Silent Rider Exhaust

P

pepper1

Jul 25, 2013
I received the new exhaust from silent rider yesterday and mounted it on last night. Only took 5 to 10 minutes to put it on. I did a sound check sitting in my carport (it was pouring down rain at the time) prior to putting it on sitting in the drivers seat. On my phone I got a dB of 81 at idle and 98 rev'ed up. After the install still got 81 at idle but only 91 rev'ed up. It could be extra loud because it was in the carport. I will take it out later today and see if the $200.00 I invested is worth it. I should also let you know my Pioneer has the hard top and seems to resonate the sound in the cab a little more than without the top.

Attachments

• muffler.jpg
    muffler.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,656
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I think at idle the motor is louder then the exhaust. So having the same reading at idle sounds right to me.
Once it drys up, we would like to know the outside readings.
Thanks.

P

pepper1

Jul 25, 2013
I took it out at lunch for a quick spin. Seems only about 15% quieter at best. For some reason it seems to run smoother; not as much vibration for some reason. I will post again if it gets any better after being burnt in more. Was looking to reduce the sound a little more than this has provided. Of course anything to reduce the sound will help keep from running the deer out of the woods...

D

daberry

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 4, 2013
Kansas
Did you take any sound readings at lunch?

P

pepper1

Jul 25, 2013
Yes and it was about the same as it was in the carport. You can tell a difference but it is not a huge difference. Very quiet as you are going down a incline and the engine is not under any strain. I don't know if anyone is going to come out with anything better but I wish they had muffled the sound a little better. After all the company selling this is called "Silent Rider". Like I stated earlier, I'm certainly not sorry I bought this. Just not quite as quiet as I was expecting...

P

pepper1

Jul 25, 2013
I was thinking about something last night and figured I would ask the question to see others opinion. While in the cab, is it more engine noise we hear than exhaust noise? That would justify the reason I get the same dB reading at idle and not much with it rev'ed up. I figure we are sitting with the engine pretty much underneath us with a thin piece of plastic as a sound barrier. This would also explain why it seems louder with the hard top installed. Does this make sense? Maybe I need to do a sound test 6 feet behind it or as a drive by to see how much difference there is. If there is anyone from Silent Rider that might be able to chime in and let us know what the company test results were...

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes. We would like to know test results from outside the cab as test inside pulls in everything you said.

But. We understand that may be hard to do if you don't have a helper.
So no rush.
Thanks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!