Ownership

1. 1000-5
Problem no mechanic has solved- hopefully someone has some idea:

- Track and skis on my 2018 1K.
- Strapped front wheels into skis.
- Obviously only 2 wheel drive
- Won't shift out of first.
- Check engine light comes on.
- Works normal again as soon as front wheels are free.

Thoughts?

Reactions: ChadD and NTCPrezJB
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Problem no mechanic has solved- hopefully someone has some idea:

- Track and skis on my 2018 1K.
- Strapped front wheels into skis.
- Obviously only 2 wheel drive
- Won't shift out of first.
- Check engine light comes on.
- Works normal again as soon as front wheels are free.

Thoughts?
LE with i4wd or base/deluxe with diff lock?
I hate to ask but you do have the machine in 2WD, right?

I’m mostly wondering if it’s an LE and the i4wd is trying to save the machine because the front wheels aren’t spinning.

Reactions: ChadD
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

I’m mostly wondering if it’s an LE and the i4wd is trying to save the machine because the front wheels aren’t spinning.
It’s my limited understanding that the computer HAS TO see the fronts turning at the same speed as the rears on i4wd. Even putting one 30” tire on as a spare while running 32’s will freak it out just because of the different front wheel speeds.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s my limited understanding that the computer HAS TO see the fronts turning at the same speed as the rears on i4wd. Even putting one 30” tire on as a spare while running 32’s will freak it out just because of the different front wheel speeds.
That’s what I was thinking as well

Reactions: ChadD and CID
R

Rankin

Feb 19, 2019
Nunavut
Ownership

1. 1000-5

yes 2 wheel drive. It limps around the yard. base model and double checked- I can't see the i4wd sensor plugs as shown in the shop manual.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yes 2 wheel drive. It limps around the yard. base model and double checked- I can't see the i4wd sensor plugs as shown in the shop manual.
So your dash selector has turf/4wd/lock then?

Any lights on the display when it goes into limp mode on you (series of flashing lights)?

Does the display show 1 for the gear indicator or does it change to a dash?

Reactions: ChadD
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yes- turf 4wd & lock.
just the check engine slow flash
changes to a dash.
Record the flashing sequence of your display. Upload the video to YouTube and then post a link here. It is usually a pattern to the flashing that can be checked against the shop manual and it will point to the problem.

R

Rankin

Feb 19, 2019
Nunavut
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Based on the manual, 67-1 refers to no signal to front VSS. No wheel turn=no signal=limp mode. As suspected.

Is this it?

Is it possible to unplug or bypass the front VSS?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can't figure out youtube posting- but it flashes 6 slow and 7 fast

Based on the manual, 67-1 refers to no signal to front VSS. No wheel turn=no signal=limp mode. As suspected.

Is this it?

Is it possible to unplug or bypass the front VSS?

That should help someone get you to more potential solutions. I don’t know unfortunately. @HondaTech will probably have some insight for you if he sees the post so I tagged him for you.

H

HondaTech

If your front wheels aren't moving then the diff sensor sees them locked up and won't allow the machine to operate.

Code 67 is Frt VSS no signal. It assumes the sensor is dead since it isn't seeing the ring gear spin.

You cant run skis that lock the front wheels.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your front wheels aren't moving then the diff sensor sees them locked up and won't allow the machine to operate.

Code 67 is Frt VSS no signal. It assumes the sensor is dead since it isn't seeing the ring gear spin.

You cant run skis that lock the front wheels.
Could he pull the front axles and put it in 4wd to spin the front diff? Obviously he’d have to build plugs for the shafts but in theory could it work?

Adding front tracks would be a solution as well of course.

H

HondaTech

Could he pull the front axles and put it in 4wd to spin the front diff? Obviously he’d have to build plugs for the shafts but in theory could it work?

Adding front tracks would be a solution as well of course.

It might not still be happy. Plugging the diff would be too risky, if they popped out and gro debris or lost fluid you'd probably damaged something.

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
R

Rankin

Feb 19, 2019
Nunavut
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for everyones time- especially on a weekend. I see my venture to try the skis probably won’t be possible- fortunately I can resort to my front tracks.

I will pose this dilemma and discussion back to the manufacturer as they were adamant they have never seen any issues, and they been around a decade.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Rankin I Agree with @toddvdh we need pics of this rig! You've been on since 19’ and cant find any pics of your rig. Its Rule #4 and we've helped you out. Now do us a solid and post up some pics!
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

R

Rankin

Feb 19, 2019
Nunavut
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 20210501 WA0010

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!