Starts but hardly moves

N

Napattacker

Mar 23, 2015
I have a 2012 Honda big red that was running fine, but yesterday while driving it slowly, it abruptly stopped. The engine runs fine, but acts like the emergency brake is on. Won't go forward and reluctantly goes backwards. Does this sound like a brake malfunction or transmission ?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Nap, welcome to the community. I been thinking on this since you posted. And I don't have a answer right now.

If you put it in "N" will it roll freely? If so it's not a brake issue.
Is the display flashing any? And is it displaying the "D" and "R" correctly?

N

Napattacker

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks for the response. It is resistant to roll freely in neutral. I pulled the right rear tire off and it seems the brake disc is in contact with the rotor. It makes a metallic rubbing noise when I turn the hub. There is moderate resistance turning the hub to simulate reverse and strong resistance in attempt to simulate forward motion. When the problem started it seemed the brakes or transmission had seized. Forward attempt felt like accelerating with brake depressed. Was able to drive in reverse but intermittently it had difficulty rolling. I'm not a mechanic and there isn't an obvious explanation or clue to the problem. Thanks for any opinions.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Napattacker said:
Thanks for the response. It is resistant to roll freely in neutral. I pulled the right rear tire off and it seems the brake disc is in contact with the rotor. It makes a metallic rubbing noise when I turn the hub. There is moderate resistance turning the hub to simulate reverse and strong resistance in attempt to simulate forward motion. When the problem started it seemed the brakes or transmission had seized. Forward attempt felt like accelerating with brake depressed. Was able to drive in reverse but intermittently it had difficulty rolling. I'm not a mechanic and there isn't an obvious explanation or clue to the problem. Thanks for any opinions.
The metallic sound could very well mean that your brake pads are worn down to the metal backing of the pads.One possibility is that the brake rotors are sticking on[not releasing like there supposed to] this would cause the pads to wear plus act like what your describing. Another thing is what are the wheel bearings like. have you had the machine in lots of water and mud. What I would say to anyone else is maybe pull your brake caliper off and see if the wheel in question turns freely, if it spins easily then the culprit in more then likely a sticky caliper,at the same time you'll see if the pads are worn down to the steel. Before you pull stuff apart make sure you have a large c-clamp so that you'll beable to push the piston of the caliper back in or you won't beable to put it back on especially if you have to put in new pads.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!