Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Met some friends at Sabine ATV Park yesterday for some long overdue riding. Although this location is not idea for our style of trail riding, they do have some decent trails contradictory to the unlimited supply of mud and water holes. It’s was very hot and dusty yesterday.

However, those conditions made for an excellent day of testing something new we are working on. As I’ve said before, when inspiration hits, I must acknowledge it and entertain the idea.

My design partner and I spent most of last week during spare time for day jobs brainstorming ideas for sealing that shifter opening. I’d even talked with a manufacturer the week before about my idea, but after conversations and design sketch trading, they concluded they couldn’t make it how I wanted. So we came up with some ideas to try on our own using our 3d printers.

Friday I was installing the first rendition of our concept. It worked OK but I knew there was a better way. While studying the installation I had an idea but that required machining parts, which I don't have access to at this time. Then I went back to my original sketch idea that a manufacturer said they couldn't do. I had a new idea about that sketch so into the office I went to draw some cad models. It was freaking HOT outside anyway! The main design problem was how to hold the brushes in place? Within 2 hours I had a new prototype designed, 3d printed and installed for testing. And it worked! I had the design to test on Saturday's ride.

IMG 3148

We've definitely got some refinement to do before releasing to the public but the concept worked during test riding. The brushes blocked nearly all of the air coming though the shifter plate openings even at highway speed. I'd like to test different brush materials also. Overall, I'm very pleased with the first day of testing. Installation was easy, even with this early prototype.

This design could be made to fit the OEM shifter plate also.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Sweet. You thinking of making these for CATech plates as well?

Reactions: Backwoods
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I'm thinking this may work for those. I'd have to try it and see. The subframe opening is the same no mater what shifter plate covers it.

For the OEM plate, you'd have to remove the tab that hooks into the subframe.