P1000 Winch install - wiring issue

B

bigriverexpress

Oct 29, 2023
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Installing a Warn VRX 45 winch on our new Pioneer 1000-6 Crew.

I have everything mounted and wired per the Warn diagram. My final step was to reconnect the negative cable to the battery terminal, and I am getting a severe spark / melting the terminal. I assume there is a short in my wiring with the winch / solenoid.

Can anyone point me on steps to troubleshoot this?

B

bigriverexpress

Oct 29, 2023
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
This is the "aftermarket" VRX 45 winch from Warn. Everything has fit perfectly and all wiring connections have made sense, but obviously the final test of completing the terminal connections shows something is wrong. Grounding? I do not have the experience with this type of project to rely on any past knowledge.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
So it is NOT the "HONDA" Warn brand and Honda wiring kit?

And you sure the rings are not touching at the solenoid, this seems to be a common issue others have had.
Not really much to check outside the Solenoid box.

On the solenoid, there are 3 spade connectors on the bottom.
The center is the ground, Is there a little wire going to the big ground post up top?
Confirm that's where the ground wire is connected.

I would start testing at the solenoid.
Disconnect the positive LARGE RED wire. Either at the battery or solenoid, Caution not to let it touch.
Leave the ground large wire, its needed. Leave the small wires all connected.
Try to hook the battery up again. no sparks = continue. Sparks = STOP.
Test in/out and listen for the solenoid to click. It will be fairly loud.

B

bigriverexpress

Oct 29, 2023
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
So it is NOT the "HONDA" Warn brand and Honda wiring kit?

And you sure the rings are not touching at the solenoid, this seems to be a common issue others have had.
Not really much to check outside the Solenoid box.

On the solenoid, there are 3 spade connectors on the bottom.
The center is the ground, Is there a little wire going to the big ground post up top?
Confirm that's where the ground wire is connected.

I would start testing at the solenoid.
Disconnect the positive LARGE RED wire. Either at the battery or solenoid, Caution not to let it touch.
Leave the ground large wire, its needed. Leave the small wires all connected.
Try to hook the battery up again. no sparks = continue. Sparks = STOP.
Test in/out and listen for the solenoid to click. It will be fairly loud.
This is extremely helpful.

When you say "leave the ground large wire", I'm not certain what this refers to.

There is a small brown wire on the solenoid going from the center spade connection to the large post above it, and my understanding is that serves as the ground for the circuit. It is shown that way in the diagram. There is no reference in the manual to use any additional ground to the Honda.

I need to ensure all post wires are cleanly connected and have no contact points between them when I am able to spend time next on this.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This is extremely helpful.

When you say "leave the ground large wire", I'm not certain what this refers to.
From the battery to the contactor, the large gauge ground wire. We need this to test the contactor function. We don't need the large positive. If the contactor is the issue, there should not be any spark as we are not feeding positive.
There is a small brown wire on the solenoid going from the center spade connection to the large post above it, and my understanding is that serves as the ground for the circuit. It is shown that way in the diagram. There is no reference in the manual to use any additional ground to the Honda.
Correct, and to get a ground, the large post must be grounded.
I need to ensure all post wires are cleanly connected and have no contact points between them when I am able to spend time next on this.
Yes... Several people have had similar issues, and this has been the problem.

Reactions: Scoop and Smitty335
B

bigriverexpress

Oct 29, 2023
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Resolved the short by eliminating a wire contact point at the solenoid. Final (previously unknown) step now will be to wire in to key-on power via the white wire on the accessory outlet on the dash.

There is no instruction on this provided by Warn, but Youtube clearly laid out my scenario on an older 700 model.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!