P500 Seating Q. - With kids

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
So I hope to be buying a Pioneer 500 in the future. We travel up to NH frequently around the Keene area and there are trails that only allow up to a 50" width. Have 2 girls, ages 3 and 5. I've sat in a Pioneer 500 in the showroom and think my 3 year old could fit in the middle and the 5 year old in the passenger seat. So a couple questions. Is there a way to bolt a middle seat belt in (Like a 4 or 5 point harness)? For those of you that ride with kids, do you just use a bicycle Helmet? Not looking to do anything crazy with the kids in it, no mudding or anything like that. If it wasn't for the width restrictions on the trail I would just get a 4 seat Pioneer700 or 1000. Thanks for any input.

Reactions: 500oneer
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I say buy a 700 and drive an other hour north and ride up there. alot more trails

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I say buy a 700 and drive an other hour north and ride up there. alot more trails

I would have to agree with that, the problem with 3 and 5 year olds is they tend to grow. That Honda Pioneer will last you until they are driving their own cars.

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT

The closest 50+" UTV trail we have is the Warren Recreational Trail which is about a 2 hour drive each way. There are about 5 trails for 50" or less around the Keene area. Most of the time I would just take 1 kid with me, but there might be a time or two I'd like to have both. Sure wish these trails allowed 60" UTVs on them. Guess I can't have my cake and eat it too...

Dc0261ba11e299cf0461a885ef155ecd

Reactions: Dp5hunter
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
So I hope to be buying a Pioneer 500 in the future. We travel up to NH frequently around the Keene area and there are trails that only allow up to a 50" width. Have 2 girls, ages 3 and 5. I've sat in a Pioneer 500 in the showroom and think my 3 year old could fit in the middle and the 5 year old in the passenger seat. So a couple questions. Is there a way to bolt a middle seat belt in (Like a 4 or 5 point harness)? For those of you that ride with kids, do you just use a bicycle Helmet? Not looking to do anything crazy with the kids in it, no mudding or anything like that. If it wasn't for the width restrictions on the trail I would just get a 4 seat Pioneer700 or 1000. Thanks for any input.
I think it would be possible to add in another 3 point harness, as far as enough room,I think you would be ok,I have had my 6 and 8 year old grandkids in front with me and have enough room, but don't take them on any public trails ,only ride on local private land with them, so you will first want to check and see if it would be legal on public trails to have 3 people in a machine that is only rated for 2. No matter what you decide on, get them good helmets.I built my own rear seats with cage and seat belts but they can't ride without helmets and they are ok with that.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I think it would be possible to add in another 3 point harness, as far as enough room,I think you would be ok,I have had my 6 and 8 year old grandkids in front with me and have enough room, but don't take them on any public trails ,only ride on local private land with them, so you will first want to check and see if it would be legal on public trails to have 3 people in a machine that is only rated for 2. No matter what you decide on, get them good helmets.I built my own rear seats with cage and seat belts but they can't ride without helmets and they are ok with that.
Oh, and welcome to the club ,hope you find something to fit your needs.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Read my P500 build thread for how to install 4 point restraints. I did it before adding the suspension seats.

Reactions: Jshell3
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Use a bungee cord for the seat belt but not a bicycle helmet, she could get hurt. The bungee is also good for grins when you slam on the brakes.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I put a middle lap belt on my 500 and I fit my 2 and 6 yr old sons easily. The lap belt works good for my 2yr old on mild rides around the house, but I wouldnt take him on any rough trails where I would have the chance of rolling or slamming him around. I am sure you could figure out some kind of harness that might make if safer.

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Lots of great input on this forum.

advertisement
J

JasonS

Jun 18, 2015
I put a middle lap belt on my 500 and I fit my 2 and 6 yr old sons easily. The lap belt works good for my 2yr old on mild rides around the house, but I wouldnt take him on any rough trails where I would have the chance of rolling or slamming him around. I am sure you could figure out some kind of harness that might make if safer.
Could you kindly post a link to the lap belt you bought and how you connected it? Thx so much!!

miano248

miano248

Sep 10, 2015
oceanside long island new york
Could you kindly post a link to the lap belt you bought and how you connected it? Thx so much!!
just add a lap belt and use existing seat belt bolts under seat you many only have to add drill one hole for buckle use grade #8 bolt and get the girls dot helmets, bike helmets wont cut it if it gets bumpy don't want there little heads bouncing of the rear roll bar or dash

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015

I got a cheap lap belt off of ebay for around $10. I attached it with the existing bolts that hold the belt reciever on. You may need to shorten the the new lap belt as I initially couldnt get it to cinch properly on my 2yr old. works good now.

J

Jshell3

@uconn411 I agree with others have said... I seat 3 (11 yr old, 100# son) across the seats all the time. One of the reasons I bought the P500 was bc of the bench seats.

Get 2 pt seat lap belt from EBay. Super cheap, easy mod.

Good luck!

eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
What kind of helmets are you all buying for your toddler size kids? I would like something lightweight and DOT. I keep going back to the Bell Sanction ($70) which is made in a small enough size, full face, lightweight (950 grams), and has bike certifications but is not DOT. Personally the bike certifications are satisfactory for the riding we will be doing because she will still be in a car seat or booster seat, but if we ride the established trail systems around here some of them require DOT or Snell rated helmets.

Klegrand37

Klegrand37

Nov 20, 2016
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 500
I live in the Keene area, have two boys 2 and 5. The 2 yr old hasn't rode in the P5 at all yet, but the 5 yr old had me taking him out as much as possible. I would suggest buying the p5 for 50" trails your immediate area of choice. One thing I have found that justifies buying the 50" machine over the larger options is when the trail is blocked by a downed tree there is usually a way to get through the woods blazing a trail until you can get back into the trail. You won't have that option with anything over 60".
You can always ride other trail options giving the length of suspension travel is not overcome. That's the biggest down fall with the p5 I can see. As for helmets I bought open face and goggles from tractor supply, $38 for helmet $15 for goggles and they are DOT.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!