P500 Serious Major Screw-up during valve check!!!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
At this point..... pull the "f#ck lever" and start it up and rev the sh!t out of it. It'll probably be fine, if not I'll send you instructions to install the 520 cyl & piston 😆

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
With the borescope I could see some scratches in the carbon on top of the piston, from the coat hanger search. Could not see anything from the dowl rod squish. One of the concerns in the back of my mind, was if the dowl rod became a "live coal" that the engine would diesel and not shut-off. Not sure if that could actually happen, but part of the reason that I did very short runs, followed by cool-down.

The new air filter didn't make the delivery today, so won't get in a full ride for a week or so. I always try to follow-up on my threads, and will do so.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
And here I thought I was going to get allot #&!% for substituting the dowl rod when no straws were to be found. ;) The thread was started just for the purpose of warning of that to others.

The risk for the valves, came with the initial mechanical turn-overs. By the first start up, only a few stray small pieces might have still been there.

I did the compression check today. Same as the two prior times on sparkplug change. 110psi throttle closed and 140psi WOT. The prior ones were done cold, so this test was too.

Reactions: rtn001 and CID
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
..... One of the concerns in the back of my mind, was if the dowl rod became a "live coal" that the engine would diesel and not shut-off......
Nope, that's a definite NOT POSSIBLE. If it were carbuerated maybe but w fuel injection once the key is off the fuel is shut off as well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!