Satellite Phones

idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Wondering if anyone has experience with a sat phone or this new Iridium Go thing. Been looking into them and lots of choices out there.

Thanks
idcwby

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have used Sat phones in the past i use a Spot now and it works well with the smart phones, and doubles as tracking device. I like the spot for hunting and fishing remote locations. you can even put it is you kids car and track them in real time from your home computer.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
She won't have a phone!! that way boys can't call. plus the basement has crappy reception anyways and that is where she has to stay till she is 30 anyways! lol

idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
From my researching, it looks like an Iridium phone will be the best thing for me. They seem to have service everywhere and good quality phones.

idcwby

J

JTW

From my researching, it looks like an Iridium phone will be the best thing for me. They seem to have service everywhere and good quality phones.

idcwby
I don't know much about sat phones... but I just have to wonder how well they work for ALL situations. I know driving into Moab our sat radio would go out. I'm curious if the same problem wouldn't happen with the phone.

Reactions: sharp
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
I recommend buying the most expensive one you can handle. Cheap sat phones are garbage and unreliable. I have the most experience using Iridiums. They work well enough, But you have to be standing in one spot typically to get any quality. I recently picked up a Garmin inReach. It's a solid handheld GPS with the added ability to send text messages and SOS. Can also be paired with your phone via Bluetooth making texting a lot easier.

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have an Iridium that I use up in Alaska every year. Works great. Theres a lot of different plans to choose from that you should be able to find one that suits your needs. Everything from monthly plans to plans that have a certain number of minutes. Read them carefully to make sure you get one that fits your situation.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's the difference? Even the sat internet I had was finicky... I don't understand why it would be different?

Different sats with different purposes and capabilities posted in different locations. Also Sirus/XM radio is I think only ONE sat maybe two to cover only North America (doesn't work in Hawaii or Guam). Sat phones sats are many more in number to cover the whole globe.

idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
What's the difference? Even the sat internet I had was finicky... I don't understand why it would be different?

After researching them more, Iridium has a lot of satellites through out the sky, where Immastant has satellites that stay its above the equator, so you have to have a clear view of the horizon for them to work. From what I have been gathering There almost isn't a place on the globe you can't get a call out with an Iridium phone.

I used to have satellite radio too, but got tired of it cutting out in the canyons I drive when traveling so I got rid of it.

idcwby

idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Here's the update: I got a good deal on a used Iridium 9555 on eBay and than for service I went with an Emergency Plan which costs $25 a month and $5.99 a minute, with a $50 activation fee. As long as I don't talk over 50 minutes this is cheaper then going with the next plan that was $49.95 a month and $1.29 a minute with 10 minutes and still the activation fee.

I made 1 phone call to make sure everything works and it did! Call quality was great and didn't have any issues.

idcwby

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Great. They are a lifesaver when you need them. I use my Iridium every year at one of our camps north of the Arctic circle up in Alaska. It works flawlessly every year. It helped put a crazy native guy in jail that was floating down the river trying to shoot anyone he saw. Exciting day!

Last edited:
idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Great. They are a lifesaver when you need them. I use my Iridium every year at one of our camps north of the Arctic circle up in Alaska. It works flawlessly every year. It helped put a crazy native guy in jail that was floating down the river trying to shoot anyone he saw in jail. Exciting day!

I've heard some crazy stories, but that's one of the worst/wildest.

Hopefully I don't have to use it to much.

idcwby

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Any updates for this? Been looking into sat phones as of late but wanted some real world experience.
Has anyone tried satsleeve for iPhone? Reasonable phone and plan that works?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!