-around, but may need to stick with 8s up front. I wonder how wide the 10s would make the front end.

Height is an issue too, because the door into my cargo trailer is only 74" tall, hence the 25s. If there's room, I may go with 26x9s all around. I know you favor those, ehart.

The terrain I'm riding now is easy, so the stock tires are fine, but I want to have new ones for hunting season.

Btw, Akfishbum, I've read your moose hunt thread twice now, and will soon read it again. Great stuff!

If anyone reading this has a stock front wheel available for sale, please let me know.

Joe

I only favor the 26x9's because of what I've learned here. @Montecresto runs them on stock wheels and is very happy with that setup, and I'm pretty sure he rides width restricted trails.

Tmiller

Tmiller

Apr 5, 2016
New york
28-9-14 all around on ft rims all the same I love it I think it's as skinny as stock

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Joe
I found that particularly on the P-5 with no power steering, narrower tires in the front improve steering.

Reactions: 100Acre and Tmiller
Nathan_HogsFan

Nathan_HogsFan

Dec 21, 2015
NE Arkansas
I ordered some GBC Grim Reaper tires today got the same size all the way around to stay under 50 in. The only size in 26s that fit my rim was 26x10. I hope the that setup works well! I read about the tires and they have great reviews 8 ply radials for $108 a piece isn't to bad I think!

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I ordered some GBC Grim Reaper tires today got the same size all the way around to stay under 50 in. The only size in 26s that fit my rim was 26x10. I hope the that setup works well! I read about the tires and they have great reviews 8 ply radials for $108 a piece isn't to bad I think!

Good Price....
let me know...how
they do

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I am running Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 26-11-12 on stock rims all the way around with no issues. I went with the same width for exactly the same reason you mention above. A lot of people have gone 9" wide but I really like the 11" width for the type of riding I do here in Alaska; the trails can vary greatly within a few miles from steep rocky or brush covered hills, sandy/ silty river bottoms, tundra, and deep sticky mud so I needed a tire that could handle it all. The Bighorns do this they may not be the best at everything but they seem to be a very good all around tire. The extra width really helps with floatation on tundra and mud.

Being able to carry one spare that fits anywhere is huge since I am often a long way from my truck or camp. I was also able to pick up a stock rim cheap for my spare. I use the front rim for the spare since that was the narrower rim and it seems to fir ok on the rear.......luckily I have never had to use it for real in the field the only time I had an issue the green goo took care of it long enough to get back to the truck where I put in a plug and kept hunting.
Hope this helps.

The Alaskan Fish Bum
Exactly what I was thinking. I understand the rotation element but a spare is just a spare. Only needs to get me back to the trail head. Height should be the same but width? Hey Fish Bum, where'd you find a front factory wheel?

Reactions: Montecresto
Nathan_HogsFan

Nathan_HogsFan

Dec 21, 2015
NE Arkansas
Emergency question the place I got my tires from sent the wrong dang size and may not be able to fix them before I go on a riding trip outside of town. How much wider will 12 in wide tires all the way around make me and how hard will it be to turn 12 in tires in the front.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Shouldn't be too bad on the steering. I'm running 27"x11" front tires, and haven't had any problems. Not sure what diameter you're running, but if mine were any wider, I might have rubbing issues on the frame. I'm a little less than 53" on the front width, with 5+2 offset wheels. Are you running stock wheels?

Nathan_HogsFan

Nathan_HogsFan

Dec 21, 2015
NE Arkansas
Shouldn't be too bad on the steering. I'm running 27"x11" wide front tires, and haven't had any problems. Not sure what diameter you're running, but if mine were any wider, I might have rubbing issues on the frame. I'm a little less than 53" on the front width, with 5+2 offset wheels. Are you running stock wheels?
These they sent are 26x12 r12 yes on stock wheels.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Just check to make sure you aren't rubbing the frame extension when you turn from lock to lock. If you do, you'll have to do a frame mod, or add spacers to keep the tires from rubbing. The 5+2 offset wheels do give a little extra spacing on the front, just enough that I didn't need to run wheel spacers. Not sure about factory wheels.

Reactions: KDN
Nathan_HogsFan

Nathan_HogsFan

Dec 21, 2015
NE Arkansas
Just check to make sure you are rubbing the frame extension when you turn from lock to lock. If you do, you'll have to do a frame mod, or add spacers to keep the tires from rubbing. The 5+2 offset wheels do give a little extra spacing on the front, just enough that I didn't need to run wheel spacers. Not sure about factory wheels.
Alright thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Alright thanks for the info I appreciate it.
I think you'll be ok, but yes, the wider the front tires, the diminishing ease of steering due to increased friction.

Reactions: 100Acre

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!