Same size wheels and tires all around my Talon R

NoRest

NoRest

Jul 23, 2019
The Beef State
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I'm wanting to put four matching size wheels and tires on my 2021 Talon R. So I can carry one spare for any position on my machine. And also to be able to rotate the tires to get better life from them. I'm wanting to run 30x10x15 tires. I've read all these threads and I'm still confused. What offset and size do I need for the wheels? I'm hoping someone can help me out here so I can get these ordered and installed. Thanks in advance.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Most of the threads are opinions, here are the facts...
  1. DO NOT rely on the X+Y advertised measurement, they are completely inaccurate and meaningless. You can use them to "shop" but always verify the actual offset in millimeters.
  2. To match the front scrub radius as close as possible, you need +50mm offset wheels (AKA 6+1). +45mm offsets (AKA 5.5+1.5) are also acceptable. You can go less offset but I would not go less than +30mm (AKA 5+2). The less offset you use, the more you will find yourself "fighting" the steering.
  3. Use 1.5" spacers on the rear to even everything up.
There is a much bigger variety in the 5+2 market but be VERY careful. A true 5+2 is around +30mm offset but I have seen many +10mm offset wheels marketed as 5+2 and they are really 4+3 so be careful. Less than +30mm offset is not recommended for several reasons.

NoRest

NoRest

Jul 23, 2019
The Beef State
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Most of the threads are opinions, here are the facts...
  1. DO NOT rely on the X+Y advertised measurement, they are completely inaccurate and meaningless. You can use them to "shop" but always verify the actual offset in millimeters.
  2. To match the front scrub radius as close as possible, you need +50mm offset wheels (AKA 6+1). +45mm offsets (AKA 5.5+1.5) are also acceptable. You can go less offset but I would not go less than +30mm (AKA 5+2). The less offset you use, the more you will find yourself "fighting" the steering.
  3. Use 1.5" spacers on the rear to even everything up.
There is a much bigger variety in the 5+2 market but be VERY careful. A true 5+2 is around +30mm offset but I have seen many +10mm offset wheels marketed as 5+2 and they are really 4+3 so be careful. Less than +30mm offset is not recommended for several reasons.
Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Reactions: ChadD
NoRest

NoRest

Jul 23, 2019
The Beef State
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I'll start looking for some 50mm offset beadlocks today. Now I have to decide what tires to get!

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
so what part of "Beef State" are you located?

W

Wilson1

Mar 25, 2020
Salt Lake City Ut
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have been running 5=2 both front and rear with no spacers for over a year and I haven't noticed any extra steering force. I love this set up. It is nice to have one size tire so you can carry a spare. I think the 5+2 size is just fine.

Reactions: ChadD and NoRest
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have been running 5=2 both front and rear with no spacers for over a year and I haven't noticed any extra steering force. I love this set up. It is nice to have one size tire so you can carry a spare. I think the 5+2 size is just fine.
"5+2" tells the OP absolutely nothing, I wish the industry would stop using that garbage. There are 5+2 wheels with a +38mm offset and others with a +10mm offset and just about everything in between. There is a 28mm difference from one 5+2 wheel to another and that is over an inch in offset and that makes a huge difference.

Either clarify your "5+2" statement with the true offset or supply the brand/model so the OP can look the true offset up.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
"5+2" tells the OP absolutely nothing, I wish the industry would stop using that garbage. There are 5+2 wheels with a +38mm offset and others with a +10mm offset and just about everything in between. There is a 28mm difference from one 5+2 wheel to another and that is over an inch in offset and that makes a huge difference.

Either clarify your "5+2" statement with the true offset or supply the brand/model so the OP can look the true offset up.
Totally agree with Paul here. My "5+2" is a System 3 that has a +38mm. The +38mm is why I went with these wheels I didn't want to to have more offset than that....I have an X and wanted a little wider stance without messing with the steering. I also have System 3 wheels for my YXZ and they are called a "5+2" and the offset is a +10. That is a pretty big difference with wheels....

all4sho

all4sho

Apr 11, 2019
Byron, Ga
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am running fuel offroad 15x7 38 offset with 32x9.50r15 on mine all the way around with 1.5"spacers, little on the heavy side, but no problems at all

Reactions: ChadD and NoRest
R

Rhymer362

May 17, 2021
Southern Illinois
Ownership

1. Talon R
Any other option besides using spacers ? And still use the same wheel all around. The fuel hardline in candy red would look good on the 2021 r I have on order...the fuels come in a 15x7 +38mm or a 15x10 +25mm. I'm pretty confused about this and would like to run same wheel all around without spacers .

Reactions: Smitty335
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Any other option besides using spacers ? And still use the same wheel all around. The fuel hardline in candy red would look good on the 2021 r I have on order...the fuels come in a 15x7 +38mm or a 15x10 +25mm. I'm pretty confused about this and would like to run same wheel all around without spacers .
Not sure why you are confused, it is VERY simple. The Hub to Hub width on the Talon is about 3" narrower in the rear so if you run the same wheels front and rear, you will be 3" narrower in the rear. It is that simple. You can run your machine that way if you want or you can run 1.5" spacers in the rear to even it up. Either way will work, spacers in the rear will look better.

There is nothing wrong with running 1.5" spacers as long as run the 15X7 +38 wheels.

I would not recommend the 15X10 wheels except with 13"+ wide paddles or you will destroy them in 1 ride in any type of rocky terrain.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I agree, I have 1.5 on the rear of ours and works great!
Of course you would say that, you sell spacers, very expensive spacers. There’s a reason auto manufacturers make the front wider than the rear. It make the vehicle steer and handle better. The only exception is in the dunes, some like the front the same, or narrower than the rear. This way it will layover on the outside front tire when turning so it cuts and turn. Plus with wide paddle tires it’s hard to get the front as wide without a really wide spacer. With the addition of any spacer, it doesn’t do any good for the suspension. It adds a lot of unsprung weight. THATS BAD!

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Of course you would say that, you sell spacers, very expensive spacers. There’s a reason auto manufacturers make the front wider than the rear. It make the vehicle steer and handle better. The only exception is in the dunes, some like the front the same, or narrower than the rear. This way it will layover on the outside front tire when turning so it cuts and turn. Plus with wide paddle tires it’s hard to get the front as wide without a really wide spacer. With the addition of any spacer, it doesn’t do any good for the suspension. It adds a lot of unsprung weight. THATS BAD!
The way i have mine it's the same width as stock. running 4 factory front wheels, with the spacers made it so my track width is the same as factory offset rear wheels. no wider, no more stress on the suspension. a lot of weight? really? might get a pair in hand before making that type of comment.

Reactions: RB3offroad and CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!