P500 Shifting Question

D

Deltaokra

Nov 26, 2016
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
I recently bought a very low miles/hours 2015. Everything has been great but recently noticed some shifting issues and have a few questions. Up shifting no issues, except I notice that once I get around 20mph, I have to get to 5th gear. Runs great from there. Is that normal? As for down shifting, I noticed it is starting to get rough. If I'm in 5th gear or a lower gear and start slowing down or letting off to make a turn, it is a rough down shift. It's almost like I have to be slowing down significantly for the down shift to be smooth. Any body have any similar issues or know what I need to be on the look-out for? I'm due for an oil change. It will be the second one for the vehicle and am going synthetic. Hope this helps some.

Thanks for any help.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
It should....
mine shifted rough
when new...got better
with oil changes. ...
there's a nack...you find
keep riding bro.....
it's a Honda

Reactions: HUCK
M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Also synthetic lube In differentials smooth things out . I used mobil one . Good results

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I recently bought a very low miles/hours 2015. Everything has been great but recently noticed some shifting issues and have a few questions. Up shifting no issues, except I notice that once I get around 20mph, I have to get to 5th gear. Runs great from there. Is that normal? As for down shifting, I noticed it is starting to get rough. If I'm in 5th gear or a lower gear and start slowing down or letting off to make a turn, it is a rough down shift. It's almost like I have to be slowing down significantly for the down shift to be smooth. Any body have any similar issues or know what I need to be on the look-out for? I'm due for an oil change. It will be the second one for the vehicle and am going synthetic. Hope this helps some.

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forum Deltaokra. I've found the P5 to be pretty low geared. 25 to 42 mph is 5th gear. You may be down shifting at too high speed. Moose is right though, changing the diff fluid to full synthetic helps. Still on my first oil change, next one will be with Mobil 1.

Reactions: rocmar
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
All normal , just touch your gas pedal a bit when you down shift and it will be smooth . Takes some seat time to get it down but you will be fine .

Reactions: rocmar

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!