P500 Snorkel question!

M

mwsmith818

Jan 30, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I’m working on re-doing my p500’s snorkel (was leaking somewhere) and I was wondering if you guys thought it would be a good idea to silicone around where the intake boot on the bottom side of the air box goes around the throttle body?? I did last night and I’m kind of thinking twice on it.. if they make a good seal without the rtv I may rip it off. Thanks!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m working on re-doing my p500’s snorkel (was leaking somewhere) and I was wondering if you guys thought it would be a good idea to silicone around where the intake boot on the bottom side of the air box goes around the throttle body?? I did last night and I’m kind of thinking twice on it.. if they make a good seal without the rtv I may rip it off. Thanks!
I wouldn't bother to undo it at this point.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Anything in air system that gets caulk you should use urethane like Sikaflex. Rtv not good for flexi stuff in the long run. Yes, seal air box hoses inside snd out IMHO.
WB

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
M

mwsmith818

Jan 30, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I wouldn't bother to undo it at this point.
I’m really not wanting too, but I overthink too much and cent help but think about a piece of that silicone somehow breaking off and getting sucked into the throttle body or head🙄😂 likely or no?

Reactions: lee
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
but I overthink too much and cent help but think about a piece of that silicone somehow breaking off and getting sucked into the throttle body
The air filter/throttle body/intake tube structure is the same for bikes/dirt bikes from the dawn of time. It’s one of those “if it’s not broke don’t fix it” kind of things. Not sure how bad a glob of sealer would be in the engine but if you ever have to open the system make sure it is cleaned off so you don’t get a air leak and let in half the dust in the world.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not sure what size pipe your running but hondas biggest weakness is almost always the the lid. Smaller pipe puts more suction on box. Aka lid flexes breaks seal. I had a small leak on my 700 and i couldnt find it so i put my go pro in the airbox with a light and found out it was the lid. Not sure if you have the means of doing something like that. But i recommend anyone running a snorkel. Really gives you a peice of mind

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bastardchild
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Not sure what size pipe your running but hondas biggest weakness is almost always the the lid. Smaller pipe puts more suction on box. Aka lid flexes breaks seal. I had a small leak on my 700 and i couldnt find it so i put my go pro in the airbox with a light and found out it was the lid. Not sure if you have the means of doing something like that. But i recommend anyone running a snorkel. Really gives you a peice of mind

I pull the rubber ring out of my airbox lid, run a bead of silicon in the groove that the rubber seal came out of, push the rubber seal back in the groove, then silicon over top of the rubber ring. Install the lid and let it sit for awhile before starting. The next time you go to change your air filter the lid takes some serious prying to get it off. Also, its a little time consuming peeling the dried rubbery silicon off of the rubber oring, but I think its worth it to have peace of mind when in deep water. Also, the other rubber pieces that push into the airbox I remove, put silicon around them, then reinstall into airbox. I know people that dont though and have no problem. Just my 2 cents.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I pull the rubber ring out of my airbox lid, run a bead of silicon in the groove that the rubber seal came out of, push the rubber seal back in the groove, then silicon over top of the rubber ring. Install the lid and let it sit for awhile before starting. The next time you go to change your air filter the lid takes some serious prying to get it off. Also, its a little time consuming peeling the dried rubbery silicon off of the rubber oring, but I think its worth it to have peace of mind when in deep water. Also, the other rubber pieces that push into the airbox I remove, put silicon around them, then reinstall into airbox. I know people that dont though and have no problem. Just my 2 cents.
I made some proto putty. As a thicker seal. Basically homemade gasket reuseable

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Actually trying to look into something different for my dads airbox. The big red lid is super flimsy. Going to try and brace it on the inside with a plastic welder.

Reactions: Bastardchild

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!