GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@HondaTech Any tips on cleaning out a bad gas Honda generator carb. The simplest approach is the best for me. It’ll sputter with the choke on, but won’t continue to run.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@HondaTech Any tips on cleaning out a bad gas Honda generator carb. The simplest approach is the best for me. It’ll sputter with the choke on, but won’t continue to run.
Your main jet (#24) and or enrichment tube (#14) is probably plugged......this may or may not be the carb you have, just a generic Honda gen carb schematic
Honda gx240 carburetor diagram 3

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Those are finicky
It should have a pilot jet on top, it's plastic and the hole underneath needs cleaned as well.
Will it run with eco throttle off with no choke?
So it’s currently running with choke on and eco throttle off. When I try to take the choke off it dies. I do have some sea foam in the gas now…let it run like this and see if it will clear it up?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
So it’s currently running with choke on and eco throttle off. When I try to take the choke off it dies. I do have some sea foam in the gas now…let it run like this and see if it will clear it up?
The choke has its own fuel circuit and it's running on that fuel. If the idle circuit is plugged (common with ethanol but not impossible with E-0), turning the choke off shuts off that fuel supply and it dies. Common in carbed, dual sport motorcycles. The idle jet has a really small orifice and plugs easily. Your mission, should you accept it, is to find, and clean, that jet. :cool:

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The choke has its own fuel circuit and it's running on that fuel. If the idle circuit is plugged (common with ethanol but not impossible with E-0), turning the choke off shuts off that fuel supply and it dies. Common in carbed, dual sport motorcycles. The idle jet has a really small orifice and plugs easily. Your mission, should you accept it, is to find, and clean, that jet. :cool:
Makes complete sense. If I knew where to look I bet I could find it!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Makes complete sense. If I knew where to look I bet I could find it!
There are like 4 parts in the carb, the jets are easy enough to identify. Remove them (or it) and make sure you can see through it. I soaked my pilot jets (smallest) in Seafoam overnight, it seemed to work pretty well. Some guys use welding tip cleaners but those will scratch the surfaces and alter fuel flow and can cause running problems. Squirt carb cleaner thru every hole and opening you can find, make sure it comes out 'somewhere'.

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There are like 4 parts in the carb, the jets are easy enough to identify. Remove them (or it) and make sure you can see through it. I soaked my pilot jets (smallest) in Seafoam overnight, it seemed to work pretty well. Some guys use welding tip cleaners but those will scratch the surfaces and alter fuel flow and can cause running problems. Squirt carb cleaner thru every hole and opening you can find, make sure it comes out 'somewhere'.
I think I can handle that.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!