BOX1

Spring 2019 in the San Juan Mountains

Durangotang

Durangotang

Feb 24, 2018
Just outside Durango, CO
I've been itching to take the P500 up into the mountains even thought I know many roads are still blocked with tons of snow. So Friday I gave it a try - launching just east of Silverton heading up County Road (CR) 2 toward the ghost town of Animas Forks and Hwy 110 toward Corkscrew Pass.

Here's CR 2 at the point I was stopped by snow. This view is looking back down valley in the direction of Silverton.
DSC 0196

Without a set of tracks I'm not going any farther this way!
DSC 0198

Check out the snow bridges over the Animas River alongside the road. Earlier in the spring these can look deceptively solid but you can break through to the river below. Notice the fallen portions and the cracks where the snow has begun caving in.
DSC 0204

Water is gushing out of every valley, crag and split in the high country.

DSC 0201

This shot gives you an appreciation of the amount of snow packed into avalanche shoots. San Juan County road crews have been had at work to open this route as far as then have.
DSC 0209

And in an avalanche if the snow doesn't smother you the trees and rocks being carried down will make you feel like you're in a blender. Here's a debris pile from a slide path. All the power poles along this route were taken out by the slide.
DSC 0213

After lunch in Silverton I headed up Hwy 110. And another beautiful waterfall pouring out of the mountains.
DSC 0222

Rivers are flowing at full capacity. Here's a side flow into Cement Creek.
DSC 0245

Another avalanche slide.
DSC 0223

Up past Silverton Ski area and heading higher.
DSC 0226

Now above the tree line. Snow depth is often dependent on where the snow drifted and how much sun the spot receives.
DSC 0235

Isn't it a great feeling when your driveway is finally shoveled out!;)
DSC 0239

Once again it's the end of the road for now.
DSC 0236

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!