• Start date
rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I have been debating on canceling the extra front tire I have on backorder from Dennis Kirk or keeping it as a spare (27x9x12 HTR, backs are 27x11). If I decide to keep it, I would like to call Revolution Offroad and have them add a 5th rim to my order.

I see a bunch of guys roll with spares, but how much do you use them and/or need them? The HTRs are 8 ply and I can't see myself getting in a situation where one of them would go out? I plan on having a patch kit or slug for getting back to the truck/cabin if it does happen.

Just debating on if/how often I would really need a spare and then debating on where I would mount it.

Thanks for any advice/ideas

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Been carrying one for yrs and have never used it. Expense of the tire, extra ITP wheel, weight that it adds, weight of the carrier I built, it's a lot of sh** for just in case. Also carry plugs, Slime and compressor, have never used those on the P5 either. Don't know if it's worth carrying or not, won't leave any of it at home though. 🤷‍♂️

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been debating on canceling the extra front tire I have on backorder from Dennis Kirk or keeping it as a spare (27x9x12 HTR, backs are 27x11). If I decide to keep it, I would like to call Revolution Offroad and have them add a 5th rim to my order.

I see a bunch of guys roll with spares, but how much do you use them and/or need them? The HTRs are 8 ply and I can't see myself getting in a situation where one of them would go out? I plan on having a patch kit or slug for getting back to the truck/cabin if it does happen.

Just debating on if/how often I would really need a spare and then debating on where I would mount it.

Riding with more than one machine....I leave the spare at the truck. Riding solo I take it with me. I haven’t used it trailside but certainly it happens. I bent a steelie at TO pretty good. Solo I would have swapped it but with the group it got beat back into shape and then air added. Still holding air three or so days later.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Also, have to consider the area you ride and the distance back.
Sometimes we are 40+ miles through rough trails with zero cell service.
I carry a spare about 25% of my trips.
When organizing large groups I usually try to make sure at least 1 person has a spare.
We sometimes carry a tube and sidewall slugs have saved our butts more than once.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I ride with @Hondasxs he has all sorts of stuff, compressor, plugs, slug and a CO2 bottle (for when you de-bead a tire).
Saves a lot of investment.
Haha, actually I carry stuff to fix a tire but not a spare.
One day I'm going to ride out on a flat and destroy a wheel but I stick to the stock wheels.
There seams to be a decent supply of take off stock wheels out there.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Typically I ride alone in remote areas no cell service. Carry plugs and compressor and usually change tires out at 40-50% gone. Been lucky so far only ever holed a side wall rubber necking over a bank hunting rather then watch where I was going. Rode it back flat, repaired at a shop good to go. Will say I watch where my wheels are now... was a good lesson to pay attention.

Never really felt the need for a spare, mind you we have limited thorn bushes here and any cactus is very small and won’t puncture a tire. Lotsa sharp rock just gotta pay attention.

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Do you carry a spare for your trailer and your truck? When we are on a trip with others the load of gear can stay at camp. But when we are alone the a box of must haves is with us. Zip ties tools plugs duct tape air pump come along
Having a spare even just back at the truck will get your 10,000 dollar ride back to the truck. It may be a long day. If you are 50 miles out and shred up a tire where you can't even drive on the rim will a tire shop another 75 miles away even have a tire that will fit your rim? With our luck no!

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Do you carry a spare for your trailer and your truck? When we are on a trip with others the load of gear can stay at camp. But when we are alone the a box of must haves is with us. Zip ties tools plugs duct tape air pump come along
Having a spare even just back at the truck will get your 10,000 dollar ride back to the truck. It may be a long day. If you are 50 miles out and shred up a tire where you can't even drive on the rim will a tire shop another 75 miles away even have a tire that will fit your rim? With our luck no!

Yes, but my trailer is 16' x 7', my P520 isn't, but tires are about the same size!

Between the winch, cable, & snatch block, I don't see how one could not somehow managed to get back on a rim if ABSOLUTELY necessary 99.9% of the time. I've had flat/low tires many times & never noticed until I got back to the trailer.

Where do you draw the line? Spare motor? Spare battery? Spare starter? Spare fuel pump? Spare radiator?

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
It Seams reasonable to draw the "line" one side or the other of the spare tire.
I grew up in a place where Dad carried 2 spares on the Land Rover due to remotness of the place.
It could be weeks till another vehicle went by out in the bush.

For where I ride in the mid west or south a spare tire is not a matter of life or death.
More like convenience to get back to camp in a timely manner.

It I where riding out west by myself I would consider a spare.
A forced overnite on top of a mountain in Colarado might be cold, or stretching your water in Arizona not so fun.

Biteme

Biteme

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2020
North West New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ordered a rim and tire off ebay, carried as a spare for 3 years, also carry compressor and plugs, lucky I never had to use the spare cause my son pointed out to me one day that the hole pattern on the spare was to small to fit my ride. Just took the word of the individual that the rim would fit my Honda and never checked. Long story short, I no longer carry a spare and have not been in a situation the plugs and compressor could not get me going again.

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
I can see a spare, maybe two, in a full sized vehicle. Where you ride would play a huge factor too. Having on "with" you, back at the truck makes sense, but "on" you would just make a nimble machine bulky or leave you with no room and ice chest or other recreational items to me.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

To your question, is a spare needed....NO
I have 30K miles on 5 SXS’s and have never needed one. In fact, I’ve never had to pull out plugs or the slug for a flat on my own, but have for others. Run good 8-10 ply tires and forget the expense, the weight and the obstruction of view, awkwardness and unsightly in your way spare wheel and tire...

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I carry a spare, but I don't carry plugs and a compressor with me. I like the piece of mind it gives me, especially being out west and during hunting season. I have a good mount for mine that isn't in the way.

That said, on all of my previous ATVs that I used before, I never had a spare. Just tow ropes and a can of fix-a-flat. Luckily never had to use either of those as well.

I'd rather have it so I didn't have to end my trip early or to get me back from a long ways back from deep in the mountains.

It really depends on riding style, location/terrain, and if you're alone or not. IMO.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That said, on all of my previous ATVs that I used before, I never had a spare. Just tow ropes and a can of fix-a-flat. Luckily never had to use either of those as well.
YEP.......

Reactions: Biteme
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I don’t carry a spare but I do carry tools for a repair. I have not repaired my own tire in an atv or sxs in 20 years but I fix a few from time to time for others. I have also driven home a few times on a flat with no problems. One reason I like bias tires over radials is the extra thick side walls.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have probably driven over 10 years and never changed a tire on ever on any trailer, vehicle, or utv I’ve owned.

BUT the time I needed it, I was dang glad to have one along with a good jack and a dewalt impact gun. Not many tire shops open on a Sunday afternoon in the sticks.

I’d rather have it and not need it, vs needing it and not having it. I carry plugs, pump and spare tire on all my vehicles at a minimum.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
side wall cuts need a spare.
I’ve seen several sidewall cuts repaired with the Slug* and repaired one myself for another guy….costs $25.00, weighs a few ounces takes up less space in the dry box than a deck of cards….😎
B2171C4F 8F62 4B0A A4F7 53744E004A90
39DB415B E112 4A74 9D6F 1336682C4D64

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!