P1000 Shock upgrade for P1k-3

ClayWelder

ClayWelder

Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So, I have my P1k, 3 seater. I am researching suspension upgrades, and I am wondering are the Fox QS3 shocks really worth it? Also, there are slightly different part numbers between the ones for the 3 seater vs the 5 seater. Are they really that different? I would have thought that they would be interchangeable, as the frames and A arms are the same. If anything I would imagine that the ones for the 5 seater might have slightly higher weight capacity/stiffer, but I am not really sure. The only differences I can see are cosmetic, but that doesn’t mean anything. And finding the rear QS3 Fox shocks (pn# ends in F50 vs F00 for the -5 seat) for the 3 seater seems to be slightly more difficult. They all seem to have the same pricing, fronts or rears for either being the same price.

Can anyone help shed some light on this? My plans right now are to upgrade the stock A arms to the SuperATV 1.5” A arms. (1.5” lift/1.5” offset) front and rear, new HD ball joints and bushings, and the front frame stiffner plate. Also on the list are a set of Rhino 2.0 axles. And I thought that upgrading the shocks at the same time would be the way to go. My ride is a 2016 M3 P1K.

Thanks!

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So, I have my P1k, 3 seater. I am researching suspension upgrades, and I am wondering are the Fox QS3 shocks really worth it? Also, there are slightly different part numbers between the ones for the 3 seater vs the 5 seater. Are they really that different? I would have thought that they would be interchangeable, as the frames and A arms are the same. If anything I would imagine that the ones for the 5 seater might have slightly higher weight capacity/stiffer, but I am not really sure. The only differences I can see are cosmetic, but that doesn’t mean anything. And finding the rear QS3 Fox shocks (pn# ends in F50 vs F00 for the -5 seat) for the 3 seater seems to be slightly more difficult. They all seem to have the same pricing, fronts or rears for either being the same price.

Can anyone help shed some light on this? My plans right now are to upgrade the stock A arms to the SuperATV 1.5” A arms. (1.5” lift/1.5” offset) front and rear, new HD ball joints and bushings, and the front frame stiffner plate. Also on the list are a set of Rhino 2.0 axles. And I thought that upgrading the shocks at the same time would be the way to go. My ride is a 2016 M3 P1K.

Thanks!
I can't attest to the ride difference from stock to the FOX shocks (haven't upgraded yet) but I do believe they provide a much better ride. Like you mentioned, the P1K5 rears are different due to the weight, spring loads are different. If you're thinking of changing springs like a lot of guys have, then I would go ahead and order the P1K3 if they are easier/cheaper to get.

Just a FYI (unless they updated designs) the SATV arms do NOT give you lift, only offset. You gain your lift by adding preload to the shocks.

Also, check @art_ronayers for a good deal on the FOX shocks 👍

ClayWelder

ClayWelder

Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I can't attest to the ride difference from stock to the FOX shocks (haven't upgraded yet) but I do believe they provide a much better ride. Like you mentioned, the P1K5 rears are different due to the weight, spring loads are different. If you're thinking of changing springs like a lot of guys have, then I would go ahead and order the P1K3 if they are easier/cheaper to get.

Just a FYI (unless they updated designs) the SATV arms do NOT give you lift, only offset. You gain your lift by adding preload to the shocks.

Also, check @art_ronayers for a good deal on the FOX shocks 👍
Thanks for the info! Actually, the rears for the P1k-5 are easier to find, the fronts for either are readily available also. It’s the rears for the P1k-3 that seem to be somewhat difficult to find.

Also, I spoke with a SATV representative and he stated that the High Lift arms and the Atlas arms both have 1.5” lift, and 1.5” offset to front/rear. Basically the difference in them is the size of the tubing: 1.25” vs 1.5”, iirc. So, I hope that he wasn’t blowing smoke. I’m looking for some more lift, but for my purposes I don’t need to spend the extra money on the Atlas arms if I don’t have to. I mean, I would definitely love to put the Atlas arms on, but I can’t really justify the extra cost, if the overall lift etc are the same. I use my buggy for inspecting on the pipeline, and I almost never get faster than 15mph on the Right-of-Way, or maybe 25-30 in the line driveway at home etc. I’m just looking for some extra height, for rougher ground, and deeper mud and steeper terrain. I also have some wheels spacers waiting to go on, once I have the extended extra large mud flaps . Oh and I replaced my stock 12”/27” rims/tires with a set of take-offs from a Honda Talon (15” rims with 28” tires), which work just fine on the stock ride setup that I have now.

