BOX1

P1000m5 Sealing doors/cabin, insulating hollow doors.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is my first post after enjoying reading through a lot of interesting posts and gathering information about my new 1000–5. I enjoy the unit but don’t like the fact that there are so many gaps for dust and later cold weather to get in. I am planning on sealing up the unit so that I can put my soft cab on. I have purchased enough weatherstripping, rubber sheeting, neoprene foam, and adhesive to seal a school bus. One thing I am tempted to do is to spray foam the hollow doors. I can’t stand the feel of the hollow plastic doors. They seem cheap and toylike. I am thinking about taking them off, drilling some holes in the top and bottom and filling it with great stuff expanding foam. I plan on removing them, removing the latches, and lightly clamping them horizontally with plywood. I also plan leaving the holes open so that expanded foam would be able to be released. I would then fill the holes with plastic pegs. I don’t think it would add much weight but would solidify the doors and make them warmer in the winter. Obviously my biggest fear is causing them to expand but I do have quite a bit of experience with the stuff and think it should work just fine. I will start with one door in the back so if it doesn’t work out it will be about a $50 mistake. Anyone have any ideas or experience with something similar or is my idea crazy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and Ragnar406
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is my first post after enjoying reading through a lot of interesting posts and gathering information about my new 1000–5. I enjoy the unit but don’t like the fact that there are so many gaps for dust and later cold weather to get in. I am planning on sealing up the unit so that I can put my soft cab on. I have purchased enough weatherstripping, rubber sheeting, neoprene foam, and adhesive to seal a school bus. One thing I am tempted to do is to spray foam the hollow doors. I can’t stand the feel of the hollow plastic doors. They seem cheap and toylike. I am thinking about taking them off, drilling some holes in the top and bottom and filling it with great stuff expanding foam. I plan on removing them, removing the latches, and lightly clamping them horizontally with plywood. I also plan leaving the holes open so that expanded foam would be able to be released. I would then fill the holes with plastic pegs. I don’t think it would add much weight but would solidify the doors and make them warmer in the winter. Obviously my biggest fear is causing them to expand but I do have quite a bit of experience with the stuff and think it should work just fine. I will start with one door in the back so if it doesn’t work out it will be about a $50 mistake. Anyone have any ideas or experience with something similar or is my idea crazy?

I think @CumminsPusher filled his doors and tailgate with some kind of foam that wouldn't expand as bad as great stuff

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Rear doors make great storage, I have a shovel, air compressor,(2) tierods, 20oz CO2 tank with hose, (2) blocks, (4) 1” diameter shackles, 50’ winch line extension, 20’ tree saver, 6’ tree saver, and a limb saw....in ONE rear door.

910ad10bb71bacaeaef75da4154bb97a
E7250eaac2c0b61c3b85b3b904e0ca37

If you have the soft cab stuff pool noodles, and pipe insulation in the gaps in the winter and add the heater IN the cab so it’s heating warmer air.

In the summer put a “bug buster” windscreen on, there’s no stopping the dust I tried and failed on my 700.
Spray foam as you know is a PITA to remove, clean up, and it soaks up water.

Reactions: sharp and Mudwing
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The storage is a cool idea. The spray foam would only be inside the enclosed doors. Nothing on the surface. I have a vented windshield and a cab with a back window. Dust isn’t bad but it could always be better. I put a couple of dust deflectors on the front posts that are just strips of polycarbon that are angled at the edge and they seem to do a pretty good job of redirecting the jetstream around the unit.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Great. I hope he throws me a bone.

Windows and doors great stuff or even better is loc tite expanding foam. Use in layers so it dries evenly. Haven’t done the back doors yet in new rig but side doors are done and I saved the old gate that I made for storage
2E5FE991 C859 4535 AEEB 071D43D548CE DD330B05 F42A 429C 8454 D8AB6AA245AF

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!