P1000 Second Battery Weirdness

Arkansaslawguy

Arkansaslawguy

Nov 19, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Installed by second battery, stinger, switch panel, etc. today. Only two things running off the second battery right now is the winch and a 12" light bar.

Winch, voltmeter, usb, and cigarette lighter are wired for key on. The switches (just the light bar right now) are not.

When I was done and testing everything out, there were a few times that after I turned the key off, everything stayed on, including the voltmeter, etc, and the system display. On the display, all lights were on, and a "c - - - - h" was flashing at the bottom. I tried searching for something similar, but couldn't find it.

It didn't do it every time (only 2 or 3 out of dozens of tries), and I could find a way to make it do it. Any ideas?

Arkansaslawguy

Arkansaslawguy

Nov 19, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How is your voltmeter hooked up?
Just a thought. I have two wires coming out of the output of the stinger. One to the voltmeter/usb/cigarette and one to the winch switch. Could this cause my problem?

Reactions: ChadD
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a thought. I have two wires coming out of the output of the stinger. One to the voltmeter/usb/cigarette and one to the winch switch. Could this cause my problem?
Do you mean the two smaller posts? For the smaller one is a negative and one hot, doesn’t matter which you pick. The 2 larger top posts are both hot, aux battery to one and the other for where you want switched power to go, I have the output feeding my aux fuse box and main winch power, the winch switch is then ran off the aux fuse box.

But I don’t get why you would have output back to the volt, usb and cig since that is getting switched power from the main batt assuming you mean factory cig, this is what should be the hot or positive input to the small stinger post to activate it with the other smaller post running a ground or neg wire.

The output power from the stinger should be to power something large, think battery cable sizes here, not any switches directly, you need to run power from it to a aux fuse box, all switches and other accessories not powered by the main fuse box or relays then should get power from the aux fuse box.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you zoom in top left of battery you can see how my stinger is wired.

46F692E3 9DA8 4198 B76F 4B0B2C273EB9

Reactions: ChadD
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That doesn’t sound rt at all. The stinger has two large posts both should be hot. One power in and one power out. The smaller posts are to control the stinger. One is a ground and the other is a hot that controls the stinger.

Arkansaslawguy

Arkansaslawguy

Nov 19, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you mean the two smaller posts? For the smaller one is a negative and one hot, doesn’t matter which you pick. The 2 larger top posts are both hot, aux battery to one and the other for where you want switched power to go, I have the output feeding my aux fuse box and main winch power, the winch switch is then ran off the aux fuse box.

But I don’t get why you would have output back to the volt, usb and cig since that is getting switched power from the main batt assuming you mean factory cig, this is what should be the hot or positive input to the small stinger post to activate it with the other smaller post running a ground or neg wire.

The output power from the stinger should be to power something large, think battery cable sizes here, not any switches directly, you need to run power from it to a aux fuse box, all switches and other accessories not powered by the main fuse box or relays then should get power from the aux fuse box.
I mean the large post.

The cig that I’m talking about isn’t the factory. It’s a second one on the switch panel that is wired together on a circuit with the usb and voltmeter. Those 3 are the only things (plus the winch switch) I wanted key on power to. Winch power is to the aux battery.

The switch panel has in line fuses for each individual switch (5 switches), since I’m just wiring up a 12” led bar I’m just using that for now instead of a fuse box.

I’m going to start unhooking stuff this morning and try to isolate where the backfeed is coming from. Not sure what else to do at this point.

advertisement
Arkansaslawguy

Arkansaslawguy

Nov 19, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went out work on it this morning, and figured out my terminals on the main battery were loose. Tightened them up and haven’t been able to recreate the problem, so I guess that was it.

Reactions: Coeus and TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!