P500 Should I be concerned?

4Rizeal

4Rizeal

Sep 25, 2016
Pike Road, AL
Ownership

1. 500
I just purchased a 2015 model Pioneer 500 from a local dealer left over from last year's stock. I noticed a few small minor areas where surface rust showed and the dealer sprayed a black rust proof paint over those areas. Once I got it home and got more familiar with the vehicle I noticed more surface rust on the shaft (see picture). Should I be concerned? It's under 1 year Honda warranty. Dealer said it would splash off once I introduce it to mud and wouldn't be anything to worry about. Any thoughts?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Don't be concerned, that's normal. Probably set outside on display. Weather just did its thing. Mine was like that within a week of getting it.

J

JTW

Yes.. You should be very concerned. Bring it to me and I'll properly seat the rust.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I just purchased a 2015 model Pioneer 500 from a local dealer left over from last year's stock. I noticed a few small minor areas where surface rust showed and the dealer sprayed a black rust proof paint over those areas. Once I got it home and got more familiar with the vehicle I noticed more surface rust on the shaft (see picture). Should I be concerned? It's under 1 year Honda warranty. Dealer said it would splash off once I introduce it to mud and wouldn't be anything to worry about. Any thoughts?

View attachment 22966

Welcome 4Rizeal! I saw some minor rust in my frame tubes before I put the caps on...and I keep mine in the garage.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Honda can't afford the extra .49 cents per unit to paint those areas. They figured raising the base MSRP from $8,499 to $8,500 to prevent the rust would deter people from buying them :p
Yeah.. There's about $50 worth of changes they could have made to make this thing awesome! And $200 worth of mechanical upgrades that would have made it perfect!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah.. There's about $50 worth of changes they could have made to make this thing awesome! And $200 worth of mechanical upgrades that would have made it perfect!
Maybe they will be on the illusive 2017. ;)

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Makes a person wonder if they purposely postpone the new models to try and get all the current inventory depleted. That would allow them to offer less rebates/incentives.
I would say there is a distinct possibility!!

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Surface rust
....now
in consent wet...
in 10 yrs...you'd
have a problem.
spray those few spots with
WD40....or CLR

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!