BOX1

Side angle have been able to drive without issue (rollover)?

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi All,

Curious if if you've found out just how angled you can run yours safely?

Assume slow driving with stock wheels and offset. In my case I have BFG KM3 32" tires on my X4LV.

There's an old dirt road that goes sidehill that I've walked and seems doable but for a few sections the uphill 2 tires will be a bit higher than the downhill 2. I saw a couple guys come out who did it on a 4 wheeler and they said they got a truck up it last year with patience, but don't know the type of truck.

I'd keep all the extra weight low, but wonder if anyone has experience with sidehill driving and stability?

Thanks

s

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My 2 seat Talon R came with a tilt table number of 37.3* but that's static, any dynamic, like a pebble, added along that sidehill could put you over. Sometimes I freak out at 20* and sometimes 30* feels flat. That's why I added a tilt meter, no reason to let my mind out vote physics. I don't know what the X4's number is.

I v2gT84s XL

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I also added an inclinometer app to my iPad so I could get out and measure the angle if it was really questionable. Actually, it'll work in the dash mount too.

The first one shown here. They have them for Android too.

Love the inclinometer app idea to get a general idea of sidehill angle!!

Someone just sent me this so it's at least a nice baseline to work back from when moving.

Since installing your tilt meter have you seen what angle your Talon can comfortably hold if pretty smooth trail?

IMG 5560

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Love the inclinometer app idea to get a general idea of sidehill angle!!

Someone just sent me this so it's at least a nice baseline to work back from when moving.

Since installing your tilt meter have you seen what angle your Talon can comfortably hold if pretty smooth trail?

View attachment 351624
I've seen 30* but it was pretty freaky and I was barely moving because of it. I'm usually solo, so a simple tip over isn't so simple; that makes me more conservative than guys who ride with others (someone to pull you back upright).

My windshield, top, overbed spare carrier and bed extender all depend on the stock ROPS dimensions, so I can't just buy an aftermarket roll cage if I turn over, that alone makes me very careful about tipping.

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
My 2 seat Talon R came with a tilt table number of 37.3* but that's static, any dynamic, like a pebble, added along that sidehill could put you over. Sometimes I freak out at 20* and sometimes 30* feels flat. That's why I added a tilt meter, no reason to let my mind out vote physics. I don't know what the X4's number is.

View attachment 351617
I use to have one of those on my CJ-5 back in the 70s and 80s. Put one on my dozer 3 months ago.:)

Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Until it doesn't feel right. This felt right... until it didn't...
My LR tire slipped off the largest rock closest to the center of the picture and into a hole that is deeper than it appears in the picture. That was enough to send me from 15(ish) to 45(ish) to 90 degrees.
Unfortunately I did not have a inclinometer installed but it wouldn't have helped anyways. Even at 3mph, the flop happened so quickly that I didn't have time to react or look at the gauges.
IMG 0203
IMG 0204

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My LR tire slipped off the largest rock closest to the center of the picture and into a hole that is deeper than it appears in the picture. That was enough to send me from 15(ish) to 45(ish) to 90 degrees.
Unfortunately I did not have a inclinometer installed but it wouldn't have helped anyways. Even at 3mph, the flop happened so quickly that I didn't have time to react or look at the gauges. View attachment 351685View attachment 351687
Yep, my fear. We're in a dynamic load environment where the tilt table number is almost useless; it's just a wildly varying data point.

How did you get it back up, anchor point on the left (in the top photo) and a snatch block?

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Unfortunately I did not have a inclinometer installed but it wouldn't have helped anyways. Even at 3mph, the flop happened so quickly that I didn't have time to react or look at the gauges. View attachment 351685View attachment 351687
Yeah, I actually remember your post when out there to be careful. This trail is basically an old forest or logging road so no big rocks. That said, I’ll hike it again before driving to make sure no holes.
Thx

Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Yep, my fear. We're in a dynamic load environment where the tilt table number is almost useless; it's just a wildly varying data point.

How did you get it back up, anchor point on the left (in the top photo) and a snatch block?
I was with a group of capable guys. Everyone had a winch (except me). Winched it back over by attaching to the Left A pillar and slowly pulling back and to the right (from where the picture was taken). Had an additional safety line hooked up from the machine in front of me to the A pillar to keep it from sliding backwards over the edge. From flop to driving away, the whole process took about 20 min.

Started right up. No smoke. Just some damaged plastics. The plastics mounting tabs on the frame were not even bent. However, the cage was slightly tweaked but still very drivable.
www.talonsxsforums.com/threads/i-rolled-my-1000x-4.2385/#post-14224

Last edited:
Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Yeah, I actually remember your post when out there to be careful. This trail is basically an old forest or logging road so no big rocks. That said, I’ll hike it again before driving to make sure no holes.
Thx
The trail itself is not too bad. Every difficult obstacle has a bypass. The one I flopped on was one of the easier obstacles on the trail. I just picked the wrong line...🤦‍♂️.
Them holes sneak up on you. I think someone moved it from the time my front tire went around to the time my back tire fell in.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was with a group of capable guys. Everyone had a winch (except me). Winched it back over by attaching to the Left A pillar and slowly pulling back and to the right (from where the picture was taken). Had an additional safety line hooked up from the machine in front of me to the A pillar to keep it from sliding backwards over the edge. From flop to driving away, the whole process took about 20 min.

Started right up. No smoke. Just some damaged plastics. The plastics mounting tabs on the frame were not even bent. However, the cage was slightly tweaked but still very drivable.
Thanks for the details. fwiw: if you tip on the passenger side, oil is more likely to end up in the cylinders and it may be a good idea to pull the plugs and crank it over a few times to blow out any oil.

I always appreciate a link for more reference 👍 but it doesn't work. 🤔

Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon x4
if you tip on the passenger side, oil is more likely to end up in the cylinders

I always appreciate a link for more reference 👍 but it doesn't work. 🤔
Good to know. Thanks!

I tried pasting the link as text. Still not working. Maybe hondaxsx and talonsxs are fighting. IDK. If you search "I rolled my" on the other forum, it will be the first result.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Good to know. Thanks!

I tried pasting the link as text. Still not working. Maybe hondaxsx and talonsxs are fighting. IDK. If you search "I rolled my" on the other forum, it will be the first result.
Found it, looks great. 👍

You're right, link won't work. :eek:
https://www.talonsxsforums.com/threads/i-rolled-my-1000x-4.2385/#post-14224

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

www.talonsxsforums.com/threads/i-rolled-my-1000x-4.2385/#post-14224
One thing i think i have learned in this situation is make sure things are in park or brakes set. I have seen two seperate situations where jeeps were righted and went down the hill, bad days got worse. One of them took the winching vehicle with it. Glad this worked out

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!