P500 startron

J

JTW

Stabil will not gum things up, not adding enough will. There are two main categories of antioxidants for fuel stability, hindered phenols and PDA(pheylinediamine). Stabil is PDA that is diluted with a kerosene type solvent. The BG products are good and are primarily aromatic solvents and detergents.

Once a fuel gums you cannot fix it you can only add detergents(fuel injector/carb cleaner) or solvents(seafoam) to help.

Stabil, Startron, any of the stability additives will work but if the fuel is already degraded it wont help. Also depending on the composition of the gasoline the stability can vary greatly.

I am a Chemical Engineer with 26 years of experience in treating gasoline and diesel and even selling components to the people who bottle the additives.
Yah yeah yeah... well I read some stuff on the internet so I'm pretty sure that trumps all your fancy words!

Reactions: Neohio and joeymt33
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Yah yeah yeah... well I read some stuff on the internet so I'm pretty sure that trumps all your fancy words!
Me too, and on infomercials at 3:00am, that's why I am going to be wealthy and live until I am at least 200 years old.

but on the fuels and lube oil side I will never steer you wrong. I have made many brands of motor oil and sold additives to all of them for motor oils, diesel, marine fuels and gasoline. Also helped most refiners deal with the ever changing crude oils on the market.

Reactions: JTW
M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Me too, and on infomercials at 3:00am, that's why I am going to be wealthy and live until I am at least 200 years old.

but on the fuels and lube oil side I will never steer you wrong. I have made many brands of motor oil and sold additives to all of them for motor oils, diesel, marine fuels and gasoline. Also helped most refiners deal with the ever changing crude oils on the market.
In your opinion is startron worth a try for a storage treatment to combat ethanol?

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
In your opinion is startron worth a try for a storage treatment to combat ethanol?
Yes it will help however if truly worried about ethanol I would use the Stabil Marine formula it has extra corrosion inhibitor in it. The problem with ethanol is its hydroscopic and absorbs water and can lead to corrosion if you have a metal tank. It also was not compatible with the rubber and plastic in older engines. Ethanol is stable it is the gasoline that degrades over time causing gums so yes Startron will help. Me personally I would add Stabil at about 1.5 to 2x the recommended dosage. In my testing of gasoline antioxidants the PDA active in stabil is the most effective in most cases.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
FWIW: I use startron in my boats when I am unable to find non-ethanol gas. Except for vehicles, run non-ethanol in everything, including P500.

9dave9

Dec 23, 2017
Mi
Ownership

1. 500
Seafoam is an aromatic solvent that is very good at dissolving gums and resins, the Startron and the active ingredient in Lucas, and Stabil is an antioxidant to prevent oxidation of the gasoline. I am a chemical engineer with 26 years experience with making and treating finished fuels. If you use your gasoline quickly then you do not need to add anything as all gasoline sold has to pass a corrosion and stability test but they will still degrade over time so additional antioxidant is needed. However once it degrades you cannot fix it only use a solvent like seafoam or extra detergent like the carb and fuel injector cleaners to keep the gums and resins from sticking.

I had a Honda CRF230L that gummed up. High speed jets plugged. Ran Sea Foam about 6000 miles didn’t help. Changed to Startron, after about a 1000 miles it was running like new! I’m sold!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had a Honda CRF230L that gummed up. High speed jets plugged. Ran Sea Foam about 6000 miles didn’t help. Changed to Startron, after about a 1000 miles it was running like new! I’m sold!
Wow, I never heard of it. Where do you get it?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'll look next time I'm at Napa, like tomorrow.

I’ve wanted to buy it but dang it’s expensive. I keep finding the Marine Stabil for sale at $18 for quart. That’s not too bad. I’ll try some next time and see how it treats me.

J

JTW

I’ve wanted to buy it but dang it’s expensive. I keep finding the Marine Stabil for sale at $18 for quart. That’s not too bad. I’ll try some next time and see how it treats me.
One ounce treats 16 gallons.. the small bottle is 8 ounces..

53A5C8B1 3851 4F76 B6EA 75D523E40D03

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
One ounce treats 16 gallons.. the small bottle is 8 ounces..

View attachment 61005

I have seen it at our local Ace Hardware and I can’t remember the price but I definitely wasn’t going to buy any. They typically seem to be higher on everything then other hardware stores in town.

Is that Amazon price pretty close to what I should find?

J

JTW

I have seen it at our local Ace Hardware and I can’t remember the price but I definitely wasn’t going to buy any. They typically seem to be higher on everything then other hardware stores in town.

Is that Amazon price pretty close to what I should find?
I usually buy it at Walmart... they usually have the small bottles and they’re $7-8... so yeah, Amazon is right there. I don’t use a lot of it as we have conventional gas around here and I try to use it in all my older equipment, small engines and other machines that don’t get ran a lot.

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I usually buy it at Walmart... they usually have the small bottles and they’re $7-8... so yeah, Amazon is right there. I don’t use a lot of it as we have conventional gas around here and I try to use it in all my older equipment, small engines and other machines that don’t get ran a lot.

Copy that, I always buy corn free fuel locally as well. However I buy 80-100 gallons at a time and treat all of it. That’s what fuels the Hondas and all other small engines. It’s just nice to know when and if I shut something down for a few months it will start when I need it.

J

JTW

Copy that, I always buy corn free fuel locally as well. However I buy 80-100 gallons at a time and treat all of it. That’s what fuels the Hondas and all other small engines. It’s just nice to know when and if I shut something down for a few months it will start when I need it.
Agreed!!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone tried startron enzyme fuel additive?
I switched from stabil to startron a year ago, wouldn’t say it’s hands down better but it takes less ounce per gallon ratio to treat the gas. It seems to really shine in cold weather in my opinion, easier starting. I also use premium gas in all of my toys and that seems to help as well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!