BOX1

Skid plate after windrock

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
So now that everyone is back from wind rock and has assessed the damage, I want to know who makes the best skid plate. I need one for my P5 that can withstand the abuse.
I figured with that many Hondas out there, all the skid plate manufacturers would be represented.
Let me know what you recommend.

RunningBear

RunningBear

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dove deep into researching the three available UHMW skid plates when I returned from Windrock this weekend. I had a UHMW skid on my RZR, and it was fantastic. The three Pioneer 700 UHMW offerings I know of are Red Mountain Products (RMP), SSS, and Trail Armor. I'm not sure about the Pioneer 500.

My plan was to get the "best" one, regardless of price. I came to the conclusion (IMHO) that the Red Mountain Products skid plate is the best designed of the three, should be the most durable, and should offer the best overall protection.

Some of the things I liked best about the RMP skid include:

1. On the RMP skid, I like the way the main center skid is joined to the next section under the engine. RMP includes an aluminum bar that runs the entire width of the "finger joint" they use. This adds extra strength and avoids the thinner "lap joint" the others use. This also avoids the "half holes" used by the others, where a single bolt and washer holds the edges of both pieces.

2. The RMP skid "side wings" are solid pieces. One of the others (SSS I think) has a seam in this section, which I think would be weaker given the lack of bracing under this part. It's best if seams are on a frame/structural member.

3. The RMP skid angles up and covers the lower bumper skid in the very front. The SSS also does this, but the Trail Armor model does not. I like the fact that this section is covered on the RMP and SSS, since I sustained some damage in this area.

4. All models are designed with recessed bolts & washers so that nothing protrudes above the surface of the skid. The RMP skid includes the needed high-grade hardware.

5. The RMP drain holes are well placed and thought out.

6. The RMP skid plate is designed so that the front edge is close enough to the front tire that if you go over a large rock, you'll land on the skid plate and slide over it with less chance of getting "hung up".

7. The Trail Armor skid is slightly thicker than the other two (1/2" vs 3/8"), but I don't believe this is a significant factor given the ample structure of the bottom of the Pioneer. I also think any advantage this might entail is more than offset by the less ideal way the two skid sections are joined (#1 above).

8. The RMP protrudes beyond the outer bar that runs under the doors of the Pioneer far enough to protect them from side-swiping rocks and other obstacles. I sustained damage on these bars this weekend and I believe this skid plate would have prevented it.

9. I actually examined an RMP skid after this weekend's ride, and it held up amazingly well. I couldn't find any damage.

So, I ordered the RMP skid this week and look forward to receiving and installing it! The fact that it's priced lower than the others is a nice bonus!! I guess I could make this #10 and have a nice "top 10" list! :)

At the end of the day, I think all three of these products are probably excellent. However, I thought I'd share my thought / decision process in case it helps.

Good luck!

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
red mountain is the best

GBOUT

GBOUT

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2015
Mid TN
While Trail Armor is the only choice I had for my Big Red in UHMW, I will say I could not be happier. It took some pretty good licks at Windrock and performed flawlessly. Also their customer service is great. IMO you can't go wrong with UHMW.............

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!