BOX1 - TEST

P700 Spare Tire Mounted to Front

DesertRat

DesertRat

Jun 12, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Has anyone mounted a spare wheel on the front of a 700? I've been contemplating trying to get it out of the cargo area to free up storage and don't really want the extra weight on the rear. The 700 seems a little light on the front when fully loaded and I was thinking it could use a little weight up front anyway. Any known pitfalls putting a spare bracket on the front bumper?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
The nice part about the extra weight in back is you can adjust the shocks to compensate. For me the extra weight on the front would not be welcomed as I find the front suspension soft enough as it is, then throw the weight of a tire up there and I'd be bouncing the front skid off everything.

DesertRat

DesertRat

Jun 12, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
The nice part about the extra weight in back is you can adjust the shocks to compensate. For me the extra weight on the front would not be welcomed as I find the front suspension soft enough as it is, then throw the weight of a tire up there and I'd be bouncing the front skid off everything.

Good point, the front of the 700 bottoms out easily as it is - I'm thinking to mount the spare up front and replace the front shocks with ones that are adjustable. I just ordered a set of Fox1.5 PODIUM C shocks, which are supposed to be adjustable - hopefully, that'll allow me to redistribute some weight, free up some cargo area, and get a smoother ride.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Good point, the front of the 700 bottoms out easily as it is - I'm thinking to mount the spare up front and replace the front shocks with ones that are adjustable. I just ordered a set of Fox1.5 PODIUM C shocks, which are supposed to be adjustable - hopefully, that'll allow me to redistribute some weight, free up some cargo area, and get a smoother ride.
They will. Good purchase!

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Man I like that. I'd really like to see more pics of the mount and I'd like to see the tray.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep, I think I need to do both of these. I like the spare up there to help push through brush.

I have a plastic tote under the hood but I worry about durability. The metal is superior

Reactions: DesertRat
DesertRat

DesertRat

Jun 12, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yep, I think I need to do both of these. I like the spare up there to help push through brush.

I have a plastic tote under the hood but I worry about durability. The metal is superior

I also put a wide strip of the Velcro across the tray and the bottom of my tool bag to help keep it in place; and I wrapped the bag tightly with a couple of Velcro straps to help keep things from bouncing and sliding around. I didn't want it bumping the fuse box.

DesertRat

DesertRat

Jun 12, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Now, it overheats after a few minutes of cruising at 43 mph!!! Probably, not enough air through the spare.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have never had mine up to 43 for more than a few seconds. I just can't imagine how it could be blocking ALL the air.
Hmmmmm. Take the tire off and try running 43 under the same conditions.

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
That sucks but kinda makes sense. At 43 she's giving you all she's got! So what could be a cure... All I can think is possibly get some kind of hood scoop or Louvers that direct air to the radiator, relocate the radiator (like dedicated mud trucks do), or put the spare either higher or lower, or just move it altogether.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Looking at your rig again, I bet you could mount some type of fins/deflectors/shroud type thing to the bumper on either side of the tire that would funnel the air back into the radiator

You get your fox shocks yet @DesertRat?

DesertRat

DesertRat

Jun 12, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Looking at your rig again, I bet you could mount some type of fins/deflectors/shroud type thing to the bumper on either side of the tire that would funnel the air back into the radiator

You get your fox shocks yet @DesertRat?

Good idea about the fins - I'll work on that. I did get the Fox shocks installed and they do make a HUGE difference - I'm still tweaking them to get the best ride, but they've already helped quite a bit.

Reactions: Tflynn
DesertRat

DesertRat

Jun 12, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Good idea about the fins - I'll work on that. I did get the Fox shocks installed and they do make a HUGE difference - I'm still tweaking them to get the best ride, but they've already helped quite a bit.

I couldn't get the fins installed, but it doesn't overheat if I keep it under 33 mph - I drove it a few hundred miles now in some severe temperatures, climbing some pretty steep mountains, and it did fine as long as I kept the speed down

Russel

Russel

Apr 26, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Ownership

1. 700-4
Now, it overheats after a few minutes of cruising at 43 mph!!! Probably, not enough air through the spare.
@ DesertRat, If you are not getting enough air, maybe drill some holes in the metal basket? The problem maybe not getting enough circulation. It will still be strong enough and with the airflow, you will have the water drain out as well, if you go through a creek or large puddles.

box3 - TEST

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!