P1000 Single Battery Setup

501Pioneer

501Pioneer

Jul 6, 2021
Beebe, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know there are plenty running dual battery setups, but I have a couple Optimas laying around and was wondering who all has installed one under the seat as the main and only battery? No isolator or anything like that.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m thinking of doing that. I think a group 24 battery will fit, if so I’ll be waiting for Sam’s Club to have AGMs on sale.

Reactions: Smitty335
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I know there are plenty running dual battery setups, but I have a couple Optimas laying around and was wondering who all has installed one under the seat as the main and only battery? No isolator or anything like that.
What's the point of getting rid of the factory battery? Might as well grab an isolator and let it handle the starting and DCT jobs.

Beyond that, you would typically have a high CCA battery for starting and a deep cycle battery for accessories, lights, radios, etc. The jobs they do are best suited as such.

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed a blue top under the seat but left the stock battery to run the stock system. The blue top runs everything I have added and is connected by an isolator. Works well.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not the best pictures but I used this aluminum mount I found on ebay and used some u-bolts to mount to the battery tie down. Still have enough room for one ammo can with tools. 403beb624bff006bfce5ee36852ff0e2

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

501Pioneer

501Pioneer

Jul 6, 2021
Beebe, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's the point of getting rid of the factory battery? Might as well grab an isolator and let it handle the starting and DCT jobs.

Beyond that, you would typically have a high CCA battery for starting and a deep cycle battery for accessories, lights, radios, etc. The jobs they do are best suited as such.
Because then I have to drop the money to buy a dual battery kit. Why spend the money when I don’t need to?

Reactions: Lady01
advertisement
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure the under seat environment is conducive to good battery life. Neither lead acid nor LiFePO4 batteries like high heat, it can dramatically shorten battery life. Think I'd be doing some temperature testing or maybe duct in fresh air. Think I'll be keeping my "two under the hood".

"Extreme heat speeds up the chemical reaction inside a battery and causes an increase in the self-discharge and plate corrosion. This leads to sulfation which can cause irreparable damage to the battery. For each 10°F rise in temperature, the life of a sealed lead acid battery is cut in half."

501Pioneer

501Pioneer

Jul 6, 2021
Beebe, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure the under seat environment is conducive to good battery life. Neither lead acid nor LiFePO4 batteries like high heat, it can dramatically shorten battery life. Think I'd be doing some temperature testing or maybe duct in fresh air. Think I'll be keeping my "two under the hood".

"Extreme heat speeds up the chemical reaction inside a battery and causes an increase in the self-discharge and plate corrosion. This leads to sulfation which can cause irreparable damage to the battery. For each 10°F rise in temperature, the life of a sealed lead acid battery is cut in half."
The engine compartment of a truck is pretty dang hot…

Reactions: Cely1932 and Lady01
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The engine compartment of a truck is pretty dang hot…

Sitting there, yes, but when moving you might be surprised, as there's a lot of airflow at speed to keep average temperatures down in road vehicles. This is probably not the case with the sxs, as the direct air flow to the engine and under-seat area is blocked. That, and speeds are on average much lower than road vehicles to further reduce air cooling. I haven't measured or compared these temperatures , but I think it would be wise to do so if one is concerned about battery life . . . especially if considering only going with one battery under the seat.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Because then I have to drop the money to buy a dual battery kit. Why spend the money when I don’t need to?
The cost isn't that much, really. And the benefits far outweigh the minimal cost.

Reactions: Lady01 and bumperm
501Pioneer

501Pioneer

Jul 6, 2021
Beebe, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The cost isn't that much, really. And the benefits far outweigh the minimal cost.
I have 2 free Optimas, and can pretty much get them whenever I need them. Nothing that I will be running is going to drain it down, so I am not going to run the tiny lawn mower battery.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I have 2 free Optimas, and can pretty much get them whenever I need them. Nothing that I will be running is going to drain it down, so I am not going to run the tiny lawn mower battery.
That's wonderful.

501Pioneer

501Pioneer

Jul 6, 2021
Beebe, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sitting there, yes, but when moving you might be surprised, as there's a lot of airflow at speed to keep average temperatures down in road vehicles. This is probably not the case with the sxs, as the direct air flow to the engine and under-seat area is blocked. That, and speeds are on average much lower than road vehicles to further reduce air cooling. I haven't measured or compared these temperatures , but I think it would be wise to do so if one is concerned about battery life . . . especially if considering only going with one battery under the seat.
True, but I haven't heard of anyone complaining about it yet with them being under there. Not to mention, these are free batteries to me.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!