So basically I was thinking that, if the Fox QS3 shocks for the -5 seat are slightly stiffer overall for basically a slightly higher ride height (assuming that I am running with less weight vs a P1k-5 full of people), and they will bolt in, I might as well go that route. They are the same price point. I would be taking advantage of the higher spring rate with a lighter load, so that should give a little bit higher ride height, at whichever setting I set, vs the P1k-3 Fox QS3 shock set. Then I would not have to worry about trying to preload the springs to gain more lift. Am I correct in my thinking?

I know that if I go with the higher spring rate, that I will have a slightly rougher ride (at least in theory), but I’m not too concerned about that, as I’m not running at high speeds anyways. I love this Honda, as the direct drive with the DCT is perfect for going down steep slopes @30-35° without even a worry about losing control, vs those other SxS’s with the belt drive. It’s like someone designed this thing to be a vastly superior machine for handling steep hills… 😳😎🤣🤣👍👍👍

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the info! Actually, the rears for the P1k-5 are easier to find, the fronts for either are readily available also. It’s the rears for the P1k-3 that seem to be somewhat difficult to find.

Also, I spoke with a SATV representative and he stated that the High Lift arms and the Atlas arms both have 1.5” lift, and 1.5” offset to front/rear. Basically the difference in them is the size of the tubing: 1.25” vs 1.5”, iirc. So, I hope that he wasn’t blowing smoke. I’m looking for some more lift, but for my purposes I don’t need to spend the extra money on the Atlas arms if I don’t have to. I mean, I would definitely love to put the Atlas arms on, but I can’t really justify the extra cost, if the overall lift etc are the same. I use my buggy for inspecting on the pipeline, and I almost never get faster than 15mph on the Right-of-Way, or maybe 25-30 in the line driveway at home etc. I’m just looking for some extra height, for rougher ground, and deeper mud and steeper terrain. I also have some wheels spacers waiting to go on, once I have the extended extra large mud flaps . Oh and I replaced my stock 12”/27” rims/tires with a set of take-offs from a Honda Talon (15” rims with 28” tires), which work just fine on the stock ride setup that I have now.

So basically I was thinking that, if the Fox QS3 shocks for the -5 seat are slightly stiffer overall for basically a slightly higher ride height (assuming that I am running with less weight vs a P1k-5 full of people), and they will bolt in, I might as well go that route. They are the same price point. I would be taking advantage of the higher spring rate with a lighter load, so that should give a little bit higher ride height, at whichever setting I set, vs the P1k-3 Fox QS3 shock set. Then I would not have to worry about trying to preload the springs to gain more lift. Am I correct in my thinking?

I know that if I go with the higher spring rate, that I will have a slightly rougher ride (at least in theory), but I’m not too concerned about that, as I’m not running at high speeds anyways. I love this Honda, as the direct drive with the DCT is perfect for going down steep slopes @30-35° without even a worry about losing control, vs those other SxS’s with the belt drive. It’s like someone designed this thing to be a vastly superior machine for handling steep hills… 😳😎🤣🤣👍👍👍
Screenshot 20190426 132503 Chrome

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Also, I spoke with a SATV representative and he stated that the High Lift arms and the Atlas arms both have 1.5” lift, and 1.5” offset to front/rear. Basically the difference in them is the size of the tubing: 1.25” vs 1.5”, iirc. So, I hope that he wasn’t blowing smoke. I’m looking for some more lift, but for my purposes I don’t need to spend the extra money on the Atlas arms......
The SATV brand arms give you an extra 1.5" of clearance and offset not lift. The Atlas pro arms give you lift, clearance, and offset. On both arms the lower arm is arched to allow for the extra clearance, but only the Atlas pro offers a built in lift as well.

If you go with the FOX shocks or any other adjustable shocks, you can add pre-load to gain extra height.

