Solved poor heater performance. Because of My screw up

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
As you've heard me mention that my heater wasn't putting out enough heat and I had thought of installing a hotter thermostat. Well today I solved my heat out put comming from my heater. My heater is a modified heater from my Ranger that I made fit into my Pioneer. I did all the changes to the heater on the bench and then installed it in the Pioneer. once I had it installed in the Pioneer I didn't like how low the heater motor sat so I just reversed it so that the motor was further away from the floor. All the bolts etc: lined up so it was easy to do. Now that was my problem what I didn't know is that by turning the motor around and mounting it the other way,what happened was that I closed off 1/2 the air flow from the motor blowing through the heater core. Today I pulled the blower motor off because I could smell antifreeze [hose clamps needed tightening] when I pulled the blower down I saw that only half of the blower opening was actually blowing air into the heater. I trimmed 1/2" of plastic off the blower itself [ didn't take pics of the plastic] and cut about 1/2" of the tin of the heater.So I opened up the air flow by 1 " . Put it all back together and drove it outside and let it idle while I got dressed. When I opened the door of the Pioneer I could feel heat already. I drove it around and let me tell you doing this has made my heater cook me out of the cab.

Attachments

• heater problems 004 (Small).jpg
    heater problems 004 (Small).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 350
  • heater problems 002 (Small).jpg
    heater problems 002 (Small).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 362