Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm tired of making everyone wonder if I have gone anti Honda, I really like our P1-5, but I have spent a lot of money that I hope my wife never finds out about, to make it clipy fast on trails and still need to add a fan for the heat issue. The new Yamaha's, Textron's have been listening to the market and Polaris and Honda are living off reputation. And getting smoked. On the Tex. Wild Cat XX you will see a big air cleaner behind the seat shoulder high , I asked what it was? Its the pre filter for the air filter and the the cooling system for the belt drive, and wow it not an electric fan, it's a fan bolted to the transmission shaft, that's pretty smart! I really hope the Talon isn't a dud! And to directly answer your question, time will tell on the other brands 500's / 700's equals on reliability. I think they have got it figured out. I have always been a Honda fan, but I think the Millennials have taken over management at Honda. Have you went and looked at Yamaha or a Textron? It will blow you away, go look at both in person and get back to me, think you will see what I'm talking about?
That’s it Smitty.........you’re fired. :D

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks @Smitty335 but that really doesn’t answer the question. Isn’t the P700 as Bulletproof as the P500? If we are talking reliability wouldn’t the P700 be more reliable than a machine dependent on a v-belt? Don’t get me wrong I like Yamaha, just curious as to the why behind the decision. @PistonHonda
Yamaha has the best belt cvt out there, bar none, a complete non issue.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm tired of making everyone wonder if I have gone anti Honda, I really like our P1-5, but I have spent a lot of money that I hope my wife never finds out about, to make it clipy fast on trails and still need to add a fan for the heat issue. The new Yamaha's, Textron's have been listening to the market and Polaris and Honda are living off reputation. And getting smoked. On the Tex. Wild Cat XX you will see a big air cleaner behind the seat shoulder high , I asked what it was? Its the pre filter for the air filter and the the cooling system for the belt drive, and wow it not an electric fan, it's a fan bolted to the transmission shaft, that's pretty smart! I really hope the Talon isn't a dud! And to directly answer your question, time will tell on the other brands 500's / 700's equals on reliability. I think they have got it figured out. I have always been a Honda fan, but I think the Millennials have taken over management at Honda. Have you went and looked at Yamaha or a Textron? It will blow you away, go look at both in person and get back to me, think you will see what I'm talking about?
No, I haven’t had an opportunity to test drive the new Yamaha and before your reviews have never heard of Textron. But I will sure make an effort to do so! I have about 3700 miles on my P1K5 and I am very happy and for those who have ridden with me know I run hard! We all know about the problems and fixes our club members have addressed so far and... I have to say I absolutely love the BEAST! But It’s exciting to see Yamaha’s innovation and design and other manufacturers paying attention to the SXS market. Can’t wait to see what the Talon has to offer and if Honda is paying attention to what is seen as desireable by all of us fanatics:cool:

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No, I haven’t had an opportunity to test drive the new Yamaha and before your reviews have never heard of Textron. But I will sure make an effort to do so! I have about 3700 miles on my P1K5 and I am very happy and for those who have ridden with me know I run hard! We all know about the problems and fixes our club members have addressed so far and... I have to say I absolutely love the BEAST! But It’s exciting to see Yamaha’s innovation and design and other manufacturers paying attention to the SXS market. Can’t wait to see what the Talon has to offer and if Honda is paying attention to what is seen as desireable by all of us fanatics:cool:
Textron bought Arctic Cat. I've got a good friend of mine that I've known since 1976 that manages a KTM, Yamaha, Suzuki and Textron dealer ship, was talking to him about the significant improvements to the Textron line, the Arctic Cats have been a S x S with suspension but not to tough. He said after the buy out all the old engineers were wondering whats next, they quickly found out. Textron exc's had a meeting with them and asked if they had any improvement planed for the line up, they just started handing them tons of design work at the meeting, the exc's asked why none of this hadn't already been done after a study of the design improvements, answer was no money for R&D. Textron exc's said know you do now, get busy. And it shows. Textron is a big company with deep pockets. And is going to be good for the other lines sitting on there laurels.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The X2 is really nice. It could almost be called a Yamaha equivalent of the 700 Pioneer-2 except that it cures issues like no low range. I took a quick peek at one a few weeks ago, and as i told @PistonHonda at another forum, the only thing i don't like is that the bed appears to be no bigger than the old model, and there's no reason it couldn't have been a few inches longer.

It's significantly more $$$ than the Pioneer (in real world pricing), but its also almost 2x as powerful.

Fan type castings aren't anything new for CVT's, but there certainly has been some push for increased cooling as the power grows. Not to mention electronic protections/nannies.

Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's all you needed to say right there.
Textron is a 14.2 Billion company with 35,000 employees. Polaris, Honda and the other lines, better hope they don't decide to get into motor cycles, HA!

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Textron is a 14.2 Billion company with 35,000 employees. Polaris, Honda and the other lines, better hope they don't decide to get into motor cycles, HA!
I don't know that any sane company would get into motorcycles right now. Sales are said to be way down thanks to millenials. Starbucks sipping fagmen don't ride motorcycles.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Wow that's a lot of $, wonder what Honda is worth and how many employees they have.

But more to the point, the Textron vehicles are just a little strange with odd design choices and the A/C stuff they purchased is a little crude and has reliability issues.
It's kind of a lose lose.
But who knows, maybe they will get there act together one day, after all Textron used to own Polaris.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Wow that's a lot of $, wonder what Honda is worth and how many employees they have.

But more to the point, the Textron vehicles are just a little strange with odd design choices and the A/C stuff they purchased is a little crude and has reliability issues.
But who knows, maybe they will get there act together one day, after all Textron used to own Polaris.
I speak fluent sarcasm....

I think you said
a) Big f***ing whoop!
b) Don't hold your breath

advertisement
D

Deleted member 3748

Polaris and Arctic Cat were founded by the same person.

Reactions: BWAF
D

Deleted member 3748

The X2 is really nice. It could almost be called a Yamaha equivalent of the 700 Pioneer-2 except that it cures issues like no low range. I took a quick peek at one a few weeks ago, and as i told @PistonHonda at another forum, the only thing i don't like is that the bed appears to be no bigger than the old model, and there's no reason it couldn't have been a few inches longer.

It's significantly more $$$ than the Pioneer (in real world pricing), but its also almost 2x as powerful.

Fan type castings aren't anything new for CVT's, but there certainly has been some push for increased cooling as the power grows. Not to mention electronic protections/nannies.
That was you?!?! You think I would have known that since it's the same name! :D

BTW - The X2 and the 700 aren't even in the same ballpark. Comparison to the 1000 LE is fair because you get the Fox shocks. The hp is 69 Yamaha and 72 Honda and the Yamaha is an 850 cc. Now subtract $5000 and you have the Yamaha.

Reactions: DG Rider and BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Yo is right, haven't found out why they sold Polaris???

It will come around. I really like the windshield on the Havoc, dosen't hang down to far to keep you from hanging a light underneath. And I'm starting to see windshields for them. I've got $ 22,000 in my Honda, just like the Havoc comes stock at $ 17,000

D

Deleted member 3748

Textron bought Arctic Cat. I've got a good friend of mine that I've known since 1976 that manages a KTM, Yamaha, Suzuki and Textron dealer ship, was talking to him about the significant improvements to the Textron line, the Arctic Cats have been a S x S with suspension but not to tough. He said after the buy out all the old engineers were wondering whats next, they quickly found out. Textron exc's had a meeting with them and asked if they had any improvement planed for the line up, they just started handing them tons of design work at the meeting, the exc's asked why none of this hadn't already been done after a study of the design improvements, answer was no money for R&D. Textron exc's said know you do now, get busy. And it shows. Textron is a big company with deep pockets. And is going to be good for the other lines sitting on there laurels.
I think Textron will be a player in the SxS market. The XX is a solid machine and they're using Yamaha engines. They could use some marketing though.

Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That was you?!?! You think I would have known that since it's the same name! :D

BTW - The X2 and the 700 aren't even in the same ballpark. Comparison to the 1000 LE is fair because you get the Fox shocks. The hp is 69 Yamaha and 72 Honda and the Yamaha is an 850 cc. Now subtract $5000 and you have the Yamaha.
OK I think enough is enough, Drive a DAM Yamaha if you want!:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks @Smitty335 but that really doesn’t answer the question. Isn’t the P700 as Bulletproof as the P500? If we are talking reliability wouldn’t the P700 be more reliable than a machine dependent on a v-belt? Don’t get me wrong I like Yamaha, just curious as to the why behind the decision. @PistonHonda
Yes the 700 is as bulletproof as the 500 but really not comparable to the Wolverine. While they are both sport utility utvs, the Wolverine is really more geared towards trail riding with no mods needed and the P700 is a far superior work machine (that can be outfitted to be trail worthy for a price). Honda is really missing out on this segment of the market which sucks!

Also if everyone made cvt’s like Yamaha does they wouldn’t have a bad reputation

advertisement