ClayWelder

ClayWelder

Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The SATV brand arms give you an extra 1.5" of clearance and offset not lift. The Atlas pro arms give you lift, clearance, and offset. On both arms the lower arm is arched to allow for the extra clearance, but only the Atlas pro offers a built in lift as well.

If you go with the FOX shocks or any other adjustable shocks, you can add pre-load to gain extra height.
Hmm ok. Really? Not doubting you, but evidently they really need to re-write their advertisement, especially for the Atlas arms as I went back and checked, and they are written basically the same. You are correct, they mention clearance, but neither one actually mentions “LIFT”. Subtle differences…. Well, that does seem to put the Atlas as more of my preferred option. And it does seem, from the excellent info provided by some more knowledgeable members here, that the Fox QS3 shocks for the P1k-5 WILL bolt up, and have longer length, which I hope means that they have a longer travel..? Seems that they are indeed stiffer rate springs to handle heavier load (2 more people sitting in the back), so I am starting to think that I should go that way. After all they are both 3 setting variable shocks, so I can still choose different settings, and I would think they are definitely better suited to my needs. I like the idea of having a heavier spring, and more travel length. Sometimes I end up having to help the crews run some heavy gear to the dig site on longer access digs, and you know that the contractor always rents their side by sides which means they are basic crew setups, no power, no clearance or lift, etc. And while I don’t normally use mine for recreational activities, I have done a lot of work so far already, and she is quite the nicely tricked out machine already. I may have to do some trail rides and have some fun with this thing!!

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hmm ok. Really? Not doubting you, but evidently they really need to re-write their advertisement, especially for the Atlas arms as I went back and checked, and they are written basically the same. You are correct, they mention clearance, but neither one actually mentions “LIFT”. Subtle differences…. Well, that does seem to put the Atlas as more of my preferred option. And it does seem, from the excellent info provided by some more knowledgeable members here, that the Fox QS3 shocks for the P1k-5 WILL bolt up, and have longer length, which I hope means that they have a longer travel..? Seems that they are indeed stiffer rate springs to handle heavier load (2 more people sitting in the back), so I am starting to think that I should go that way. After all they are both 3 setting variable shocks, so I can still choose different settings, and I would think they are definitely better suited to my needs. I like the idea of having a heavier spring, and more travel length. Sometimes I end up having to help the crews run some heavy gear to the dig site on longer access digs, and you know that the contractor always rents their side by sides which means they are basic crew setups, no power, no clearance or lift, etc. And while I don’t normally use mine for recreational activities, I have done a lot of work so far already, and she is quite the nicely tricked out machine already. I may have to do some trail rides and have some fun with this thing!!
I would double check with @SuperATV on the "lift" of the Atlas arms (if any?) But I do believe you'll be happy with offset arms and nicer shocks. Take it out for some trail fun and post up some pictures 👍 we like pictures 😉😂

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 1000-5 fox shocks have longer springs on the front. The shock travel length is the same for both 1000-5 and 1000-3 fox shocks. I bought 1000-3 fox shocks for the front of my 1000-5 since that was only option available at the time. I put new springs on them which I was planning to do anyway. They are a big improvement over stock shocks

ClayWelder

ClayWelder

Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The 1000-5 fox shocks have longer springs on the front. The shock travel length is the same for both 1000-5 and 1000-3 fox shocks. I bought 1000-3 fox shocks for the front of my 1000-5 since that was only option available at the time. I put new springs on them which I was planning to do anyway. They are a big improvement over stock shocks
AH HA!! Great info and thanks! Ok I see I misread the pic info about the shocks and springs. I get it now. Thank you for the clarification, it makes perfect sense now.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
The A-arms do not give you any body lift. They just give you more ground clearance below the arched arms......and the forward offset allows for up to 31" tires....which will give you more "lift" and ground clearance. The combo will be awesome with your shock work.

ClayWelder

ClayWelder

Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The A-arms do not give you any body lift. They just give you more ground clearance below the arched arms......and the forward offset allows for up to 31" tires....which will give you more "lift" and ground clearance. The combo will be awesome with your shock work.
Roger that.

So my revised plan is this:

A) SuperATV High Clearance A arms, with: new HD bushings, & HD Ball joints (maybe Kellars as they are greaseable and rebuildable?)

