P700 Seat back bolts seized 700-4

V

vwprostock

Apr 15, 2016
Flower Mound, TX
Minor suggestion/tech tip.

If you have never had them out, remove the outer screws that hold the rear seat headrest (top part) and put some sealant on the threads and around the heads.

I just put seat covers on my new to me 14' and one of them was seized. Upon drilling it out, the plastic got a tad warm and opened up the hole a bit. I got the headrest off, cut the bolt off, but cover on, and re-installed with just one of the two bolts.

Once you look at it, you will see how they recess will hold water and allow it to seep down and corrode the threads.

Damaged one is the top one in my crappy pic.

Take ya 5 min to take the outer ones out with a phillips screwdriverand dab them with sealant.

Happy motoring!

Greg

IMAG4068

V

vwprostock

Apr 15, 2016
Flower Mound, TX
It was a tad surprising since I did the passenger side, super quick, not one ounce of corrosion or issue with either bolt. 84 hrs on this machine, doesn't appear to have been beached, no corrosion anywhere, and that one bolt was messed up.

The headrest is going to work, but in general it tore up the headrest backing plastic where the nut slides into, and the backing panel. So that sucks.

Live and learn...just thought I would share since a quick removal and dab of sealer/silicone/anti seize or similar would probably keep it from happening for 10 more years.