P1000 Shifting Issue

R

Rynoleum

Jul 11, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone had an issue with a sound bar causing shifting issues on a 2016 1000-5? Mine has left me stranded twice not shifting. Both times, the different shift range shows on the dash (P, R, N H, or L) but it won't move or dies when put in gear. Shop has driven it for 2 hours and can't replicate. Only difference is the fuse is pulled for the sound bar. Can't imagine that is the cause but is the only common denominator. No codes on dash currently or usually. The other day I did g…
See more

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
first things first welcome from Michigan and congrats on your first post since joining three years ago.

So you should know rule #4 by now got a post picks of your rig with your first post or these guys get irritable.
Pics Or It Didn't Happen!

Onto your issue. What kind of sound bar do you have? And how do you have it wired?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Single OEM battery? Original battery?

I have not personally experienced any issues, but I do recall being told that the DCT is very finicky when it comes to battery voltage. If your battery is old/weak, you may want to have that checked out and replaced if necessary. That "sound bar" could be pulling enough juice from a weak battery to affect the DCT. Again, that's what I was told - others will chime in.

FYI: Pics or your machines does NOT exist. :)

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
So the sound bar fuse pulled solves the issue?

Have batree tested

Volts when idling, etc.

Really need volt readings when it’s not working, voltage with tunes off/on, does tge sound bar have some sorta ground leakage, etc.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Really depends on the way you have it wired. If you're just wired into a circuit shared by other electronics you could get some gremlins. If the power wire for the soundbar runs to the battery and you have a good ground, it's probably the battery.

Reactions: Smitty335
R

Rynoleum

Jul 11, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
first things first welcome from Michigan and congrats on your first post since joining three years ago.

So you should know rule #4 by now got a post picks of your rig with your first post or these guys get irritable.
Pics Or It Didn't Happen!

Onto your issue. What kind of sound bar do you have? And how do you have it wired?
My apologies good sir. I have 2 Boss Audio sound bars. One 18" and one 27" both wired to accessory battery on a switch

SxS

R

Rynoleum

Jul 11, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Single OEM battery? Original battery?

I have not personally experienced any issues, but I do recall being told that the DCT is very finicky when it comes to battery voltage. If your battery is old/weak, you may want to have that checked out and replaced if necessary. That "sound bar" could be pulling enough juice from a weak battery to affect the DCT. Again, that's what I was told - others will chime in.

FYI: Pics or your machines does NOT exist. :)
I'm going to test voltage next time i ride.

SxS

Reactions: Remington
R

Rynoleum

Jul 11, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the sound bar fuse pulled solves the issue?

Have batree tested

Volts when idling, etc.

Really need volt readings when it’s not working, voltage with tunes off/on, does tge sound bar have some sorta ground leakage, etc.
So far thats the common denominator. I haven't had a chance to ride it again to double check.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My apologies good sir. I have 2 Boss Audio sound bars. One 18" and one 27" both wired to accessory battery on a switch

View attachment 392325
Nice buggy!

You should have that on a second battery with a true isolator. You can get the TI in the club store.
Not knowing the exact particulars of your wiring Its hard to tell 100% exact cause. But having that wired the way it stands its not optimal. These JAH’s have alot of electrical that operate the DCT and other things. Unles your running a very low output light, IMO i would leave my the primary battery for just that and your secondary battery for your accessories.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have an accurate volt meter (and even the $5 cheapo Harbor Freight one is accurate enough) measure the at rest voltage of the batteries after the machine has been sitting there for a few hours to a day or more.

Lead Acid Battery Voltage Charts Image 10

Next, apply a load, headlights etc. voltage should drop but stay reasonably high. When cranking with the starter/battery, voltage should not drop below 10 volts or so.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Next, apply a load, headlights etc. voltage should drop but stay reasonably high. When cranking with the starter/battery, voltage should not drop below 10 volts or so.
The OP should do this test fo sho!
He might have killed a cell in that battery

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Batteries can go bad prematurely. My '21 main battery failed within a year. This was likely caused by all the parts shortages at Honda. If batteries are in storage, assuming reasonable temperatures (hot is worse), lead acid (Pb) batteries need to be charged every 6 months. My battery was probably sitting there on the shelf as they didn't have parts to finish a bunch of side by sides, or it was installed in a partially finished P1000-5 and then sat there waiting for parts to finish.

Like many, I have all my aux stuff, as well as the winch, on my aux or second battery.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Anyone had an issue with a sound bar causing shifting issues on a 2016 1000-5? Mine has left me stranded twice not shifting. Both times, the different shift range shows on the dash (P, R, N H, or L) but it won't move or dies when put in gear. Shop has driven it for 2 hours and can't replicate. Only difference is the fuse is pulled for the sound bar. Can't imagine that is the cause but is the only common denominator. No codes on dash currently or usually. The other day I did g…
See more
How many miles on your machine. If around the 6500 mile range and seeing that it's a 2016 I would recommend removing the shift /control motor. Take it apart and clean it up . The armature will probably look black with carbon build up. Also when your into the motor check out the brushes etc: to make sure there making good & none of the springs are broken. As these machines get older and more miles the shift motor starts acting up causing all sorts of weird problem. NTW the shift motor does all the shifting of the trans gears even if the Paddle shifters are being used. There are many posts on here and on the net about shift motor issues . I'am not saying this is your problem but it sure sounds like it is.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!