P1000 Shifting woes and mt at light stays on

J

Justing344

Jul 27, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm new here and have been doing lots of reading but I cannot seem to figure out my issue. I would greatly appreciate any help provided.

I picked up a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 that slips between shifts but seems to reverse without slipping. I figured that it just needed clutches so I pulled them and they look great and it has already had the updated housing in it. It also had new oil when drained and it appeared to have new filters in there as well. While I had it apart I also checked the screens in the pick up and in the clutch area and both are clear.

Before I pulled the clutches out I noticed that the MT and AT was staying illuminated on the dash so I attempted the relearn procedure. I went through the procedure and after it would appear like it was going to work and then fail every time.

I am at a loss, I really don't know where to turn from here.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Need to see if you have any codes flashing. Mine had both modes showing when it needed a relearn.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you are like me I was TOO SLOW inputting the relearn. Took me 3 times to be fast enough for it to take. You have to be QUICK!!! Try it again. It does work. You have to input data fast and no breaks to look at what you are inputting. Have what you have to input by your keyboard. Cussing is an option, but it didn't help me.

J

Justing344

Jul 27, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys.

I have to work tomorrow but I will get it back together on Thursday and try And see if I can get some codes out of it.

I’m sure I will be back with more questions.

By the way. I feel like I’m putting in a cheat code in my old ps2 when doing the relearn procedure. Who comes up with this stuff. Lol

J

Justing344

Jul 27, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok. I finally got everything back together with fresh oil. Although it does seem to go into gear easier now I still cannot get the mt and at lights out. It's also still shifting harshly and slipping.

I have completed the relearn procedure several times and it will flash the "-" symbol for 60 seconds slowly and then flash it fast indicating that the relearn did not take.

I then pulled the codes off of it and there was several codes: 9, 15, 16, 44, 47, 48, 73.

With this many codes I was thinking it may be an ecm or ecu issue.

What are everyone's thoughts.

Thank you.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Ok. I finally got everything back together with fresh oil. Although it does seem to go into gear easier now I still cannot get the mt and at lights out. It's also still shifting harshly and slipping.

I have completed the relearn procedure several times and it will flash the "-" symbol for 60 seconds slowly and then flash it fast indicating that the relearn did not take.

I then pulled the codes off of it and there was several codes: 9, 15, 16, 44, 47, 48, 73.

With this many codes I was thinking it may be an ecm or ecu issue.

What are everyone's thoughts.

Thank you.
Those codes all stem from everything the harness at the clutch cover goes to. Pretty much every sensor around and in the clutch housing. Pretty sure there is big connector off the side of the cover you need to check.

J

Justing344

Jul 27, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whoo Hoo. Ok. I finally have got this thing fixed.

I hate when people don't come back and post after getting their rig fixed so here goes.

The codes that were on their I believe were from the previous owner and after I cleared the codes they never came back. I did try to do the relearn procedure several more times after clearing the codes to no avail. I got pretty fast at it by this point but it would fail every time.

After oil changes, filters and headaches I finally said screw it and tore it down both clutches, oil pump and went through all the transmission shift and clutch solenoids. I cleaned every part and could not find anything that appeared damaged or broken. I then decided to order all 4 solenoids in the clutch housing along with Honda 10w30 Oil, new gaskets, oil temp sensor, oil filter and DCT filter. I also cleaned the clutches with gasoline after dissembling the clutch packs "advice from my uncle who used to tinker with old motorcycles".

I got it all back together and the clutch relearn procedure worked the very 1st time like a charm. It shifts great now and I am glad that I didn't quit on it. I honestly don't know which part ultimately fixed it but if I had to guess I would say the shift solenoids. There appeared to be a small amount of sludge and debris around in that area which led me to just go ahead and buy them. I figured it would not take much to clog one of those solenoids.

Thanks for everyone's help and maybe this post will help someone down the road.

By the way, the repair manual on this website was invaluable. I honestly couldn't have done it without it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I hate when people don't come back and post after getting their rig fixed so here goes.

The codes that were on their I believe were from the previous owner and after I cleared the codes they never came back. I did try to do the relearn procedure several more times after clearing the codes to no avail. I got pretty fast at it by this point but it would fail every time.

After oil changes, filters and headaches I finally said screw it and tore it down both clutches, oil pump and went through all the transmission shift and clutch solenoids. I cleaned every part and could not find anything that appeared damaged or broken. I then decided to order all 4 solenoids in the clutch housing along with Honda 10w30 Oil, new gaskets, oil temp sensor, oil filter and DCT filter. I also cleaned the clutches with gasoline after dissembling the clutch packs "advice from my uncle who used to tinker with old motorcycles".

I got it all back together and the clutch relearn procedure worked the very 1st time like a charm. It shifts great now and I am glad that I didn't quit on it. I honestly don't know which part ultimately fixed it but if I had to guess I would say the shift solenoids. There appeared to be a small amount of sludge and debris around in that area which led me to just go ahead and buy them. I figured it would not take much to clog one of those solenoids.

By the way, the repair manual on this website was invaluable. I honestly couldn't have done it without it.
Gotta agree that it sucks when there’s a problem but the fix wasn’t posted. That’s nice you did. Good job tearing into it and getting it done.

H

Hondaray1011

Jan 1, 2023
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

By the way, the repair manual on this website was invaluable. I honestly couldn't have done it withow much w
how much was your shift solenoids

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
ok thx man mine dont shift at all it did at first now notting
what seems to be happening with yours ,, give us some info and maybe someone will have a idea. Just in case you didn't know there is a shift motor on the back that does the shifting ,maybe it needs to be taken apart and cleaned up or replaced or broken wires . Many different things can go wrong so we need more info in order to possibly steer you in the right direction.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
what seems to be happening with yours ,, give us some info and maybe someone will have a idea. Just in case you didn't know there is a shift motor on the back that does the shifting ,maybe it needs to be taken apart and cleaned up or replaced or broken wires . Many different things can go wrong so we need more info in order to possibly steer you in the right direction.
Hes got 2 threads on it and in another thread already. Ive talked to him over PM and I think what we can do vrs him is over his head and he needs to take in to a good dealer for his issue.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!