P500 Speedometer inaccurate?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3748

I'm upgrading my tires this weekend and wanted to run some speed tests with the stock tires to see what effect the bigger tires have. I used the GPS on two cell phones compared to the speed displayed on the speedometer. I'm hoping cell phone GPS is very inaccurate because it's a lot different than the speedometer and not in the good way.

Watch the video in HD and full screen to see the speeds on the phones. If you can't see it, the speedometer reads 4-5 mph faster than the phones.

I know a lot of you will be asking me "Man, where did you get that cell phone mount?" Believe it or not, I made it myself.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm upgrading my tires this weekend and wanted to run some speed tests with the stock tires to see what effect the bigger tires have. I used the GPS on two cell phones compared to the speed displayed on the speedometer. I'm hoping cell phone GPS is very inaccurate because it's a lot different than the speedometer and not in the good way.

Watch the video in HD and full screen to see the speeds on the phones. If you can't see it, the speedometer reads 4-5 mph faster than the phones.

I know a lot of you will be asking me "Man, where did you get that cell phone mount?" Believe it or not, I made it myself.

HaHa...
get on it....
Thats...interesting
Thanks for letting me know...
my p5 is slower...than I thought...
haha
Great info vid....
props

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

HaHa...
get on it....
Thats...interesting
Thanks for letting me know...
my p5 is slower...than I thought...
haha
Great info vid....
props
BUt with your bigger tires it may be right on. I'm gonna finish the speed test tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Reactions: rocmar
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

With stock tires my P5 reads 3- 4 mph faster than it is actually going .

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We all know that the p5 is not very fast, so what. It's way more fun to ride a slow machine fast than a fast machine slow.
I get A LOT of crap about my speed with my machine. You know what I know where I'm going and I'll catch up to the group when we stop and have our meeting places. I'm along for the ride not about the speed. I ride with a lot of Polaris people and a couple p1ks. When they give me crap I just say I get where I'm going and I don't need to be the fastest person on the ride. I usually stick to the back because I know my speed and I just putz along. All I have to say to them is RELIABILITY

D

Deleted member 3748

With stock tires my P5 reads 3- 4 mph faster than it is actually going .
I think it's going to be like @bucky said and will be pretty close to accurate with the 26s on there.

Going 42 is one thing... Barely faster than the Spree I rode in the 80s is another. :D

Reactions: trigger
advertisement
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500

You had better get a patent on that mount Piston, otherwise someone will copy it, get a patent and make million of dollars and upgrade to a P1K.

D

Deleted member 3748

You had better get a patent on that mount Piston, otherwise someone will copy it, get a patent and make million of dollars and upgrade to a P1K.
LOL. I should at least try to disguise it with some of that crazy paint the car manufacturers use on their secret cars.

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All modern motorcycle speedometers are 5 to 10% off (slower than actual speed). The faster you go the higher the percentage is off. I would think ATV/UTV's would be the same. Now throw on different sized tires and it gets even worse.

Some helpful sites;

Calculator - Speedometer Adjustment for Tire Size Change | Interco Tire

Official home page of the Yellow Box Speedo Recalibrator

For reference: My 1000 with stock tires is dead on with GPS at 66mph.

I have had several motorcycles that were WAY off at 70mph

D

Deleted member 3748

All modern motorcycle speedometers are 5 to 10% off (slower than actual speed). The faster you go the higher the percentage is off. I would think ATV/UTV's would be the same. Now throw on different sized tires and it gets even worse.

Some helpful sites;

My speedo is showing faster than actual speed. The larger tires will bring the speedo closer to actual speed.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The 27" Terrabites put the speedo within 0.5-1mph of my Garmin GPS. I sat down and did the math before I bought tires, figured if I was going as fast a the speedo said if be happy. It worked out great.

D

Deleted member 3748

The 27" Terrabites put the speedo within 0.5-1mph of my Garmin GPS. I sat down and did the math before I bought tires, figured if I was going as fast a the speedo said if be happy. It worked out great.
I'm running the 26" test tomorrow, today was lake day. :D

E

ebkoz

Feb 27, 2017
new jersey
All modern motorcycle speedometers are 5 to 10% off (faster than actual speed). The faster you go the higher the percentage is off. I would think ATV/UTV's would be the same. Now throw on different sized tires and it gets even worse.

Some helpful sites;

My speedo is showing faster than actual speed. The larger tires will bring the speedo closer to actual speed.

You are correct, sorry for the brain fart. I made the correction on my post "speedo shows faster than the actual speed.

D

Deleted member 3748

Here are my findings. I may write up a separate thread for the Rip Saws after I give them some field tests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rocmar and trigger
D

Deleted member 3748

Crap. I'm going to have to do it one more time. I forgot to save it in HD. :mad:

EDIT: Video in the post above has been updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!