SATV Driveshaft Reviews

mmuchow

mmuchow

Feb 20, 2021
Pittsburgh
Ownership

1. Talon X
Gunna be installing the SATV driveshaft on my 2019 Talon X ~2,700 miles as the unjoint started to develop some play and I was wondering what the reviews / feedback is on the SATV driveshaft are so far?

IMG 2691 IMG 2690 71182780298  33A5E47C 3A4B 4D35 8695 EDD8CF41C6F6

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This has been a hot item...
I've heard good things about them. I also have one ready for my Talon but need to find time to install it.
Be sure to follow up with a difficulity level for installing and any tips or tricks.

I also have them in the club store available here - HONDA TALON 1000 HEAVY-DUTY PROP SHAFT - RHINO DRIVELINE
But message me for an even better deal.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I put one in this past winter, it's a night & day change for my buggy. I had a growl/vibration when in 4wd ever since new, thats now gone. Very happy with the new design.
20230115 132529
20230115 153855
Installation wasn't easy but I had time so I took more apart than was probably needed but it made access much easier. To boot the driveshaft was stuck on the subtrans pretty tight.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

This has been a hot item...
I've heard good things about them. I also have one ready for my Talon but need to find time to install it.
Be sure to follow up with a difficulity level for installing and any tips or tricks.

I also have them in the club store available here - HONDA TALON 1000 HEAVY-DUTY PROP SHAFT - RHINO DRIVELINE
But message me for an even better deal.

If ypu have a 2 post lift to use, it's an 1 hour job at most.

Remove middle skid plate(if stock) or remove skid plates that allow you to acces the front driveshaft loop and in front of the sub trans.

Remove the bumper/winch (if equipped with a winch)

Take all 2 forward front differential bolts out, loosen rear bolt but leave in, unclip the sensor wire on the drivers side

Remove the front driveshaft loop, I use a 12mm swivel socket (1/4" drive) and get it from underneath

We have a special set of inside opening pliers (Mac Tools) to get the clip open in the diff. Lube and brake clean help loosen it up.

Then use a pry bar to pry the driveshaft back while opening the clip

Remove the bolt from the differential and push it forward until the driveshaft comes out

Slide the driveshaft up into the cavity under the hood and drop it out the bottom (you may have to pry it off the sub trans, using the frame as a pushing point)

I can't find the plier part numbers, I'll look at them tomorrow at work

Last edited:
mmuchow

mmuchow

Feb 20, 2021
Pittsburgh
Ownership

1. Talon X
Got the SATV driveshaft installed, overall wasn’t terrible to put in. For the clip that holds the driveshaft to the front diff I used snap ring pliers and was able to get the clip into position to get the driveshaft out of the diff. What worked for me was pushing forward on the driveshaft slightly while opening the clip, then once the clip was open I pulled the driveshaft backwards and it came right out. Other than that everything went smooth.

Headed to WV this coming Thursday to test it out!

IMG 2841 IMG 2842

mmuchow

mmuchow

Feb 20, 2021
Pittsburgh
Ownership

1. Talon X
Last weekend I got to test out the SATV Driveshaft, put about 230 miles on it. We rode from Delbarton WV to Wilmore Dam along with some other outlaws and Hatfields throughout the weekend. There is a big difference compared to the oem driveshaft. The rattle / ujoint noise is gone which is especially noticeable on the road and higher speeds at lower rpm’s. Overall I’m happy to have upgraded, any issues I’ll report back.

IMG 8807 IMG 2856 IMG 2880

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
@SuperATV We need the 4 seater driveshaft!
I know!! I'll hassle my buddy about it tomorrow and get an update for you.

UPDATE: So, it hasn't made it into the design phase yet. Its been bumped a few times for other projects, but it will end up in one of my engineers hands soon enough. I don't have a date and it may be a few months, but they will happen.

Last edited:
AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I got the SATV shaft and finally got a new clip after destroying the original one getting it out. This should not be this difficult! I am guessing the clip has to be in the collar and spread to get the shaft in? I have access from the top, bottom, and side and cannot for the life of me get the damn clip open, hold it, and slide the shaft in. Any secrets?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I got the SATV shaft and finally got a new clip after destroying the original one getting it out. This should not be this difficult! I am guessing the clip has to be in the collar and spread to get the shaft in? I have access from the top, bottom, and side and cannot for the life of me get the damn clip open, hold it, and slide the shaft in. Any secrets?
Yep. PITA...
I took a cheap pair of needle nose and grinded some groves in them to better grip the ring. Worked and I got mine out. Getting it back in was just as hard.

AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
Yep. PITA...
I took a cheap pair of needle nose and grinded some groves in them to better grip the ring. Worked and I got mine out. Getting it back in was just as hard.
Yeah, I have the "special" pliers. They don't seem to work very well.

Dug2024

Dug2024

"Super Chicken"
Lifetime Member
May 22, 2019
West Georgia
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I'm guessing by now you have it all back together. But the easiest way is to slide the clip on the driveshaft splines but not in the groove.. slide the shaft into the front diff until the clip lines up with the slot in the diff.. spread the clip into the slot on the diff.. (make sure the groove is super clean) then slide the shaft until the groves align and let go of the clip.. give it a tug to make sure its locked in...

Reactions: AMink
AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
UPDATE!
I FINALLY got it all together and have had time to ride it. It does seem quieter but I'm still getting a zzzzz that sounds like it's coming from somewhere up front but maybe not. It may even be a normal sound. It's there in 2 and 4 and seems to be on and off throttle. For now I'm going with "it's normal" until something breaks. Or doesn't. I do like the idea of the CV over the u-joints. The shaft itself is burly and the CVs are solid. Maybe it's my axles...hmmmm...

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
UPDATE!
I FINALLY got it all together and have had time to ride it. It does seem quieter but I'm still getting a zzzzz that sounds like it's coming from somewhere up front but maybe not. It may even be a normal sound. It's there in 2 and 4 and seems to be on and off throttle. For now I'm going with "it's normal" until something breaks. Or doesn't. I do like the idea of the CV over the u-joints. The shaft itself is burly and the CVs are solid. Maybe it's my axles...hmmmm...
It eliminate most of my zzzzz up front.
I still have some also.
Has to be in the differential.
Idk.. I give it a 70% improvement score.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!