P1000 Simple Tire Replacement

RMG

RMG

Mar 27, 2017
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I have been reading all through the forum about tires, and it seems like it can get really involved - folks wanting to add spacers, lift their rig and make other modifications.
I mainly ride on pavement, or at worst, improved dirt roads (like fire trails). I am looking for basic radials that I can swap out with my factory tires, no spacers, nothing fancy.
Can I just go to Les Schwab (or Discount tire, or wherever), give them my sizes from the tires and have them mount the new tires on the rims - just like I do when I take my commuter car down there?
Just put a set of $40 Toyo's on there </snark>.
If I just buy some Sedona Rock-a-billy's or Tusk Terrabite's of the same sizes (27 X 9 X R14 & 27 X 11 X R14), can I jut swap them out without worrying about spacers or anything else?
The plan is to have two sets of wheels, so when I want to go down to the sand duns I can swap out to paddle wheels easily - although I am sure I will need to get a little more involved for paddle wheels - but for now - just looking to replace the stock road-deafening tires.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yes, if you are looking to keep same size on there you won't have an issue. You can even go 28s without issues if it makes it easier to find the tire of your choice

Good luck, post some pics 👍

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Discount tire carries a number of UTV sizes and types, so I'm sure L. Schwab will too. WallyMart sells them, too.
I looked and couldn't find it, but I remember a great article about the pros and cons of flat or round profile tires. For pavement, I think you want flat profile - but it puts a bit more strain on the power steering. I don't know if it's enough to worry about.
There is more in this video than you need, but it seems to have good UTV tire info.

Top 10 Best UTV Tires for Pavement: Recommendations & Reviews - Tire Deets

Best.

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Maxxis Liberties, #3 in that list StewB linked. They were on it when I got it, and they've been pretty good on the roads and trails. I have to run 3-4 miles of pavement to get to the trails.

I'm planning on going with a more aggressive tire next time, but I have this lingering fear that I'm going to miss the well-behaved Liberties.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So I have been reading all through the forum about tires, and it seems like it can get really involved
Its not Involved! Just too many opinions 😂

if your riding paved/dirt or your fire trails, just get you a pair of LT AT or MT tires same size all around so u can rotate them as well. There cheaper, ware better for your application and balance better without weights out if the box. I have LT MT’s for the last 3yrs, 4k miles on them more than 1/2 the tread left on them and I uses them in many applications mostly mud and rock. Bottom line is, dont overthink it ;)

RMG

RMG

Mar 27, 2017
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I installed the Tusk Terrabite's on Tusk Cascades - they certainly do ride much quieter.
Thanks everyone for your input - and opinions!

Pioneer Tires

O

ovv

Nov 23, 2021
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks good, what size did you end up putting all around? How is the ride up to now? Thanks

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
RMG

RMG

Mar 27, 2017
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It rides quite a bit smoother - at least on hardball - almost like being in a car (kind of what I was going for)
I kept the old wheels and tires, so I can swap them out quickly if I want to go back to the originals.

I replaced them with the exact same factory sizes (although it still added a few inches to the total height.)

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It rides quite a bit smoother - at least on hardball - almost like being in a car (kind of what I was going for)
I kept the old wheels and tires, so I can swap them out quickly if I want to go back to the originals.

I replaced them with the exact same factory sizes (although it still added a few inches to the total height.)
"I replaced them with the exact same factory sizes (although it still added a few inches to the total height.)"

Now concerned about my first tire replacement. I have 1/2" clearance under my garage door, and that's after hacksawing parts off the door. I would love to put on bigger tires, but I'd have to park outside, sell the cabin, or chop the ROPS.
😞

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
"I replaced them with the exact same factory sizes (although it still added a few inches to the total height.)"

Now concerned about my first tire replacement. I have 1/2" clearance under my garage door, and that's after hacksawing parts off the door. I would love to put on bigger tires, but I'd have to park outside, sell the cabin, or chop the ROPS.
😞
Or build a bigger shed (assuming you have the resources and time)? Also I’ve heard that others air down tires to fit in enclosed trailers too (definitely seems like a PIA)

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

😞
Or..... option #4
I had to post this since it is my most favorite thread on this site

RMG

RMG

Mar 27, 2017
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update - I was finally able to get out on the trail and ride a bit on the new tires - they handled really well and worked much better than stock tires on the pavement and forest fire roads. Overall - pleased with my purchase.
New tires 1
New Tires 2

N

Nvrgiveup

Update - I was finally able to get out on the trail and ride a bit on the new tires - they handled really well and worked much better than stock tires on the pavement and forest fire roads. Overall - pleased with my purchase. View attachment 326888View attachment 326889
Thanks for the update and review. I've been going through posts using the search function and this one actually answered my question! I'm gonna replace stock tires with stock size Terrabites, except I'm gonna go to a 28" tire, since I can get a bit more clearance without using spacers or any of the other mods needed with 29"+ tires.

Alder Wood

Alder Wood

Jan 13, 2022
Alderwood Manor, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is exactly what I did, replaced the stock 27's with Terrabyte 28's. Could only get them in 28x10. The upside is that because they are all the same width, I can rotate them, which is IMO, a very good thing.

Reactions: Lady01 and Buggyman
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the update and review. I've been going through posts using the search function and this one actually answered my question! I'm gonna replace stock tires with stock size Terrabites, except I'm gonna go to a 28" tire, since I can get a bit more clearance without using spacers or any of the other mods needed with 29"+ tires.
Do you know if the jump to 28" increased the height of your machine? How much? Does anyone else know?

I've said this on other threads: I had to cut brackets and reroute the garage door to be able to pull my 2021 P1K5 inside. It now clears by about 1/2 inch under the door (stock tires and stuff). I'd like to get bigger tires but I'd also like to be able to park it inside.

Thanks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!