P1000 Slight Tire Rubbing Question

HondaMarc

HondaMarc

Oct 17, 2022
Dallas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 1000-5 LE stock. I want to stay as stock as possible. I'm not a stunt rider and take it easy on my equipment. I really don't want to add new A-Arrns. I want to keep the geometry as close to the specs that the Honda design engineers came up with. Fox QS3 shocks.

I have 28x10-14 tires, 3/4" deep lugs. Had zero rub with my 10mm offset wheels.

I added MudBuster fender flares. After that, ONLY if I go into or out of a deep ditch, like a 60+ degree incline/decline, ONLY with the wheels turned, I get a little rub in the front.

If I keep the wheels straight, I don't fell or hear anything.

Has anyone else experienced this?

1-Is there a simple thing to gain a fraction of height, like preloading the shocks, without ruining the ride that I'm very happy with the Fox QS3 ride right now.
2-Would it be better to just avoid the situation that causes thew problem?
Thanks

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a 1000-5 LE stock. I want to stay as stock as possible. I'm not a stunt rider and take it easy on my equipment. I really don't want to add new A-Arrns. I want to keep the geometry as close to the specs that the Honda design engineers came up with. Fox QS3 shocks.

I added MudBuster fender flares. After that, ONLY if I go into or out of a deep ditch, like a 60+ degree incline/decline, ONLY with the wheels turned, I get a little rub in the front.

1-Is there a simple thing to gain a fraction of height, like preloading the shocks, without ruining the ride that I'm very happy with the Fox QS3 ride right now.
Thanks
Wait wait wait HOLD THE PRESS!!
You said u wanted to keep this as close to stock as possible! But u put new tires and offset wheels 🤔 kinda anoxymoron wouldn't u say? 🤣

Well since YOU ADDED all that lol u have to add pre load to the shocks to make the difference and not by a fraction either.
( how too's are found in the search up top)
You will have to do a little then do some more to get it to ur liking but WARNING.... this will change your "stock" machine.

Also, welcome from newly commy run Michigan
We need pics of your ride, these guys get mad when u post and never post pics, kind of an unwritten forum rule you know... Pics Or It Didn't Happen!

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV

Thanks
Just adjust your front preload and see if it solves your problem. Doesn't sound like you'll need to add much, so you shouldn't notice any negative impact to your current ride quality.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Lite rubbing under specific situations wouldn't bother me. Depending on the tire and where it's hitting, I 'might' take an angle grinder after a square cornered tire to ease the rubbing if it was bad enough. You can also heat the body plastic and dimple it for a bit of clearance.

And what Adam said - adding 'some' preload can help too, again depending on how much interference you're dealing with.

HondaMarc

HondaMarc

Oct 17, 2022
Dallas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update. My friend who is a great mechanic adjusted the preload and tried to keep the machine level, so it wouldn't look like trucks to see where someone tried to do a homemade lift kit and it looks like the truck is either driving uphill on level ground, or they have 14 tons of lead in the bed.

It is not rubbing and the ride quality doesn't appear to have suffered at all.

In very happy with the problem being resolved, the appearance, and the ride quality.

Thank you to everyone who replied and assisted with suggestions.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Update. My friend who is a great mechanic adjusted the preload and tried to keep the machine level, so it wouldn't look like trucks to see where someone tried to do a homemade lift kit and it looks like the truck is either driving uphill on level ground, or they have 14 tons of lead in the bed.

It is not rubbing and the ride quality doesn't appear to have suffered at all.

In very happy with the problem being resolved, the appearance, and the ride quality.

Thank you to everyone who replied and assisted with suggestions.
Your welcome thats what were here for! But you still havent posted pics! 🤨 🤣 We did u a solid so how bout giving one back (NoHomo)
Just messin with ya. But we still need some pics

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We need to get you an official Honda S X S ticket book!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!