P500 P500 shifting

Garlicfarmer

Garlicfarmer

Jan 27, 2023
Oregon
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
My 2023 Honda P500 does weird shifting when in Auto mode. Other day it downshifting from 2nd to 1st and then would not go back into neutral?? Like idiot I shut off engine then it would not restart because it was not in neutral.
I rocked the sxs back and forth a couple times and it then went into neutral. Any others have problems. It's brand new. Only about 40 miles on it. It also sometimes acts like it wants todie when shifting gears. Mostly from 1st to 2nd. Manual shifting works fine.
Should I do the first oil change and see if that helps.
I want to spend winter in AZ. Alone. Don't want to have to walk out of the desert. To old for that crap.

Reactions: TxDoc and Rdrcr
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I can't speak for automatic because mine doesn't have it, but did you let it warm up. They don't like to shift when the machine is cold or sometimes when it's not rolling. When you tried to start it in gear did you have your foot on the brake.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
My 2018 (bought new in 2019) had some shifting issues for a bit when new. I recall others having issues as well until they get driven a bit.

Don't baby it, put some work and miles on it and see.

Hopefully nothing wrong with it; if there is, I certainly can't diagnose it! 😆

Good luck

Garlicfarmer

Garlicfarmer

Jan 27, 2023
Oregon
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Thank you everyone for tge advise.
Love my P500.
I'll drive hard and see.
I am heading to Quartzsite Az this winter. Be awsume if we could get a group of P 500 owners together some time. Miles of Free Camping. Miles of Off Road adventures. Warm sunshine. Me 72. Heading there with truck, toy hauler and P500.

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
My P520 has done some weird shifting while in auto mode but, I can typically trigger some bizarre shifting behavior after doing doughnuts in gravel, lol. Honestly, I just use manual mode now and haven't had any issues. Though, sometimes when it's cold, I can smell a bit of clutch for the first 1/8 mile of driving.

Mike

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Mine is a 2015 and no auto mode. It's gotten in-between gears with the - on the display like trigger mentioned. No big deal. I just rock it a little back and forth into a gear and go. Does it a few times a year.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!