B) QS3 Fox shocks, for the P1K-5 (heavier spring rates and slightly longer springs, so it should already add some LIFT, at least in theory. I will measure and document the changes of the ride heights). After I see what the new ride height will be, I will consider adding a lift, or pre-loading the springs to add lift. More research to do lols. I think that I will run the Talon take-offs (15" rims & 28" tires) for now, and maybe later look at going up to a 30" tire

C) SuperATV HD Tie rods

D) Rhino 2.0 axles

Now time to save all my pennies lols. And I still have to finish working out the specifics to get a set of P1K-5 rear ROPS to FIT a P1K-3, with a slight mod of the rear upright tubes. It's basically a "simple" cut and off set deal to clear the wider 3 seater bed at the rear corners... and then any stock P1K-5 roof will fit, and I have cover over the bed.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Roger that.

A) SuperATV High Clearance A arms, with: new HD bushings, & HD Ball joints (maybe Kellars as they are greaseable and rebuildable?)

B) QS3 Fox shocks, for the P1K-5 (heavier spring rates and slightly longer springs, so it should already add some LIFT, at least in theory. I will measure and document the changes of the ride heights). After I see what the new ride height will be, I will consider adding a lift, or pre-loading the springs to add lift. More research to do lols. I think that I will run the Talon take-offs (15" rims & 28" tires) for now, and maybe later look at going up to a 30" tire

C) SuperATV HD Tie rods

D) Rhino 2.0 axles

Now time to save all my pennies lols. And I still have to finish working out the specifics to get a set of P1K-5 rear ROPS to FIT a P1K-3, with a slight mod of the rear upright tubes. It's basically a "simple" cut and off set deal to clear the wider 3 seater bed at the rear corners... and then any stock P1K-5 roof will fit, and I have cover over the bed.
I would recommend researching shock set up for spring sag, camber and ect.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Roger that.

C) SuperATV HD Tie rods

D) Rhino 2.0 axles

I don't think the 1000-5 shocks will add any extra lift. I could be wrong though

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I may or may not be able to contribute some with some information I put together so I will post it in case you are interested.

ClayWelder

ClayWelder

Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't think the 1000-5 shocks will add any extra lift. I could be wrong though
Probably not a lot, true. It might ride a little bit higher, just simply because the springs are stiffer. And then when I pre-load them, it will take slightly less pre-load than stock springs to get to the equivalent ride height. At least, that’s where my thinking is headed. I’m not a suspension expert, however my basic understanding is that ride height (lift) from pre-loading the springs is basically increasing the spring pressure by decreasing the distance between the upper and lower spring stop locations. So, a stiffer spring installed without pre-load will yield some small increase in lift, and smaller amounts of pre-pad should achieve the same lift as more pre-load on softer springs, until the equivalent spring pressure is reached. A stock spring might need 2” where the new stiffer spring would be maybe 1.5” or 1.75”. It will work, and I’ll figure out what I need by slug-and-plug methodology. All the advice here is great, and especially the part that the QS3 shocks for P1k-5 and -3 will both bolt up was my main concern. The -5 shocks/springs are basically a slight “upgrade” on the -3 application just by the fact that the 3 seater specs call for a slightly lighter spring. And the QS3’s are definitely an upgrade over the plain Jane stock shocks and springs. It will be interesting to see what the differences will be. But first, I have to count my pennies!! 😂 And I need to start looking at how to pre-load the springs, and how much for however much lift. As well as other lift kits, and determine just how much I want and need. I’m not needing a huge amount, just maybe 2”-4”? I don’t want to go too tall, just enough to maximize utility without seriously compromising stability. And yes, I have some wheel spacers waiting for when I need them, to help with that. I’m not overly concerned about width, the pipeline Right-of-Way is typically very wide, 100’ for three main lines so I’m sure I can fit… 😳🤔🤔🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

ClayWelder

ClayWelder

Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Shoot for about 30% sag . Too much preload gives a buckboard like ride.
Gotcha! Yeah I’m sure I will make a few adjustments before I find the right amount of pre-load, and of course there are three settings for the shocks which will help adjust the quality of the ride (firmer vs softer shock absorbing). Lots of fun!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!